Main Menu

New monthly Dredd title announced for North America

Started by Emperor, 16 March, 2012, 08:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

QuoteGive it to Al Ewing & Mick Carroll.

Good idea, Grennie too, the experience of the DC Dredds may help!

Mike Carroll

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 17 March, 2012, 01:01:44 AM
Give it to Al Ewing & Mike Carroll.

Agreed!
(also, fixed that typo for you!)

-- Mike

TordelBack

JOE SOAP

Pete Wells

Really excited about this! With it being IDW, think off all the different covers for my blog!  :D

SmallBlueThing

This is, obviously, good news. And with it being IDW we can all get excited about INFESTATION 4- where Dredd, Captain Kirk, the Ghostbusters, GI Joe and the Autobots all team up to fight zombies led by Judge Death. Arsom!

SBT

Large48

[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

TordelBack

Tony Lee would seem to be the obvious choice for writer, given his Dreddworld and 2000AD history and his IDW track record. 

Note I didn't say 'best' or 'my' choice (and I like a lot of Tony's stuff).  For selfish reasons I'd hate to see Mike C or Al heading off to what-I-presume-is a movie-world version when they're so damned good at 'regular' Dredd.  BTW, when do we get any official details on this, Molch-R?

Incidentally, I had a disturbingly vivid dream last night where I was driving past Dublin's Connelly Station and saw Al Ewing (wearing a purple velvet suit) beating the crap out of what looked like a furious PJ Holden - he was bending him backwards like spaghetti and bashing his head off the pavement at the foot of the escalator that leads from the station to street level.  I stopped the car and rushed over to intervene only to find that Al was actually fighting off the first of a horde of zombies that came milling down the escalator to the street... and then I woke up. 

Too much homemade wine can be hard on the subconscious.

sauchieboy

Anything that means increased exposure for the character and revenue for the creators is great news. 

Assuming IDW's title will feature some original material, should they use the film version of the uniform? The argument for adapting the uniform for film (some things work in print but not on film) cuts both ways. You only have to look at Lawman of the Future to see how that awful Stallone uniform looked even more awful when rendered in ink.

I think the new film's design works well and would need only a little tweaking to transfer to the page, and if the intention is to piggyback on the increased awareness from the new film, then some contiguity between the two ventures seems sensible.

Steve Green

I've heard there might be some reprints of Ezquerra/Bolland Dredds - it might be a bit weird to have a character in two different costumes.

It also depends if there's any rights usage for the film design - wasn't the Stallone version of the costume someone elses copyright? I guess there could be something between the two?

If the film doesn't do well, it makes appropriating the look of it a bit redundant though.

Danbo

Hope its better than that awful  DC effort I remember from the US round abouts when the last film came out.Just didn't feel at all like Dredd.

The old Eagle reprints were cool though,thats how I got in to Dredd.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 March, 2012, 10:22:17 AM
Incidentally, I had a disturbingly vivid dream last night where I was driving past Dublin's Connelly Station and saw Al Ewing (wearing a purple velvet suit) beating the crap out of what looked like a furious PJ Holden - he was bending him backwards like spaghetti and bashing his head off the pavement at the foot of the escalator that leads from the station to street level.  I stopped the car and rushed over to intervene only to find that Al was actually fighting off the first of a horde of zombies that came milling down the escalator to the street

Well it is Patrick's weekend.

Robo-K33F

The new IDW Dredd comic will have nothing to do with the movie.

JOE SOAP