Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

Quote from: Modern Panther on 09 February, 2016, 05:35:05 PM
After watching the first episode of Hannibal, I was a bit worried that it would turn into a crime-of-the-week drama, with odd couple investigators, one of whom happens to enjoy eating folk.  But it turned out to be this intelligent, well written show.  Madds Mikkelsen is a far more sophisticated Lector than any of the actors before him.

Then the last season went batshit crazy and I found myself watching close ups of snails whilst listening to opera and worrying about the nature of reality.  Still, it was a fantastic bit of television whilst it lasted.

I'd drank the Kool Aid by that point. Haha! I loved season three for the same reasons I loved Mad Max: Fury Road. The visuals were as much a part of the storytelling as any part of the written script and for that reason, I found myself engrossed in what was happening, even if, yeah, much of it was pretty out there. It all pulled itself back together nicely for the Red Dragon arc, I thought.

In truth, I'd probably watch Mikkelsen read the phone book. His take on Lecter was all cold reptilian menace. It's what he's not showing you in his performance that's most chilling.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Proudhuff

getting to the end of Penny Dreadful this week highly entertaining, some nice twists and the visuals are sensual, the odd clanger (not that kind) but overall great fun.
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 10 February, 2016, 10:29:34 AM
getting to the end of Penny Dreadful this week highly entertaining, some nice twists and the visuals are sensual, the odd clanger (not that kind) but overall great fun.

Bailed on Season 2 after about four episodes. After some interminable episode about prancing around on the moors, I think.

On the other hand, we're now catching up on Season 2 of Fargo — five episodes in, and it's great.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Satanist

I loved the 3rd season of Hannibal. Arty Farty yes but I thought there must be room on TV for at least one over the top self indulgent show, then it got cancelled. And yes Mads is simply incredible in this.

Fargos another odd show in that I didn't want to watch it as how could it live up to the Coens original. Loved the first season then worried about the second but thought that was great as well. So many great characters.

Think I'm gonna blast a few eps of Flash this weekend then see if I can figure out how PH really felt about it.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Mardroid

Death Note on Netflix

I've seen part of this before, but I think it was in movie form. A lot is familiar, though, so I have it in mind they must have combined episodes and made 2 films out of them but my memory is hazy. I do remember liking it to start with back then, then my mind drifting and missing a bit, which means I probably fell asleep. Maybe I was overtired.

I decided to give it another go in this form on Netflix, and I'm really enjoying it! A very interesting dark premise, and very cleverly written.

amines2058

Quote from: Satanist on 10 February, 2016, 11:12:30 AM
I loved the 3rd season of Hannibal. Arty Farty yes but I thought there must be room on TV for at least one over the top self indulgent show, then it got cancelled. And yes Mads is simply incredible in this.

Fargos another odd show in that I didn't want to watch it as how could it live up to the Coens original. Loved the first season then worried about the second but thought that was great as well. So many great characters.

Think I'm gonna blast a few eps of Flash this weekend then see if I can figure out how PH really felt about it.

This is my current addiction, have blitzed series 1 and 10 episodes of series 2 in the past 3 weeks and am loving this. Realise now that I will need to do the same with The Arrow due to the number of crossovers that occur. Of course I will then also need to watch Legends of Tomorrow for the very same reason!! Lucky me!!

Tiplodocus

Still manfully ploughing through HOUSE but it's getting harder going despite some good changes in the set-up.

I think the problem is that Hugh Laurie is so good at being a complete ass-hat that it really makes it tough to watch in concentrated doses.  He seems to be deliberately antagonistic to every one around him (rather than just being unknowingly brusque). 

It's a while (35 years!) since I've read any of the source material but was Holmes ever deliberately such a dick to those around him?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

Still on Venture Bros. And gaining ground, but my god the comedy on this series is ON POINT!

Sasquatch IS something I haven't seen before!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ThryllSeekyr

I know I shouldn't have, given my current commitments to funnelling my finances towards house hold stuff. I brought the extended editions of the The Hobbit Trilogy on Blue-Rae & I'll guess, I'll watch them some time within the next week.

Hawkmumbler

Only on Venture Bros. can you have psuedo-Superman flying around saving one minute and a closet peadophile the next. Utterly brilliant, biting satire.

richerthanyou

Doctor Who - The First (rebooted) Series

Since I never watched it on the TV and always told myself I would catch up with it on bluray, after seeing the first series on sale on bluray I kind of had to buy it :D

Loving it so far. Just like the Doctor Who I remember as a child (re-runs mind you, I'm not that old)

(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Theblazeuk

Plowing through Community. Didn't like it at first but now it's really grown on me. The D&D episode in season 2 was probably the swing point into "Ok I love this now".

Dandontdare

had the flat to myself over bank holiday so I've been binge-watching Daredevil on netflix - saw 2nd half of season 1 and first 3 eps of season 2 (with a short break to watch Capt America: Winter Soldier).

I think the thing that DD has in common with Jessica Jones which made these first seasons work so well is top-notch villains - both David Tennant as Kilgrave and Vincent D'Onofrio as the Kingpinn were oputstanding.

I'm hoping a proper villain emerges in season 2 as so far it's just Punisher and some generic gangs.

Mardroid

That guy who does Punnisher is pretty good though, isn't he?

I have mixed feelings about Elektra though. Looks the part, but something felt a bit off. Still, she's growing on me.

Plodding my way through Series 2 at the moment at a slower rate than I did the previous. ( I think I must have seen most of Series 1 during a break or over the weekend, so I'm seeing this piecemeal (2 or 3 episodes a time) in the evening after work.)

I'm enjoying it though.

shaolin_monkey

Season two of Daredevil was just fantastic. Some of the best TV I've ever seen. I normally dislike Marvel stuff too, so I was really surprised at how good it was.

Jessica Jones was eminently watchable too, and yeah, it was great seeing Tennant get his teeth into that role. Again, so much better than those interminable films (Deadpool being an exception - thoroughly enjoyed that).

I've been ploughing my way through The Man in the High Castle recently. I read the book many moons ago, so can only barely remember it. They've padded the hell out of it from what I recall of the book, but it's still enjoyable, in a very grim, dark way.