Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: radiator on 15 April, 2015, 11:24:22 PM
Oh man, you have no idea what's in store in seasons 3 and 4...

Heh... I was thinking the same thing...

Dandontdare

Must get back into GoT - I loved season 1, but drifted off a few episodes into season 2 as there didn't seem to be much happening and I lost track of the huge cast. Reckon I'll restart season 2 and plough through as I understand it picks up after a slowish start.

Daveycandlish

Holy boxset!

Decided to treat myself to the collected series of 1960s Batman starring Adam West and Burt Ward

As cheesy and as brilliant as I remember it  :D
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Batman's Superior Cousin

My current TV Programmes that I watch

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Better Call Saul
Daredevil
Doctor Who
Falling Skies (Season 5)
Game of Thrones
House of Cards
Star Wars Rebels
The Jinx: The Life & Deaths of Robert Durst
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

JudgeOiNK!

This is my current fix.  Just over 70 hours, currently about halfway through the third season (of four) and you know what?  I'm loving every minute of it!

Blog - http://the-oink-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Twitter - @PhilEdBoyce

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: JudgeOiNK! on 21 April, 2015, 10:46:48 PM
This is my current fix.  Just over 70 hours, currently about halfway through the third season (of four) and you know what?  I'm loving every minute of it!

Beautiful....should be in the shape of a Tranzam (Is that the correct spelling for that old 80's Sports car?)

Right now, I have been watching this show I that's been around since late 2011. A teen soap called.....

Interesting.... because it has a good looking cast line up (just check out three of the female leads....

One of them looks like Xena, the other Rodsie Cotton the one with pink hair Judge Hershey.

And it's set in Brisbane, (A place I go to very often, being closest city to Ipswich!) and some times the Valley (Fortitude Valley!) and the very first episode (Not the actual first episode of the series, by my own guess!) I saw nearly two hours earlier was set at Gold Coast (By the looks!)

Bloody rich folk.....

It also has Ben Oxenbould who was  the character lead in Fatty-Finn

A well known Aussie comic book icon.

Professor Bear

Quote from: JudgeOiNK! on 21 April, 2015, 10:46:48 PM

The recent reboot series is a must-watch once you're done.*  I often couldn't believe some of the criticisms aimed at it, like people were expecting the new BSG from a show about a talking car driven by a fashion model who investigated surfing crimes, and who on one occasion fights an evil double of the talking car that is so evil it's a darker shade of black than the good car, and is also a transformer with gatling guns for hands and the voice of Optimus Prime [spoiler]and they STILL beat it by using Turbo Boost.
[/spoiler]
As long as you know what you're getting into, it's a hoot.

* Ignore Knight Rider 2000 and Team Knight Rider, they're bloody awful even by Knight Rider standards.  TKR especially manages to be awful even without having David Hasselhoff in it, that's how bad it is.

JudgeOiNK!

The pilot movie for the sequel series in 2008 I really enjoyed, it set it all up really well and had loads of hidden references (Mike puts on a leather jacket on top of his red shirt just as he meets KITT for the first time, which is what The Hoff wore in his pilot etc), but for the series NBC gave it to Executive Producer Gary Scott Thompson, creator of the first Fast & the Furious, and you could tell.  I really didn't like it.

Loads of pointless extra characters (it's meant to be "one man can make a difference") and KITT was now a Transformer.  There were glimpses of hope towards the end after the awful KARR episode but by then it was too late.  Those final few they had the right dynamic between Michael and KITT but it'd already been cancelled I think.

Such a shame as it was so full of potential in the movie!  And Val Kilmer had great delivery with KITT's new dry sense of humour.

Yeah I completely agree about KR2000 and TKR.  KR2000 was okay in places but felt like fan-fiction rather than a sequel, and TKR had one good episode with Duke and The Beast out on their own which felt like the original series, but other than that it was terrible.

I actually liked Knightrider 2010.  You ever seen it?

Twitter - @PhilEdBoyce

Professor Bear

Sadly no, but a Google reveals it is Knight Rider in a post-apocalyptic setting (made in 1994, you say?), so yeah, I'll be having some of that.*

I know what you mean about the show shifting to a different dynamic after the KARR stuff cleared the decks of some of the extraneous characters**, but I liked the larger cast episodes, because they underlined that it was a deliberately silly show.  Try watching one of the earlier episodes, then watching an episode of the spectacularly awful CSI: Cyber - which has a near-identical cast of characters - and you'll see what I mean.

* It also sounds a bit like Highwayman.
** like Sydney Poitier(no, not that one)'s womanising surfing FBI agent who is introduced in quite the sleazy fashion and then promptly disappears behind a desk for ten episodes before being written out.

JudgeOiNK!

The show runner came out and said audiences are more sophisticated and need a larger cast and won't settle for one man in a car, which is why he changed so much of the already-successful pilot.  Uh, yes they would, and that's what they wanted - one man and his car.  Such a shame as I think Justin Bruening was great as a new Michael Knight.

Before you watch KR 2010 just go in knowing it's NOT Michael and KITT and you should have a blast.  It's a completely new riff on the whole idea.

Twitter - @PhilEdBoyce

Professor Bear

To be entirely fair, TV hasn't really done shows carried on the back of a single actor for quite some time.  Apart from maybe Scott Caan in Hawaii Five-0.

JudgeOiNK!

Now I do love H50 but I feel there's a good ensemble there.  Especially love the 'car'guments as they're called by the writers between Steve and Danno!  Did prefer it when it was the four main characters before all these additional ones they've added though, as much as I do love Grover in it.

The thing with KR was always that KITT felt like an actual character and so he was never on his own, story-wise if not actor-wise, but yeah the only other show I can think of in recent times that's gone season-to-season with basically the one main character (and support) would probably be 24.  But hey that worked!

Twitter - @PhilEdBoyce

Professor Bear

But McGarritt's girlfriend was such a great addition to the H50 cast!

Fair point about 24, but I think it only accidentally became all about Bauer when they'd eventually genocided the entire backing cast.

Goaty

Just finish the final episode of The 100 Season 2 on E4 last Tuesday, that was great season as glad I still watch it from Season 1; [spoiler]so many deaths! [/spoiler] With tribes of Sky People, Grounders and Mount People! Brilliant!

Can't wait for Season 3 next year! You could watch Season 1 on Netflix.

Mabs

Gomorrah Season 1: Absolutely bloody fantastic! The story is set in Naples, and concerns the notorious Comorro or mafia. We have a young foot soldier, Ciro has a dreams of becoming a boss, all the while playing a dangerous game. Genny the son of the mafia boss who seems afraid to follow in his fathers footsteps (his transformation is amazing). But the real tragedy is seeing how their criminal activities affects the whole community, from the poor to the very rich. There are moments of genuine shock, and twists. For example, the last episode with its closing scenes had me scraping my jaws off the ground. It's one of the best series finalé ever. If you're a fan of such shows as Breaking Bad, Sopranos et al, do not miss this series.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie