Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

For all history buffs and people out there watch Chernobyl.  This is great 5 part mini-series on the what and how of the nuclear disaster. This was the bullet or the event that started the fall of Soviet Union.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Pyroxian

Quote from: broodblik on 07 June, 2019, 12:09:37 PM
For all history buffs and people out there watch Chernobyl.  This is great 5 part mini-series on the what and how of the nuclear disaster. This was the bullet or the event that started the fall of Soviet Union.

Yes, it's amazing. There's also an accompanying podcast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUeHPCYtWYQ , but also available from other podcast places)

Frank

Quote from: broodblik on 07 June, 2019, 12:09:37 PM

The highest-rated TV show* of all time, no less. I was sceptical of the hype, but John Wagner recommended it as the best TV show he's ever seen, which can't be ignored.

I'm struck by how closely Soviet-era Ukraine resembles eighties Scotland and can't help thinking this is exactly the kind of show the BBC was making back then, before bosses became dazzled by the idea of selling glossy melodrama to the global middle class.

* On IMDB

TordelBack

Mars. Okay, 375% too much Elon Musk (there's no safe dosage), and some of the perils were ludicrously contrived (lower a camera and a torch into that bottomless cavern before you try an actual person), but what a neat little gem of a thing that was. There were real groans frpm the kids when the mission was cancelled, and an actual cheer went up in our living room when those [spoiler]wriggly wotsits appeared on Marta's microscope[/spoiler] - that's how much the family was into it by the end. Ulifting and educational - now get on with it, people!

Bolt-01

Over the last two nights we've watched 'When they see us' on Netflix. We knew nothing of the story so went in largely blind.

The first of the four episodes is absolutely awful to watch - and I think that is deliberate. The treatment of the children involved in this story is horrific. Very few of the adult cast come out of this well.

The story as a whole is gripping and on the main it is superbly acted. Well worth watching.

karlos

The 70s kids show Shadows is currently showing on Talking Pictures channel daily at 5pm.

As all anthologies go, the quality varies but overall it's a great little show and drips atmosphere.

And surely it was an influence on misty?

IndigoPrime

Has Russian Doll already been mentioned on this thread? It starts off a bit Groundhog Day, but veers into some pretty messed-up places. Really smart stuff, and I suspect the general way it works would appeal to fans of 2000 AD Time Twisters and the like.

Dandontdare

I really loved Russian Doll - in fact, I might give it a rewatch to spot all those subtly changing details, which I never do so soon after watching something.

Apestrife

Cowboy Bebop. Utterly brilliant. Feels like I got "You're going to carry that weight" tattooed on my soul.

And with that happy pill of a series finished watching, now I'm on to continue watching Chernobyl. Watched the first ep. As amazing as it was terrifying. Which was alot.

Mardroid

Watched the Russian Doll series on Netflix recently.

I wasn't keen on the first episode,.although the Groundhog Day type scenario was intriguing, so I decided to stick with it.

I'm glad I did. It's a bit of a slow burner* but it got very interesting. And the characters I found annoying grew on me.

Watching Jessica Jones. Season 3 now. Only 2 episodes in, but it's okay so far.

Also watching What they do in the Shadows TV series on BBC iPlayer, where they're releasing 2 episodes a time.Quite good, and pretty amusing. Kind of more of the same, when compared to the film but not in a bad way. By 'same' I mean similar humour, not repeating storyline and jokes. Lovers of the film [spoiler]might get a kick out of episode 7 especially.
[/spoiler]
*If I'd watched it weekly, I'm not sure I'd have stuck with it, but it worked well binged.

Apestrife

Finished Chernobyl this weekend. In short, amazing. For me it's up there with The Wire and Generation kill when it comes to HBO.

The Legendary Shark

I've just discovered Star Trek Continues, and it's really rather good - far superior to Discovery. I've only downloaded the first six episodes so far but have already seen some smile-inducing guest stars such as ex-Who Colin Baker and the awesome Lou Ferrigno (playing an Orion slaver - painted green again!), as well as Marina Sirtis and Michael Dorn lending their voices to computers.

Absolutely worth watching!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

It was certainly curious to watch but thinking on, I couldn't figure why I'd want to watch something made today with fifty year old production values. The novelty wore thin pretty quick for me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mattofthespurs

Finally got around to watching the first four episode of the first series of Killing Eve.

It's rather good.

Tiplodocus

I'm actually really enjoying Russell T Davies' YEARS AND YEARS on iPlayer.

I didn't get on with it at first but the complex characters, wild ambition and great performances (even Tovey) have won me over.

That and dialogue like; "He's the sort of person that gets really happy when they find a big crisp!".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!