Main Menu

Basic Argumentation, And The Causing Of Offence

Started by Jim_Campbell, 04 June, 2019, 11:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 June, 2019, 10:26:22 AM
Quote from: Frank on 12 June, 2019, 10:00:30 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 June, 2019, 09:35:05 AM
Netherlands Discovers 'Achilles Heel' of Euthanasia.

I've seen a lot of passive aggressive behaviour on the internet, but posting that here represents a new low

I thought we might have a discussion about an interesting topic. That's all.

.. and I genuinely thought you'd posted on the wrong thread. I assumed that link was intended for the YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH* thread and was making what I hoped was a hilarious joke about your (assumed) error.

To be honest, now I know different, I still can't join the dots and follow you through the Looking Glass, but in the spirit of TordelBack's restorative practice, I'll apologise and vow to reflect further on my role in the misunderstanding.

Sorry, Shark.

* I was going to point out that The State has had several chances to let you be taken off its hands by entirely natural causes, but I've lost confidence in my abilities as a Shark whisperer

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: dweezil2 on 12 June, 2019, 10:14:12 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 05 June, 2019, 10:18:58 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 05 June, 2019, 08:34:37 PM
Sweet feckin Jesus, would ye ever just turn off your computers and go outside?

"I only said I dun gone outside so they wouldn't give me another jalfrezi enema!"

I really miss Monkey Dust the world could really do with the program right now!
Sadly due to Harry Thompsons death due to lung cancer (he wasn't even a smoker apparently, utterly tragic) it seems the most under rated animated comedy will remain in it's cult statues.

Also I suspect theres zero chance of seasons 2 and 3 getting a dvd release after 15 years.

The Legendary Shark

Your apology is accepted, Frank. I'll have it dry-cleaned and returned to you presently because it's just not necessary.

I have expressed, on this very thread and no doubt very irritatingly, my yearning for a safe space for discussion and debate without the more caustic parts. Wouldn't it be great, the idealist on my shoulder whispered, if we could turn this very thread to that purpose - a place of debate where offence is not given, not taken and not tolerated. And whether this notion can manifest or not remained, buzzing about aimlessly in the weed-riddled garden of my mind.

When I read the article I linked to, I thought it raised some interesting questions and might do as a springboard for a discussion in the way I'd hoped.

I can see where I went wrong, though. Wrong article. Back-fire. Blinks stupidly. WOMP-womp.

The dots hereby joined, I return your apology unused as it's not required and offer you an apology of my own. It's worn a bit thin in places and some of the edges are a bit tatty but it's one of my oldest and best, "sorry for being such a knucklehead" apologies. Good throughout the Commonwealth, that is. Except the UK, obviously - Mrs Windsor and I are at loggerheads for the moment.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

The Legendary Shark

So? If we look at only one side, how can we understand either?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 June, 2019, 12:53:47 PM

Because I already know how racism works.

The Legendary Shark

This conversation is not progressing in anywhere near the direction I'd hoped for.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Professor Bear on 12 June, 2019, 02:01:01 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 June, 2019, 12:53:47 PM

Because I already know how racism works.

Also, lie down with dogs...
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Does this mean that knowledge can only come from pure sources? And who decides what is a pure source and which are impure?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Frank

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 June, 2019, 04:18:55 PM
Does this mean that knowledge can only come from pure sources? And who decides what is a pure source and which are impure?

This might prove a more productive strategy, mate:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/jan/18/death-on-demand-has-euthanasia-gone-too-far-netherlands-assisted-dying

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 June, 2019, 02:50:27 PM

This conversation is not progressing in anywhere near the direction I'd hoped for.

I know that feeling. ;-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 June, 2019, 04:30:50 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 June, 2019, 02:50:27 PM

I know that feeling. ;-)

:lol:

Best post of the whole thread (but then the bar was not set very high tbh)

Hawkmumbler

Preferably one that doesn't push Anti-Trans Right Rhetoric.

Tjm86

... who decides what is a pure source and which are impure?

That's easy.  Torquemada and his Thought Police.

"Be pure, Be vigilant, Behave!"