Main Menu

Megazine 4.18/200

Started by paulvonscott, 18 November, 2002, 07:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Well done to Dylan Teague, then! This issue will be filed away carefully with the time I won a competition, in a special place in my heart.

Truly and effusively pleased. Cracking art, too.

(By the way, Watch, it's more Oor Wullie than the Beano. IMO it's obvious - to us Scots - that Alan Grant has basically taken the mischievous little scamp from the Sunday Post and given him lumps.)

Lang may yer lumps reek!

- Trout

Slippery PD

Trout - yer devine perception, humbles us all.  I knew I had seen stories like this somewhere and of course, he's Oor Wullie!!  (Obviously, thereare no muties or blasters or much violence in Wullies strip).  King yer spot on!

As an aside, when I first met my English wife I told her to read Oor Wullie and the Broons, by heck, did she laugh......   But'n'Ben....  heheh
-yer Slippo "broon"

Trout

For complex cultural reasons, my wife had never encountered The Broons or Oor Wullie before she met me seven years ago.

Now she demands them every Christmas and laughs her head off at them.

I keep telling here all the stories are the same and it's basically shite, but she won't listen to me.

Jings, crivvens and help ma boab. Black bun and Mrs Green fae doon the stairs.

etc

- Trout

PS - hey can anyone spam a Dudley D Watkins scan, to show English boarders the Broons at their best-ever?

I'll have a look, but my web-fu is weak.

Trout

Hmmm. Will this work?

Oor Wullie

Your Wullie

A'body's Wullie!http://www.watkins.org/photos/captions/Wullie.shtml">

Trout

DavidXBrunt

Well the Beano is made by the same company that make 'Oor Wullie', D.C. Thompson.

Tu-plang

I've got an Oor Wullie book from when I was a little 'un, cept at the time I couldn't understand a f*ckin word of the Scot accents.

Dinnae Ken?  Who?

HiEx

I don't have my Meg 4.18 yet. I'm curious, how is the Durham Red photo strip? Actually, I'm suprised no one has commented on it/reviewed it yet.

HiEx

Tu-plang

I've not seen it either, but I'm not sure if it is a photo strip,. On the site here it credits Mark Harrison for fully-painted artwork.

Wake

That's because it isn't a photo strip....it's painted by Mark Harrison...at least it looks painted rather than computer coloured to me.

Wake

Tiplodocus

It's not a photostrip.

I guess nobody has reviewed it yet because it's self-indulgent twaddle taking pot shots at ridiculously soft and harmless targets when they could have done something with a bit of depth that hit at some of the real vampires/bloodsuckers of this world.  

Please spare us from more "biting" satire from Mister Abnett and getting him writing solid adventure stuff. ((In my humble opinion etc. of course.))
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

stodge

it's a wonder you could stand out against all the usual weirdo's that hang around in warrington bus station.  i bet they hardly noticed some sane looking person laughing.....

stodge

has everybody overlooked the classic line in young middenface which answers all our previous questions...."shut it dickhead!"  it was obviously planned from the start to look like a (insert slang name for penis here).

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, that Bus Station is a nutter magnet. I think it's the fact that no sun light ever penetrates the gloom.

HiEx

Just got my Meg 4.18 in the post yesterday.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Cover - No comment, but as I'm infected by Yellow Fever, I'm just not turned on by any non-oriental chick :) Still, I suppose that the actress chosen does a fair Durham Red.

Dredd - Didn't really like Radlander. Glad it's finally finished. And I'll say it again John Ridgeway draws crap Lawgivers!

Durham Red - As I said in another thread, I loved this story. Very funny with great writing and art well done to Abnett & Harrison.

Young Middenface - It was great getting a mention on the wall, still, i'm glad to see the end of the story. The art and writing was good, but I'm just not a Middenface fan.

Bendatti Vendetta - I'll have to try reading the whole thing in one go to see if it gets any better. Nice art, but the whole thing was let down by the fact that we never really got to know or care about the characters.

TPO- Great as always. Really looking forward to an expanded collected book edition.

Cinnabar - A cracking tale, made all the better as this is my first time to read it.

Scarlet Traces - Absolutely outstanding, with a real suprise ending with the death of many of the characters. I really hope we see more of this soon.

In conclusion, the high points were the Durham Red and Scarlet Traces stories, with the only real low point being the Bendatti Vendetta.

I must say, I'm really looking forward to Meg 201. The new line up sounds great. I mean three, count em,three Dredd stories! Devlin Waugh and the Fiends reprint. Kleggs coud be interesting as well.........can't wait,.

HiEx