Main Menu

Alan Moore retrospective at Ninth Art

Started by Marbles, 17 November, 2003, 04:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marbles

Lots of stuff on the great man, including opinions on Halo jones etc.

Nothing on his brilliant re-invention of 'Captain Britain' for Marvel UK sadly.

Link: http://www.ninthart.com/" target="_blank">Ninth Art

Remember - dry hair is for squids

Mr C

Retiring from "mainstream comics" eh?
How "mainstream" is 2000ad I wonder?

Trout

The great snake worshipper retires this month actually.

Does anyone know his birthday? He's 50 this month and that's it for him, he says.

He says. We'll see.

- Trout

paulvonscott

Tuesday the 18th of November it says on the ninth art site.  

I wish he hadn't done so much superhero stuff, but it's great to read anything he has done, just because he's made such a great job of it.

Mr Moore might never work for 2000AD again, but the work he has done is pretty much the type of  material they wouldn't publish these days anyway.  

On the recent Watchmen vs. V debate, I wish I'd said 'Well, I prefer Halo Jones'.

I've been having a bit of an Alan Moore read-through these last couple of weeks.  Not consciously timed to coincide with his Birthday, that would be creepy, I just really felt like reading this stuff again.  I've read both volumes of LOEG, Supreme, The DC Stories, V for Vendetta, Captain Britain (just great) as well as Tom Strong.

I've got some of his other collections (it's handy because most of his stuff seems to get hoovered up and repackaged) but I havn't felt the urge to scratch those itches.

Anyway, I look forward to whatever he comes up with next.  Hopefully an end to superheroes (surely the man has it out of his system now!) and more quirky personal projects.

W. R. Logan

Trout

So it's tomorrow!

Today is Affable Al Moore's last day as God of Comics!

Let's have a party!

I wonder if he's writing something today?

- Trout

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, a card with 'Happy Birthday my special little soldier, hugs from the snake god' which he'll post and then pretend to be surprised when he get's it in the morning, much to the shock and astonishment of Mrs. Moore and Miss Moore and young Master Moore. Life is one long round of hilarious snake god inspired pranks in the Moore household.

Trout

Yes, David. Here's an example of something I heard happened:

Mrs Moore: "AGH! What's that in the bed with us, Alan?"

Mr Moore: "Heh, heh, heh. It's a snake god..."

- Trout (sorry)

Oddboy

She must've been very scared... I heard that she left him for his other girlfriend. (Or somesuch)
Better set your phaser to stun.

The Amstor Computer

" I heard that she left him for his other girlfriend"

IIRC, wasn't he living with his wife and his girlfriend at one point? I also seem to remember he had a fairly big bust-up with Steven Bissette around the time he declared himself a "magician".

Trout

Bissett gives very detailed views on that on Alan Moore: Portrait of an Extraordinary Gentleman, a reasonably good book filled with drawings and writings and published to mark Alan's 50th.

Basically, Bissett expresses regrets and puzzlement over their falling out.

- Trout

The Amstor Computer

Yeah, I've picked up Bissette's side of the story - largely from discussions at the forum he runs. It seemed a really harsh thing for Alan Moore to do, and seemingly without any real reason. IIRC, it came at a particularly bad time for Bissette, in the middle of the breakdown of his marriage and his move away from comics.

All in all, it seemed like a really unpleasant and pointless episode.

Noisybast

Anybody catch his "Yuggoth Cultures" thing that was out recently? Twas a collaboration he started with Bryan Talbot years ago, which got shelved, and Talbot's gone back to finish it.

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

fastbak77

A review of CAPTAIN BRITAIN may still eventuate... ;)