Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

I ended a friendship over 'mansplaining'.

TordelBack

Quote from: pictsy on 13 January, 2014, 12:53:33 PM
I ended a friendship over 'mansplaining'.

I don't doubt it, the practice is endemic, even if the portmanteau is ugly.  I'm a frequent offender myself, but while I feel it's probably more a general part of my being a relentless bore than anything targeted, I am working on it.

Hawkmumbler

I've never heard of it. Looking at the definition I don't think I have much need for it.

pictsy

To be clear, it was the portmanteau (that is a fantastic word) that started the argument that prompted me into parting ways with her.  Although, perhaps ironically, she was 'mansplaining' at me considerably at the end of the argument.

I don't like the phrase 'man flu' either.

Also, good for you, Hawkmonger :D

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Manflu is bollocks*, it's a common cold and it is easily killed with hot whiskey.

*That might be a poor choice of words.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

I know we've discussed this here before*, but the misappropriation of manflu is driving me crazy.  The other day my wife's boss phoned to say he wouldn't be in 'cos he had manflu.  What the wife (and I) heard was: "I have a mild cold and/or hangover but am pretending it's a serious illness because I'm male".  Now I know that's not what he meant, he meant he had a bad cold, but feck's sake what a stupid use of language.

*Although probably not in the Boxset thread...  :-\

Theblazeuk

pictsy

I'm on the last episode of series 5 of ST:TNG.  This series has been slightly more clunky than the the previous two stellar series', with a few more episodes to groan at.  Nevertheless, there are still a good number of excellent episodes to make up for it.

Also half way through Trigun and keen to carry on watching it now I have my internet connection back.  The slow development of the show is really interesting and there is a well devised mystery to it that compels me to keep on watching.  The animation is well done and very apt for the tone.

Greg M.

Quote from: pictsy on 13 January, 2014, 04:39:47 PM
I'm on the last episode of series 5 of ST:TNG.  This series has been slightly more clunky than the the previous two stellar series', with a few more episodes to groan at.  Nevertheless, there are still a good number of excellent episodes to make up for it.

Probably my favourite season of the lot - hard to argue with 'The Inner Light', 'Darmok', 'Silicon Avatar' or 'I, Borg'. It even has that rarest of things - a good Wesley Crusher episode in the form of 'The First Duty'.

Tiplodocus

Inner Light and Darmok are fantastic stuff. Picard (and ergo TNG) at his best.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

pictsy

I certainly agree.  There is also Imaginary Friend, Hero Worship, Cost of Living and even Ethics get's a groan as Crusher rides her high horse once again.  Looking ahead there are a few more groan inducing episodes to come in the next two series'.  Still, looking ahead I am reminded of what great episodes there are to come that I have never quite tired of watching.

Greg M.

'Ethics' has that great Riker moment though, where he suggests Alexander is the one Worf should be asking to help him with his suicide. And I quite like 'Hero Worship', simply because the kid does an excellent Data. But yes, 'Cost of Living' is one of the worst episodes ever - it's Season 1 bad.

Professor Bear

Is "Ethics" the one where they take Worf's spine out because he's Professor X now, stick it in a fish tank, then wave christmas lights at it until everything is better?  That was the first episode of TNG I ever gave my full undivided attention (rather than reading or doing homework while it was on) and it did my head in.

Also for my sins I have been watching season 1 Voyager lately - not as bad as I remember - in fact a lot better than some TNG - but its strengths were sadly sidelined later.  Picardo is very good, though - his early version of the Doctor cleverly subverts expectations of a Trek show by being little more than what everyone says he is, particularly when he tries to explain to Kes(/the audience) that he's incapable of picking a name for himself because he's just a fucking machine.

TordelBack

Unless I'm mistaken it's the also one where Worf turns out to have a hitherto unmentioned secondary backup brain.  Presumably in dangerous situations his primary brain separates and heads off on its own.

pictsy

Quote from: Professor Bear on 13 January, 2014, 10:13:40 PM
Also for my sins I have been watching season 1 Voyager lately - not as bad as I remember...

I thought the same when I rewatched all of Voyager last year.  It still has my least favourite cast of characters (of the Trek I enjoy watching), but early Doctor was a definite highlight.  I think his development was better than Data as he wasn't fawning over "being human" and was quite happy to develop his identity as a hologram.  Nevertheless, we still have to put up with Tom Paris, Harry Kim, Nelix and that awful Irish Theme Pub holodeck programme.