Main Menu

Stubbs The Zombie

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 12 October, 2009, 07:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Reinstalled this game last night, but on a newer computer and once I got it running reliving memories of the first time I played this up to a certain stage I couldn't beat. The bald headed guy with chaisaw in a shopping mall.

The American 1950's perspective of sci/fi, horror genre.

With this the grainy resolution with the faint black vertical lines. A sign of old, imperfect and ware n tare, on old film reels, old movie projectors.

Cities of the future, hover cars, robot workers and................Zombies.

It's like one of the nicer cleaner sector of Mega City One.

Perhaps when they first built the city, and the robot revolution.

As I compared this to Dredd vs Death and thought well...., it's got some elements and yet it's still not quite there.

In itself it's great fun, and can stand alone.

The game itself, with it's heavily parodied soundtrack. You can listen to all the songs if stick the play disc into a audio cd player. So this game, reminds me even more of a latter version of Redneck Rampage A game I still have and never completed. With it\s slight skewed vision of the mid western American. Backwoods folk, and alien abduction. the cartooney character stereotypes, and it even has a nine song soundtrack that can be played separatley on a audio cd player. The music, selected tracks from Mojo Nixen, The Beat Farmers, Reverand Horton Heat, and Cement pond. Their names say it all.

My problem with this game is some of the logic behind Stubbs the Zombie.

Like, what happened to him when he was still mortal.

I know there was a story there, I think he was a door to door salesman that got caught up in some nuclaer fallout and was buried. Thats all I got.

I know it's all in fun, but I like to make sence out of the the set of rules that what powers a zombie and how they work.

For instance, I thought it was abit overpowered that Stubbs regenerates when standing still.

Usealley Zombies eat flesh and it's become accepted in most horror genre that this is what empowers them, revitalises them, keeps them going.

Of course, Stubbs does get to eat brains, but there's no connection there. This, I believe recharges his secondary abilites, farting nerve gas, the exploding regenerating appendix organ, the wandering hand with the ability to possess.

While it also seems like neater way to zombify anybody he comes into contact with. Rather than beating them to death, often ripping off a arm or torso in the process.

Both of his attacks result in zombication.

I think the most accepted form of zombiciation in horror genre is biting. though it might be possible to pass it on throught the finger nails.

I would associate eating of brains with trying to possess the wisdom of the victim. Remmebr when those cannibal natives were trying to eat the brains of the asian wizard from Conan The Destroyer They though they would gain his magic and so that how I associate the one with the other.

I would be more impressed if ASPYR might have allowed Stubbs to gain some insight from eating the brains of certain victims. Probably map knowledge. The locations of speical rooms, switches to be flicked. Not all at once though. I would want Stubbs to eat the brains of several employees working for the same company to gain full knowledge of what they do and the place they work in. Eating the brains of police, sercurity, military personal might impart knowledge of firearms, combat moves, armed transports. With Scientests, computers, gadgets, mind powers and so on....

Brains should equal knowledge and perhaps a source of food.

As a after thought. Seeing the character stubbs framed in this futurist vision of America from the 1950's perspective. Reminds me of the sequel to Back To the Future, even the appearance of Stubbs, looks alittle like Michael J Fox in heavy zombie make-up. It looks like the same person underneath it all. You may need apply some imgination if you want ot see it my way.

House of Usher

May I put in the first vote for SCREEN GRABS?  :)
STRIKE !!!

ThryllSeekyr

House of Usher

What, are you teasing me now??  :)
STRIKE !!!

TheEdge

I remember stubbs being fun, is it worth digging out and reinstalling
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Goaty

Never reading TS message, but Stubbs the zombie a excellent game as saved it in my steam, well come on and play it, TheEdge! as see this image below...

bluemeanie

good call, not played that game since it came out and can now re do with the graphics ALLLL the way up.
Will put it on my replay list

Gavin_Leahy_Block

It's got a really good sound track too, if i remember correctly.

ThryllSeekyr

Yes, the game is worth digging out and playing again. Even though, I 'm now stuck in the part where Stubb's is forced into dance off againstthe Police comminisner --I'm just guessinghe's the comminisher.

Who keeps asking Stubb's after each failed attempt if he learnt to dance from a cow with leprousy.

I think there's a chance to skip this part, but I never took it. Thinking I could do this part and they only give Stubb's one chance. 

Quoting Gavin Leahy...

It's got a really good sound track too, if i remember correctly.

End oF Quote

As I was saying it has interesting soundtrack. Now I though heach song was a humerous play on the oriignal version, but I think they turn out to be cover music from the 50's era sung by the more comtempory artists.

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/6973967/a/Stubbs+The+Zombie.htm

I only know of two of those. The Dandy Warhol's by name and Cake. I have Fashion Nugget cd.

Still, some songs might have been reinvented as parodies. Don't know, not so sure.

Anyway, thats the faint connection between this game and Redneck Rampage --first game I ever brought for a high end PC that I own--  which has it's own track list of trailer trash styled music that can only be played separate from the game itself.

Games with a themed sountrack.

Have there ever been any other games that use the same gimmick?

Concerning my last comment about Michael J. Fox's supposed resembalnce to Stubb's himself. Perhaps that was abit rash, though it's too bad I already said it.

I was just getting a Back to the Future vibe and couldn't ignore the hover cars, mad scientiests, with the slightly other worldly science fiction themes of the alternative near future as it was presented in the game.