Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Lovely cover. Haven't read it other than a couple eps.

Any ideas which Wagner story they'v included? Remember it being Carroll-solo.

Tomwe

Facebook confirms 85 as "wogue wobots" featuring Robot Wars etc

oddballuk

Quote from: Tomwe on 07 March, 2018, 06:18:55 PM
Facebook confirms 85 as "wogue wobots" featuring Robot Wars etc

Loving that title.

Fungus

Apestrife

So out of volumes 86-89, one will be Anderson dead end and one Lawless. Any ideas on the two last ones?

Btw. Beeny is in Every empire falls? [spoiler]Member of the council of five[/spoiler]? Makes me think Wagner's story in Blood of the emeralds will be Terror rising.

robert_ellis

I have no insider info but Otto Sump & Kenny Who seem glaring omissions.

abelardsnazz

Great to see Mrs Gunderson join the cast of spine characters.

IndigoPrime

I finished Served Cold last night. I think that's one of the best books in the entire collection. In fact, it would have been criminal had this been omitted had the collection only been 80 books, given the likes of Heavy Mob. The only bad thing about it is it makes me realise how much I miss Al Ewing on Dredd.

Richard

Al Ewing was brilliant and we should get him back at once.

Apestrife

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 March, 2018, 10:17:30 PM
I finished Served Cold last night. I think that's one of the best books in the entire collection. In fact, it would have been criminal had this been omitted had the collection only been 80 books, given the likes of Heavy Mob. The only bad thing about it is it makes me realise how much I miss Al Ewing on Dredd.

I'm getting more and more hyped about the book! :)

Jade Falcon

I finished "Served Cold", all in all a really good book, though there were a couple of the shorter stories that weren't great.  Mainly for me the very last one with that wacky art style just didn't sit well with me, although I realise it was meant to be a bit off beat.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

abelardsnazz

For me, Served Cold didn't put a tight boot wrong. From the twists and turns of the Deller arc to the humour and action balance of the shorter stories, I was impressed. This extension is shaping up pretty well.

IndigoPrime

So my next set of Dredd books just arrived, before the 2000 AD ones. Erm. Anyway.

#84 is Blood of Emeralds. Fab blood-splattered badge cover, and a terse Dredd saying "What the hell's happened to my city?" on the intro page. Strips: Salvage; In Control; Caterpillars; Shotgun; Blood of Emeralds; Terror Rising; The Grindstone Cowboys; Dust to Dust; The Lion's Den; Reclamation; From the Ashes; a few covers; Michael Carroll interview.

Like the Ewing volume, this is essentially framed as a 'Michael Carroll' Dredd book; Wagner material is in there mostly for continuity reasons. It looks like it'll be a great read, and it's something of a doorstep – one of the biggest volumes in this series.

IndigoPrime

#85 is Wogue Robots, with some very old Gibson art on the cover. Strips: Krong; Robot Wars (with broadly decent repro, although the Gibson episodes don't come out too well at times); The Neon Knights; Walter's Secret Job; Walter the Robot: Friend of Dredd (i.e.17 single pagers – the colour strips are in colour – and a handful of standard-length stories, such as Hyper Cop)' Shynthi-Caf Vindilu; The Sleeper (hurrah – Geoff Senior Dredd!); Giant (Meg 2.50–2.52); Night of the Fog; Meka-City; Something Abnormal About Norman; Monsteroso; Attack of the Sex-Crazed Love Dolls; five covers; 'Automated for the People' essay.

For once, running these out of chronological order makes sense, I think, spreading out the older material a bit. It looks like a fun collection, even if there's some iffy material here and there.

Again, I'm glad I didn't stop at 80. It increasingly looks like these 'extra' volumes are all going to be good at worst and essential at best.