Main Menu

Zenith

Started by 2 Cats & a Dog, 15 February, 2007, 11:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 Cats & a Dog

Is there any chance 2000 AD are going to reprint the Zenith series again? Can't find any of them in any store.

Rob Spalding

Nope.  Is the short answer.

Buttonman

Dodgey people occassionally sell them on a disc on eBay but are quickly (and correctly) closed down by Rebellion's lawyers. The Titan books come up too but usually attracy the big bids.

Just reread Phase 3 and it were great as always. It's always Peter StJohn who saves the day while Zenith plays the arse. They should film it for TV, call it 'Saint Peter' and have Michael Heseltine in the lead.

I'm moving to the 'more is less' camp with Zenith as the dot com resurection was poor. At the end of  phasethree Zenith asks what comes next now the universe has been saved. Less was inevitably his answer.

Radbacker

I would so love to read all the Phases of this, only read end half of Phase 2(in a 2000AD Cclassoc reprint I think) and Phase 3 and I must say it got me into Superhero comics.

CU Radbacker

TordelBack

One of the great things about Zenith is how very different each of the 'Phases' are, while dear old Zenith remains virtually unchanged, despite occasional subtle hints that he's a bit smarter than he lets on.

The most underplayed book, Phase II, is my favourite.  In addition to a very clever script, this is the finest art Yeowell has ever produced, and the fight between Zenith and his poor old Dad is a masterclass in comics choreography.  It's a terrific piece of work.

Mangamax

... and i'm thinking of selling my GN's of the fella - keep an eye on eBay
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Matt Timson

Tsk!  Spoilers, TordelBack!

But yes, Yeowell at his finest- before he went all wibbly wobbly lines...
Pffft...

thinky

But yes, Yeowell at his finest- before he went all wibbly wobbly lines...

unfortunately my abiding memory of PhaseII was the amount of black ink that came away in my hands and the shonkyness of the printing which left areas that should have been completely black, instead a mottled grey

however, as part of my non-chronological re-read, i think i'll dig out all the Zeniths and read them in one go. with washing up gloves on...

thinky
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

IndigoPrime

:: i'm thinking of selling my GN's of the fella

You, sir, are mad.

Here's my 'dream' never-going-to-happen Zenith tetralogy trade set (page counts in brackets):

TYGERS (approx. 100pp)
Phase 1 (81)
Interlude 1 (5)
Interlude 2 (5)
Bonus: cover gallery (535, 536, 540, 544, 549, 558)
Bonus: design sketchbook

THE HOLLOW LAND (approx. 100pp)
Phase 2 (92)
Bonus: Maximan text story
Bonus: cover gallery (590, 595, 599, 605)

WAR IN HEAVEN (approx. 150pp)
Mandala: Shadows & Reflections (redrawn by Yeowell) (8)
Phase 3 (133)
Bonus: cover gallery (627, 630, 653, 670)

WORLD WITHOUT END (approx. 100pp)
Phase 4 (reinked and de-coloured by Yeowell) (84)
zzzzenith.com (8)
Bonus: cover gallery (792, 797, 805)

Trout

"Decoloured"?

Nice one.

- Mad Mental Crazy Trout

IndigoPrime

:: "Decoloured"? Nice one.

Hence also the reinking! :)

If the spat with Morrison ever comes to an amicable settlement, I'd like to think that Yeowell redrawing the annual story wouldn't be entirely outside of the realms of possibility (after all, those books should be BIG sellers), although I imagine, sadly, we'd be stuck with the original art (which wasn't actually bad, but it really wasn't 'Zenith').

Trout

Is that the Mandala thing?

I do remember the Maximan/Mantra story which was drawn by someone else. Wasn't that in a special?

I'll investigate tomorrow. Which annual(s) should I look for?

ming

O Mad Mental Crazy Trout:

Mandala: Shadows & Reflections - 2000AD annual 1990; Morrison and the wrong McCarthy (Jim).

Maximan - 2000AD Winter Special 1998; Morrison and M. Carmona (who he?).

ming

i.e. in this http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/specials/mediumres/2000ad90.jpg> and this http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/specials/mediumres/winter88.jpg>

Funt Solo

Zenith     
[Phase 1]    535-550
A Zenith Interlude: 1 Whitlock    558
A Zenith Interlude: 2 Peyne    559
Phase II    589-606
A Zenith Interlude: 3 Maximan    WS1
Phase III (part 1)    626-634
A Zenith Interlude: 4 Mandala    2KA'90
Phase III (part 2)    650-662 / 667-670
Tales Of The Alternative Earths    WS3 (T)
Phase IV    791-806
zzzzenith.com    p2001
++ A-Z ++  coma ++