Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by radiator, 20 October, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Okami is now on Switch. Loved it on PS2, and it's still just as beautiful on Switch. The painting mechanic on the touch screen so works perfectly.

Tiplodocus

Latest Nintendo Direct had a few nuggets for me in there. Luigi's Mansion 3 is welcome and will be interesting to play NES games online (my first console was N64 and Game boy... shameful I know to wait until I was thirty) so haven't played many, if any of these.

Diablo looks fun and I might finally dip into Civilisation at V6. But I'd been thinking of starting table top gaming again so Pandemic might scratch that itch and also stop the missus moaning about me cluttering up the dining room table.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

My Switch is dicking about. When docked, it only connects to tv for a few seconds then flicks off to the switch screen then back to telly and then back. Basically unusable in docked mode. Which is annoying. Not sure if the Dock or Power Supply is the problem. But both are fecking expensive to replace.

Keef Monkey

Finally going to take the plunge and get one of these! If I see a good Black Friday deal I'll jump on it and if not will be checking the boxing day sales, might as well get it at a discount if possible.

Playing some lunchtime rounds of Mario Party at work plus the fact the new No More Heroes spin-off is almost out have tipped it into definite purchase territory for me now.

Apestrife

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 November, 2018, 12:29:33 AM
My Switch is dicking about. When docked, it only connects to tv for a few seconds then flicks off to the switch screen then back to telly and then back. Basically unusable in docked mode. Which is annoying. Not sure if the Dock or Power Supply is the problem. But both are fecking expensive to replace.

Been in contact with Nintendo?

Tiplodocus

Not yet. I'm worried I'll have to send it away. Plus Out of warranty I think - it was a day 1 purchase.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Mine is making a whirring noise when not in the dock. Bit worried.

But having fun with Runner 3, which is on sale at £8 and is highly recommended. I loved Runner 2 on the Wii U.
Lock up your spoons!

Keef Monkey

Did the deed and bought a Switch! Amazon have a £30 discount on the console just now for Black Friday and I'd already pre-ordered Travis Strikes Back which I guess sealed my fate! Looking forward to some tasty Mario action.

radiator

There's a massive sale going on on the eshop right now.

It looks like the titles on offer vary by region (I'm in the US) but there's a ton of great games available at discount, including the likes of DKC: Tropical Freeze, Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Skyrim etc plus dozens of indie titles.

I just picked up Undertale, The Messenger, Minit, Wild Guns Reloaded and Dead Cells.

Keef Monkey

Dead Cells is one game I plan to buy as soon as the Switch arrives today, I could get it on XB1 but it's the style of game that I know I'd much rather be able to take on trips. Eyeing up the sale I think I'll be grabbing that and Runner 3 because it looks good fun! Got the Mario Odyssey bundle so I'm sure that'll be all the game I'll need for a while.

Tiplodocus

Switch appears to be behaving again now.

Not sure if disconnecting the Wii U helped - saved having two boxes fighting for control of my tv screen even when Wii U switched off. Or If just making sure connectors were snug worked. I will be monitoring the situation.

Having a go at Zelda again. Love the drip feed of shrines and korok seeds to keep me exploring. But had forgotten about the one shot kills.

Apestrife

Of course the job put the christmas table AW on the same day as the release of Smash bros  :lol:

Also bought Grim Fandango on switch (4th time buying it). Magnificent game. Cannot recommend it enough. One of my absolute favorite stories, in any medium.

The Monarch

a nice touch i love in smash  is the fighters in simons classic mode are themed after castlevania mobs

Colin YNWA

Let me provide some context. The last games console I owned was a Playstation 1 and before that a Megadrive... so what I'm saying is I'm not well versed in the world of gaming.

Anyway I think I'm going to be getting one of these for the kids. Was waiting for pre-X-mas price drop... didn't come... thought okay post X-Mas price drop... didn't come. Chatted to some folks at work who know about this type of thing and they looked at me with sweet condensation and just said 'You might as well get it now. Its not going on sale anytime soon.'... so anyway I've saved the money for the fella me laddio and a game for each of the kids and one for me.

So can you help an old man out with a few questions

1. I started reading this thread but I'm old and lazy so stopped BUT why does this machine need storage... what would I be storing... I figure games would be cartridges as folks at work talked about swapping and lending... so that means not downloading ... right...??? So what's the storage good for?

2. How robust is it. One of the big appeals is the portability (is that what the storage is for?) so the kids can use it in the car and on travels etc. Not heard any complaints but will it survive children and is the screen 'solid'?

3. Games... I reckon I'll get myself Mario Kart as folks seem to like it and it gets good reviews and I loved playing on a friends SNES back in the day... and I don't think you can get Goldeneye... so yeah what about the kids? I was thinking Rocket League for the boy and the Lego Harry Potter games for the girl? I've looked and there are some great looking games but I'd like something that they can dip in and out of aren't like long epic story quest types things - Zelda looks great but its not really what I want it for. Some of the Mario games look good BUT I'm intrigued by these Indie or Nindie as I think they are called games. So any recommendation for less obvious choices. I think I want...

a) The game to be something that can be short and sweet when needed
b) Have cooperative and maybe combat play options
c) be okay for a 7 year old whose experience to this point is app games - he killed and loved 'Bacon Escape' and currently enjoys the Dangermouse running game ... lets avoid Pokemon we're got through that phase and need to go back there!

All thoughts welcome.

radiator

1. I believe the Switch comes with 32gb of internal storage, which will be used for system updates, game saves, screenshots/videos and installs (indie games as well as 'full' games can be downloaded onto the device from the online store or 'eShop'. 32gb will probably suffice for the short term at least, then you can look at picking up a micro SD card at a later date.

2. It's about as robust as a typical phone or tablet, perhaps slightly more so. Nintendo's consoles are usually built to last and fairly rugged but the Switch is still a piece of electronics so is unlikely to survive many droppages. In terms of the screen? It's fairly solid, but I've found that very few games utilise the touch screen anyway. I'd recommend picking up a screen protector though. The controllers/joy cons seem fairly temperamental - I had to ship one off for repair not long ago, but it was covered under warranty.

3. Mario Kart and Rocket League seem like a good shout. In terms of kid friendly games with good co op modes, I haven't played them personally but have heard very good things about Ultimate Chicken Horse, Snipperclips and Overcooked. The most recent Super Mario game - Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - is also a great simultaneous multiplayer player and singleplayer game, but will be on the expensive side. Fortnite - currently the most popular game in the world, is also available on the Switch and the base game is free.