Main Menu

“One of the best runs ever. This is special.” – Mark Millar

Started by matty_ae, 14 October, 2019, 05:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

Why do we think this fantastic quote doesnt appear on the Small House book itself?

Does Mark Millar's Netflix deal prohibit it? Or is it just 2000ad dont usually use quotes on the front or back?

Odd.

matty_ae

Professor Bear

Well if anyone would know what makes a good Dredd story (etc)

Greg M.

I mean, it's all right, but it's no 'Judge Tyrannosaur'.

I'm not even sure if I'm being ironic.

Proudhuff

Rebellion have been plastering that quote everywhere, and quite right too... if it can make amends for past misdeeds  :-X
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Just re-read The Small House, and truly magnificent art aside, I still dont think it's that great a Dredd story. It just burns through good characters, chucks in a really implausible calculation from Smiley (that Dredd [spoiler]would inevitably win the war essentially singiehanded - what if e.g. Griffin's H-wagon hadn't been precisely where it was when the nukes fell? Or if drokkin' Walter and Maria hadnt rescued Joe from the Grand Hall? Or Anderson was killed?[/spoiler]), and an even dodgier one from Dredd (that [spoiler]Gerhart would be in place at precisely that moment, and that Hershey and Giant wouid simultaneously find all the invisible snipers[/spoiler]) and that's it.

It reads more like a meta-commentary than a story: Smiley is essentially the speccy nerd reader, seeong everything fp behind the fourth wall, sure that Dredd always wins, uneasy with the idea of a city that spans the whole east coast, needing everything to be just the way he wants it. Then pam! Take that reader!, It's a neat dea, but does it make a good Dredd story?

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 October, 2019, 05:07:49 PMIt reads more like a meta-commentary than a story

Weirdly, the moment the story lost me completely was the Mitchell And Webb Nazis Sketch bit when Smiley said "we're fascists."  I'm probably just being too finicky in thinking writers shouldn't explicitly state it in the text for the same reason Batman characters shouldn't say things like "you are a rich man beating up poor people" or "actually, Magneto you are being kind of a Nazi right now."

Richard

Tordelback has summed up my feelings about that story. Although I did like the bit when [spoiler]Smiley was sliced in half lengthways.[/spoiler]