Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

It seems like Britain will have the EU's trading regulations but not its benefits. And that is the best possible outcome, sadly.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexF

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 June, 2018, 06:51:23 PM
Totally agree IP: the problem we have to tackle is education, information and engagement, I think a more functional political establishment would inevitably follow, if only it could be done. 

If I may be so bold as to offer a solution to this problem  :D

https://usborne.com/browse-books/catalogue/product/1/12821/politics-for-beginners/

JayzusB.Christ

Putin and Kim are cool.  The EU is a 'foe'.  Where's it all going to end?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Condolences to any thriller writers currently trying to pitch a series which ends with POTUS exposed as a puppet of an enemy nation and/or "the American people" rising up and demanding he be removed from office.

In UK news, Vote Leave broke the law and so it was an illegitimate result.
In completely unrelated news, the government have voted to go on holiday immediately, seeing as they have no other pressing matters to attend to in this Parliamentary session.

Currently stocking up on tinned foods.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 July, 2018, 04:51:15 PM

Anarchy.

I doubt it. The most powerful man in the world loves despotic dictators and hates liberal democracies. 

The Legendary Shark

He's only powerful because ordinary people believe him to be powerful. Erode that belief, erode the power.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Angry Vince

As a kiwi, there are times when I am very glad to be about as far away from Europe as possible.

What I would like to see is someone coming up with definitive proof as to what Putin has over Trump, (business deals and dodgy goings on with prostitutes aside). With the bashing of Nato and cozying up to Russia, Putin has the perfect agent friend in Trump.
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

Angry Vince

Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

JayzusB.Christ

Professor Bear

Sensible, centrist, fully transparent think tank beloved of impartial BBC political editors The Adam Smith Institute has a solution to Britain's housing crisis, you guys - and unsurprisingly, it's a fucking doozy.

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 25 July, 2018, 11:49:43 AM
... BBC ...

I can't see this blog post referenced anywhere on the BBC site. Did you hear it mentioned on a BBC radio station or the TV news?

The Legendary Shark

One of the major roots of this problem is how the monetary system works. The more money is created (from debt), the less it's worth. The less money is worth, the more of it is needed to buy stuff. The more money is needed, the more people have to borrow. The more money people borrow, the more is created (from debt). The more money is created (from debt), the less it's worth...

This is how inflation is fuelled.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

As I understand it, the idea is that instead of real money, we use collateral and theoretical money instead - debt - and this means money retains its worth because while more (theoretical) money has been made or spent, there's only a certain physical amount of it that actually exists at any one time.  As long as no-one sits on big piles of it so it isn't in circulation anymore doing what money is supposed to, the economy chugs along just fine.

The main implication of this for me is that Scrooge McDuck was an utter monster that held the world economy hostage in the Duck Tales cartoon, hence people were always trying to kill him before he could accrue more wealth.  This also explains why the perverted bastard could walk around with no pants on in front of his nephews and no-one did anything.  Another childhood hero ruined forever.

The Legendary Shark

All money is essentially an illusion, a simulacra of energy/action. It's a construct that doesn't exist in Nature - but this is getting into deep philosophical water, which trouserless ducks enjoy, of course.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]