Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Sherlock Season 2.  Not sure I can last the remaining 3 episodes, TBH, but the missus is keen.  The Irene Adler episode was a simply appalling mess and not a little worrying in its attitudes; the Final Problem episode appeared to have an overwrought Doctor Who finale tacked on for an ending, right down to the music; the Baskervilles one was very enjoyable silliness, but the solution was painfully obvious almost from the start.  I like the programme when it's being funny, sometimes when it's explicitly playing with Holmes-fans' expectations, and not at all when it's being serious.  It's a bit of a shambles of a thing really, but it does have an odd charm. 

The Fall, on the other hand, is really rather good.  Not wanting to trespass on Thryllseekyr's turf, but not only is Gillian Anderson excellent, she's also spellbindingly lovely in this.  This one I'll see through.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 November, 2014, 12:31:10 AM
The Fall, on the other hand, is really rather good.  Not wanting to trespass on Thryllseekyr's turf, but not only is Gillian Anderson excellent, she's also spellbindingly lovely in this.

Agree completely *, and that's part of the clever thing the show is doing. You're certainly not the only one to think that, and it's going to [spoiler]lead you to some uncomfortable places before the show is done[/spoiler]. I've just started The Missing, which looks like it will fill the gap until the second series of The Fall nicely, even if it is a bit more formulaic.

* including the bit about Sherlock

HdE

Finally chewed thrugh the last few episodes of Dollhouse last night.

I was primed and ready to hate this show with a vengeance. I mean, my hate is certainly legitimised by the sheer number of episodes in season one which are PROPERLY RUBBISH. Given that I have a deep, abiding dislike of Eliza Dushku as an actress as well, its safe to say that I was sold this show on the strength of its premise.

So, imagine my suprise when pretty much everything in season two coalesced into a genuinely smart, intelligently played bit of sci-fi. The characters are what kept me interested enough to suffer through the duff stuff, and I was pleased to see the show came to a definite ending in spite of cancellation. And not just a 'quick, we're cancelled, wrap everything up and see if we can spin a few comics or nevels out of the loose ends' type of ending - a really satisfying, comprehensive one. The sort of ending that makes me think I need to watch the show again sometime.

I will admit, I felt genuinely terrible for [spoiler]poor ol' Topher[/spoiler] in the end. He didn't get the resolution I wanted for him...  :'(
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Professor Bear

Considering it's just Joe 90 with hookers, Dollhouse didn't really have to do much to be better than its premise would lead you to expect, though it still took 2 seasons to get there.

Fungus

It's a common complaint - and I'm nothing if not common - but the *nothing* ending of The Fall left a bad taste in the mouth. I can't even remember how it ended in series 1, just that it built nicely, then... just stopped. You can argue that expectations are being cleverly subverted, but it felt very unsatisfying.

Theblazeuk

Dollhouse was notoriously interfered with by the suits throughout season one. Apparently they just wanted the wacky-one-off resets to continue rather than any kind of plot.

HdE

Yay for the TV execs.

I would have thought that it should be clear to anyone with half a bran cell who actually sat down to watch the early episodes what a TERRIBLE idea for a TV show that would be. That episode with the baacking singers? Risible.

I think what's tragic about the way the show was handled was that, probably about a third of the way into season 2, important story stuff kicks in, everything moves up a few gears, and you can't help but sit back and think 'They should have got to this so much quicker!'

Its amazing what the developments past the halfway mark do to punt everything into touch. The characters become more interesting, the show's premise is captialised upon in rich fashion... it really starts to lean on its own internally developed mythos.

And then it ends. Just like that. 

Way to go, Fox.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Proudhuff

House of Cards II, the Memsabib haranged long and hard for this and its worth it, OD'ing on four episodes a night: Kevin and Robin are a the deadly duo, with Kevin's dark asides and quick glances to camera more telling that any amount of grandstanding or speachifying. Will be sad to see this end, but I can guess where he's aiming.
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

Well. I did it. I started watching Game of Thrones. Two episodes in and i'm hookd.

radiator

Assuming you haven't already read the books, Game of Thrones is a bit like Breaking Bad - you've got NO idea what you're getting into, and just how crazy its going to get as it goes on!

radiator

Just finished off season 3 of HBO's Girls. I have a bit of a love/hate thing with this show. On the one hand there's a precociousness about writer/star Lena Dunham than can be a bit hard to take (both on and off-screen - I admire her while also finding her a bit annoying), the show can feel formless and a little self-indulgent, and there's a commitment to making the characters authentically flawed that perpetually teeters on the brink of making them completely irredeemable arseholes..... but overall I still kinda like it.

