Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 1 - Steve Dillon or Fraser Irving

Started by Colin YNWA, 23 November, 2020, 06:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Yeah,  Dillon is another droid whose best work was in the prog, IMO.  Nothing but respect for his later collabs with Ennis, remarkable marathons of seemingly effortless storytelling, but nothing there is quite as sublime (for my taste) as his Dredds, Hap Hazard, Tyranny Rex or Cinnabar.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: broodblik on 23 November, 2020, 02:00:34 PM
Steve on Dredd:

Steve Dillon, and this is a great example why! As mentioned,  his Rogue/Cinnabar art is incredible too.

broodblik

Cinnabar's art where excellent but Kev Walker also needs credit for it
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Greg M.

He's one of the definitive Dredd and Rogue artists, but Dillon's ventures into co-creation for Tharg were about as auspicious as Cliff Robinson's. All right they were better than that, but his best stuff was on pre-existing strips. Irving, on the other hand, thrived on creation - bar Death, most of his strips were uniquely his. In some ways, that ought to make him the winner, but I'm afraid one thing stands in his way - the greatest werewolves ever drawn by any man who ever lived! (Especially on that Scream! cover, but that doesn't count here.) Awoooooo! Grud, his art's biting me - it's Dillon!

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

sixmo

Frazer Irving's work is spooky and creepy and unique. I enjoyed his Judge Death. It had spider-like quality to it which worked really well. His work on Necronauts was mind bending to behold too.

That City of the Damned work by Dillon was some of the earliest Dredd I ever read. The cinematic style just clicked with me. The flow of the movement of the characters just worked better than other artists versions. That story had a series of wildly different art styles every week too, but Dillon's was the best. Cry of the Werewolf is one of my all time favourite Dredd's, and A Christmas Angel is another cracker.

At the time I never really noticed just how ropey the late Hit era Rogue Trooper was because I was enjoying the Dillon art so much.

Ultimately, many many years later, when it came to creating a Judge uniform for my younger lad, the first port of call design-wise was the Dillon pattern helmet. (Works a lot better in 3D than some other styles too, I can tell you!). So, my pick this round is Steve Dillon.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: broodblik on 23 November, 2020, 04:21:32 PM
Cinnabar's art where excellent but Kev Walker also needs credit for it

True.  I hadn't really liked the simplified style Steve was developing before that, for The Hit and so on.  But when Kev joined him it was just amazing work.  Of course, even that dynamic duo couldn't save Michael Fleisher's Harlem Heroes.  As I said, I came here to vote for Frazer, but now I'm on the verge of flipping.  Leave it with me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Well tomorrow morning I count this final one up and Round 1 is done. We'll have a list of all folks going into the second round and I think we know who that will be from here, but throw your vote in today to be counted.

JayzusB.Christ

Alright, I'm convinced. I love Frazer Irving, but those old Dredds Steve did were just amazing.  Dillon it is.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Last couple of votes were relatively quiet a combination of the round running down and the fact that both were relatively one sided. I have to be honest I'd have struggled with this one. There is something so utterly comfortably about Steve Dillon's art but I think I'd have gone with Frazer on the basis that I've never seen anyone draw like that. Some of his technics felt so different and with astonishing results. He's absolutely one of my favourites. That said I'm also very happy to be able to say

Steve Dillon

is through to Round 2.