Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 June, 2014, 02:55:41 PM
That's an automatic fail on the Voight-Kampff.  Stay away from my tortoise.

He's not helping, Tordel. Why isn't he helping...?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

I, Cosh

I've watched it twice now. Quite extraordinary, and TB nails it there.

It starts out making you think it's just a gimmicky joke episode then takes a whole load of important plot strands and cuts the Gordian Knot of finding time to let them all play out without skimping on the impact of any of them in a fun, inventive way which is both totally unexpected and completely in keeping with the spirit of the show in general and this episode.

Plus the songs are funny: "I can bring whole cities to ruin/
And still have time to get a soft shoe in..."

I texted a pal about my discovery and he responded: "There's moments in it when I completely forget that I'm supposed to actively loathe adult orientated rock at all times. Also, Tara's quite the chanter." I had to agree.

Where does Giles solo gig in Restless sit on the foreshadowing wallchart?
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 June, 2014, 04:09:14 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 22 June, 2014, 02:55:41 PM
That's an automatic fail on the Voight-Kampff.  Stay away from my tortoise.
He's not helping, Tordel. Why isn't he helping...?
Arf. As a child I once had a tortoise called Arnold who ran away.
We never really die.

GrinningChimera

Just finished the first season of Hannibal. Gripping stuff. Waiting for the next season to come to blu-ray is going to be a killer.

Highly recommended to any budding serial killers out there

Proudhuff

Series three of Falling Skies out now and second House of Cards... on DVD.

Have just finished the first series of The Following, tempted to follow up the second.
DDT did a job on me

Professor Bear

True Blood, season 5.  There's too much overt fantasy stuff and the strongest material concerns human characters and dramas, the fairy nonsense doing nothing but padding out the running time with stuff 1990s Power Rangers would think twice about, but if you don't mind that, it's decent bit of camp fluff - for all its gore, bumming and swearing - even if some characters and plotlines strain one's capacity to sit in front of the tv and not set fire to it.

Mardroid

From Dusk 'Til Dawn
The series, that is, not the film.

I recently started the trial run of Netflix. I went on there looking for Almost Human (it's on Amazon Prime but missing episodes 2 and 3 for some reason) and came across this instead.

Interesting. [spoiler]Particularly how close to the storyline of the film it is. Almost as if the film were a Reader's Digest version of the series story. I'm some ways this makes it feel rather padded, but I wonder if I'd get that impression if I'd never seen the film?

Also interesting that they basically went with the snake person idea which is Salma Hayek morphed into in the film as the main form for the vamps. (All the other vampires in the film are of the more traditional variety.)
It took 4 or 5 episodes to reach the Titty Twister club. But boy is that scene grim when they do.

[/spoiler]

SmallBlueThing

From Dusk Til Dawn was a weekly must-see in the Small Blue House. Very much looking forward to series two.

SBT

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 May, 2014, 02:40:20 PM
It's Buffy 5 round my manor. While there were certainly episodes of earlier series which I hadn't seen, this is getting into territory I know very little about. While it retains the same sense of fun and works hard to address the characters' changing situations, I've always thought the Buffy and Spike romance was a really stupid development and far too much time is spent building that up.
As it turned out, I'd seen far more of the fifth season then I remembered but there were some big gaps. In fairness, the way the Buffy Spike relationship plays out in the second half of the series is a bit better and becomes genuinely interesting at the start of the next series. On the one hand I still find all Spike's doe-eyed mooning hard to take and can't shake the feeling that it's playing to over-earnest writers of slash fiction (as opposed to over-earnest, po-faced internet commenters.) On the other, how on Earth could I have forgotten the existence of the Buffybot?

Overall, the quality remains high with some of my favourite crass laughs - Anya's plans for the two Xanders, Buffybot's Terminator style HUD - and probably the most affecting moments. I remember when I originally saw The Body, it was halfway through before I realised that part of what was making it so unsettling was the lack of incidental music or, in some cases, sound.

It's an interesting ending too, for the tiny little shift in Giles as much as the main event. One where we obviously know it isn't final and are intrigued to find out how it will be resolved but also for how the creators try to contextualise it. I'm not usually one to be interested in commentaries or behind the scenes gubbins but Whedon's observations about this being originally conceived as a potential capstone for the whole series and then repurposed in this way are pretty interesting.