Season 3 was imo a huge improvement over the rather bleak season 2 (which I could take or leave), and it gets bonus points from me for guest-starring the mighty Richard E Grant. Also, Adam Driver is the real deal - it's no wonder he's destined for star(wars)dom.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: radiator on 10 November, 2014, 10:40:56 PM
Assuming you haven't already read the books, Game of Thrones is a bit like Breaking Bad - you've got NO idea what you're getting into, and just how crazy its going to get as it goes on!
Watched episodes 3 through 5 last night. Crawled to bed at 2 in the morning a little light headed (I blame the Lancaster Bomber) but god this is some great television. It's been a long time since I saw a series that can make three hours fly by without me noticing.

One slight question though, and thats HOW CAN TYRION LANNISTER BE SO DAMN GOOD? Seriously, hats off to Martin and Dinkledge. Between them they've made quite possibly the most likeable and original character in literature right now. Every wcene he's in Dinkledge own's the role. Particularly loved how he coped with being kidnaped by Lady Stark. Sheer indifference.

radiator

Coincidentally, I'm rewatching the entire series from the beginning right now, currently on s01e07.

It's simply astounding how much careful foreshadowing there is early on that only really becomes obvious on a rewatch, with the knowledge of later events, and the world-building is incredibly effective and economical. Right from the off they're laying the groundwork for minor characters - and even entire factions and locations - that only become significant later on in the story. Never twigged that things like [spoiler]Mance Rayder[/spoiler], [spoiler]the Greyjoy Rebellion[/spoiler] and [spoiler]Dorne[/spoiler] are regularly referenced way back in season 1!

QuoteOne slight question though, and thats HOW CAN TYRION LANNISTER BE SO DAMN GOOD?

An instant all-time classic TV character, and the undisputed star of the show. However, while you're being introduced to many excellent characters early on, you're going to be meeting a lot more of them as the show goes on, any one of whom could be the lead in a lesser series. For example, one of the show's most charismatic figures was only introduced in season 4!

My personal favourite is still Syrio Forell. How can such a minor character be so memorable?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: radiator on 12 November, 2014, 07:09:13 PM
Right from the off they're laying the groundwork for minor characters - and even entire factions and locations - that only become significant later on in the story. Never twigged that things like [spoiler]Mance Rayder[/spoiler], [spoiler]the Greyjoy Rebellion[/spoiler] and [spoiler]Dorne[/spoiler] are regularly referenced way back in season 1!

Martin does this really well in the books too, by the time you reach the last chapter of the first book, you're aware of a great many, seemingly inconsequential people, places and things. As the pages unfold you begin to realise these aren't just throwaways to make the world seem bigger, they've been playing the Game all along and are a big part of a MASSIVE world. A massive world described in overly tedious detail.
You may quote me on that.

radiator

QuoteAs the pages unfold you begin to realise these aren't just throwaways to make the world seem bigger, they've been playing the Game all along and are a big part of a MASSIVE world.

Precisely. Apparently Martin professes to 'write from his head' - ie just write and see where the characters take the story, not making extensive notes etc, but I find it hard to believe that all of the story beats weren't painstakingly laid out years in advance - plot-wise it's like a swiss watch.

Martin has this reputation for 'trolling' his readers which, having now seen every episode of the TV show and read most of the books - I think is unfounded. He's not some hack writer throwing nasty twists and unexpected deaths ([spoiler]of which there aren't nearly as many as some people make out[/spoiler]) in for the sake of it. Though admittedly some of the nastier twists really sting at the time, they always make complete sense within the narrative, and in hindsight were inevitable. I never feel 'tricked' - I just kick myself for not seeing it coming.

Without an encyclopaedic knowledge of the books, I don't know how much foreshadowing is verbatim, but there are definitely things invented for the TV show that help to speed things along - like giving Theon an arc in season 1.