Main Menu

Does anyone know if future shock submissions should be 4 or 5 pages long?

Started by azure_reflection, 06 April, 2012, 02:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azure_reflection

Hi everyone!

I'm sure this has come up before but I can't find it on the forums.

I'd like to submit a Future Shock script to 2000AD, however, I am unsure as to what the length should be. On this page:

http://www.2000adonline.com/submissions/

They say at one point that they should be four pages and in other places that they should be five. Looking back at past, published future shocks, they vary in length (some really old ones as short as 2 pages). Here are quotes from the page:

"... if you've never had a script published in 2000 AD, you should start by sending in ideas for one-off, four-page Future Shocks. You've got to learn to walk before you can run."

and then:

"Future Shocks are self-contained, five page science-fiction short stories ..."

Thank you for your help!

Mardroid

For a good while, they were taking 5 pages, but the more recent Future Shocks have been 4.

I think as far as guidlelines are concerned it's simply a mistake in re-editting (i.e. they were able to change one occurrence, then missed the other).

Don't take that to mean they're NOT taking 5 pages any more. I just don't know, (maybe someone will be along to confirm either way) but that seems to be the case. A shame really, as I've written a few strips in the five page format. I delayed sending them in as I wanted to get some small-press work under my belt first. Maybe I should have just submitted one of them and gone for the sp work in the mean-time, but I thought it would look good in the cover letter to show Tharg I've been active in the scene before. (I'm not suggesting that's the only reason for submitting to small-press work, it's a great thing to be involved in for it's own sake.)

azure_reflection

Thanks Mardroid.

I guess I'll write to Matt Smith and check. Do you know if there's an editor's email address or do I have to actually post my query (not very "the future").

BTW, I'm running a new small press magazine call 9th Art Magazine:

http://www.9thartmagazine.com/

I'm about to put up some posts in the Books and Comics forum and the Creative Commons forum. Would be great to read your scripts.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: azure_reflection on 08 April, 2012, 01:34:32 PM
I guess I'll write to Matt Smith and check. Do you know if there's an editor's email address or do I have to actually post my query (not very "the future").

I wouldn't do that - someone I know tried and didn't get a reply so just guess at four and send it. Quite a few people have had this issue and it's a bit of a thing. Should be cleared up by someone officially really.

Emperor

Of course, if you send 5 and the story is great but they want 4 pages then they'll suggest cutting it down.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

azure_reflection

OK, I'll just keep it at 4 and send it off. Thanks again for the advice.

I suppose if it's great (fingers crossed) but four pages and they want five they can ask for another page.