Main Menu

JUDGE DREDD GOES INTO PRODUCTION FALL 2010

Started by Cyber-Matt, 13 May, 2010, 12:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARF

Buddy

Thomas Jane too wimpy, he'd need to seriously beef up although they can pad the suit out to give him more bulk i suppose.

I'd say go for Pearlman, no guarantee we'll get follow up movie so go balls out and make the best movie you can first so his age isn't an issue.

Death seems the obvious choice for bad guy but may be too supernatural for inclusion in what will be sold as a sci-fi film.

They need to show the city, what it is like to live there, why they need Judges etc...

Dredd is about crime and crime is what they must show.

Anything that appeared in the Stallone movie will be avoided here, they will not want to make any comparisons with that, so no Angel Gang, no Cursed Earth, no Day The Law Died storyline but hey... there are hundreds of other Dredd tales they can plunder for a plot.

And the Judges need to be real bad ass, zero tolerance stuff.

I'm trying not to get too excited about this, I really hope it's good but until I'm sittin there in the cinema with a grin on my face as the end credits roll I'll hold off on the woopin and hollerin.

Oh, and ditch the gimick 3D and spend the money on production.

JamesC

Great news!

If this turns out to be a hit it could have an amazing effect on Dredd's (and by association, 2000ads) profile.
Now we just need to hope that the ABCs cartoon is out around the same time and we'll have a multi-media 2000ad offensive!

radiator

QuoteDeath seems the obvious choice for bad guy but may be too supernatural for inclusion in what will be sold as a sci-fi film.

Anything that appeared in the Stallone movie will be avoided here, they will not want to make any comparisons with that, so no Angel Gang, no Cursed Earth, no Day The Law Died storyline but hey... there are hundreds of other Dredd tales they can plunder for a plot.

I've already said on the other thread, but I'd much rather they leave out all the big name villains for the first one - I'd quite like the antagonists to be a human threat like Whitey Logan or Total War - make the first movie a simple police procedural/chase movie - Wagner's rather vague description seems to suggest this may be the direction they're going in.

If there is ever a sequel then they afford to be a bit more ambitious and put some of the crazier elements from Dredd's world on the screen, but overall I hope they use Batman Begins as a template - trim all the weirder excesses from the source material and make it work in a more realistic context.

I quite like the idea of a really intense movie where there are numerous shoot outs, chases etc building to a nerve-shredding, action-packed climax, take the audience right to the edge of they're seat.... then at the end of the movie Dredd returns to base and the audience realise that as far as Dredd's concerned it's just been another ordinary shift!

Jared Katooie

vzzbux

ARSOM ARSOM ARSOM ARSOM.

I am trying not to get too excited about this and to keep me expectations low but TBH fuck it, it is going to be ARSOM.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

LARF

The City should be the protagonist. It should be Sci-Fi based but with Cop Show grounding. The whole film should be one day from start to finish with a big kick ass Graveyard shift, and a common thread - maybe a serial killer (Maybe?) running throughout as an arc to pull it all together.

No Death, Mean Machine or other large villans, it should be the streets and future crime that kick ass in this film. I want it raw, bloody and well [spoiler]fuckin[/spoiler] mean and moody with Dredd being the biggest and best mean and moody [spoiler]motherfucker[/spoiler] out there.

If any of you have seen District Nine think about the last 15 minutes of that film, gritty, raw and no holes barred... that's how I want my Dredd!

JOE SOAP

Thomas Jane would be fine by me, he's an excellent actor -Boogie Nights is a favourite- he's also a massive comic book fan.

Who said Jane is a wimp?

I hope this production goes well, shooting it in Jo'burg means that $1 is probably worth a lot more there.

vzzbux

How many of you put your hand over the top of his head in the photo. I know I did.

Not got the chin.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Kerrin

I am somewhat excited by this latest news.

May I politely ask that if there are bike cannons the sound effects actually make my ears bleed in the cinema. Thankyou.

And that they blow people to bloody chunks and a reddish mist.

Dredd wise, Josh Brolin has got a big old chin. And a suitably gruff voice.

skurvy

I think a little bit of wee just came out

Zarjazzer

The zenith of human achievement is at hand! Well apart from tacos and chip butties.  :)

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Lord Running Clam

This is great news and very exciting.

I wouldn't mind at all if they plumped for Thomas Jane to play Dredd.

I wonder what age range they're going to aim the movie at?

Emperor

How outrageous a casting decision would it be to have a very old Dredd as a framing device and have him played by Clint Eastwood?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

weehawk

Quote from: Garageman on 13 May, 2010, 08:11:13 PM
Thomas Jane would be fine by me, he's an excellent actor -Boogie Nights is a favourite- he's also a massive comic book fan.

...not only that, these are specifically his types of comics. He hates superhero comics, but he loves sci-fi/fantasy, crime-noir, and horror comics. Is he my ideal choice? No. But he ain't bad at all either.

My primary choices are:

- Gerard Butler

- Mark Strong

- Ray Stevenson

- Kevin Durand(although his buck-toothed look may bother some)