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 June, 2014, 08:34:03 AM
Onto the last few episodes of Angel Season 1 here, as a side-project of the Buffy rewatch, and despite never having thought that highly of the spin-off show, it has really grown on me...I'm most impressed by the way the show has changed over 20-odd episodes, surviving the unfortunate loss of Doyle, reining back the use of Detective Kate, and establishing its own tone.  It certainly didn't hit the ground running the way Buffy did, but its tribulations have been interesting and the results more so.
Like the Megazine before it, I refused to have any truck with Angel when it was initially released then ended up getting and watching the whole lot a few years ago and really enjoying the majority of it. You're right about the way it changes over the course of the first series, ending up in a completely different place, with a completely different supporting cast to what you initially expect. The first two series are great, the Connor thing is something a dreary retread of Dawn, but it finds its feet again in the latter days.

TL;DR Buffy is great. Cosh takes it too seriously.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Finally getting round to watching the last series of Breaking Bad. I really didn't think it could get any more ridiculous after the end of the fourth but Jesus Christ! It keeps me watching, but I just can't seem to balance the dramatic side with the ludicrous A Team [spoiler]giant magnets and train robbery[/spoiler] stuff.
We never really die.

Devons Daddy

just began on RAY DONOVAN
damn season 1 is good,
with its slightly hidden yet blatantly obvious characters of certain hollywood actors,

a decent ride of total nonsense and reality tv style actoin, of a group of disturbed family member mixed up in the holllywood scene,
good stuff.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Devons Daddy

True Detective

just saw this via the wonderful world of ITUNES
damn,that was incredible entertainment.

worthy of a fist full of groats. story,acting,cinematography,editing, it had me in the first 6 minutes then the need to sleep over the weekend ebbed away.

that has got be sweeping the board at the awards this year.
I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

Proteus4

Just finished seasons one and two of House of Cards (US) and i loved it.  Season 1 was a bit ropey in places and the politics felt very dumbed down, but the acting and plot were great.  I remember the first series of the british one all those many moons ago and the - at that time - very shocking ending.  It was a clever trick to [spoiler]hold that over for the end of the first episode of season 2[/spoiler] as it completely grabbed you and pulled you into the show again.

Has anyone else been watching falling skies?  I havent started season 4 yet, and while i think it's only a fair to middling show, im quite looking forward to it.
Dave:)
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

I, Cosh

Notes from last week.
Faced with the choice of the last series of Breaking Bad or delving straight into the sixth of Buffy, it was a no-brainer: Sunnydale for the win. This is the one series I knew almost nothing about, having only ever seen two or three episodes before (did it move to Sky or something?) and the first thing that struck me was how bleak a lot of it is. Having gone about as far as they could with the escalation of bigger bads, the decision to flip that round - making the apparent nemesises so mundane - and letting the main focus be on coping with life plays a big part in that. Having the villains be human and without so much as a grandiose scheme between them, just the most venal of motives, makes some of what happens later hit harder: Warren killing his ex is more shocking than any vampire attack.

The first third of the series, with Buffy trying to come to terms with what's happened, is great. The dynamic between her and Spike which I was complaining about before really does make sense here. I still found the whole bringing the house down scene laughable rather than comic, butyou can't have everything. The quality peaks with the previously fawned upon Once More with Feeling and its immediate aftermath. Conversely ,the episodes which follow, centring on Willow's addiction to magic, are some of the ropiest they've ever done. It's important for the ongoing storyline and it's one subject I can't remember them ever having touched on before (hmmm: Riley's inverted shooting gallery, maybe) but it's really not done very well.

Things improve again coming into the home straight, just in time for the wheels to fall off everything in our happy troupe's lives. Love saves the day but a different flavour. I'm looking forward to watching the last series so much that I'm even thinking about buying some of the comics too.

The addition of Dawn to the cast is an interesting way of revisiting some of the teen angst of the early days from a quite different perspective.
We never really die.

Devons Daddy

House of cards, YES!!
He does it justice does Kevin.....

The original was amongst the British clAssics.
The yank version is a perfect rendition of both the important scenes and a modern twist updated
I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

Goaty

So enjoying the 100 TV series on E4.

It's does got latest Battlestar Galactica vibe about it... (I know some actors from it on it!)