Main Menu

Prog 2187: Worlds of wonder

Started by The Monarch, 22 June, 2020, 12:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

I wanna personally kill my postman for treating my prog like one of those leaflets chipshops post through doors. my poor prog was mangled. Cover is the Mark Harrison The out one seen in last weeks meg. anyway on with the show

Dredd: Dredd assembles his cannon fo...err fellow judges for his mission to kill the four horsemen. We meet famine....thats a pretty awesome look for famine...also hell of a cliffhanger

Full tilt boogie: Genuinly love this series

The out: Err....umm i dunno what to say about this one just yet.

The order rules. I absolutely adore it and all its insanity.

Diaboliks continues to be good

I am sorry this is so short why i may not be sure about the out just yet everything else is fantastic this prog

Tomwe

Woolly

Oy! That's Eamon's job!  ;)

Had to cancel the sub due to being skint, so this is probably my last prog for a while....  :'(

Dredd - I'd be very much into this story if Ichabod wasn't in it. As it stands, I keep second guessing myself when reading it - is this to be a story within a story? Is the writer going to turn up in it? Is there going to be an angle to this that I won't understand because I'm not a writer?
Or is it really going to just be Dredd Vs The Apocalypse?
Eh, I'm not sold on this yet, but I am enjoying it..... so far...

The Diaboliks is Grennie at his best, no mere mortal could ask for anything more  :thumbsup:

Nothing else is floating my boat, which is my problem - not the prog's!
I'm pretty much just a Dredd fan at this stage.

Colin YNWA

I'm warming to this line-up.

Dredd once I'm past the start which I found jarring and we are immersed in the story I'm loving it as a piece of excellent horror wonderfully drawn.

Full Tilt Boogie I was warming to last time and this time that continues. Excellent stuff.

The Out has an very engaging start. Dropped into the other with Cyd Finlea aghast at the wonders we see as she does. This feels like a vehicle to make the most of Mark Harrison's art. It revels in the glory of the world that's been created, as if Halo Jones has found her 'Out'. Its fun, its frothy, and its left things open for us all to explore together.

I'm probably reading too much into things but that image at the end looks like an emoji to me. Probably nothing in it, but with so much open I wonder how Out we are? It'll be fun finding out I suspect.

The Order continues to be sublime as we get much of the cast back and I suspect we start to get to the core of this one starting up.

I mean the title says it all but The Diaboliks is all a bit diabolical. We get the smug, witty sunkissed diabolikals and the just plain grimmy nasty diabolikals but we get nothing to care or root for. This is kinda the point I suspect, but doesn't make for pleasent reading for me. Still I can admire the craft.

I'm starting the like the Prog much more than I did and I'm not missing Sinister Dexter too much, which is a good sign.

Richard

A good prog this week. The Out is intriguing and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. It's by Dan Abnett so I'm sure it will be fine.

End of Days reaches episode 4, and everyone in Brit-Cit is having a really tough time. It may well be the end of the world for them whatever happens. It looks like we'll meet the first of the four horsemen next week. Meanwhile, [spoiler]Judge Giant[/spoiler] actually might not survive this story. [spoiler]Rob Williams has been the only writer to use Giant in the last several years, and Wagner hasn't used him since the Aliens crossover in about 2003, so he could feasibly be killed off in this story.[/spoiler]

Full Tilt Boogie, as ever, has impressive art by Eduardo Ocana, whose work is like to see again when this finishes. It's a fairly fast-paced story too, as there is a plot twist I didn't se coming, at a juncture I thought we wouldn't get to until later.

The Diaboliks has action and humour. I hope [spoiler]the Ossophage becomes a permanent member of the cast.[/spoiler] (Google Translate says the bit at the end is Italian for "[spoiler]the congregation of the witches of the five sisters[/spoiler].")

I'll read The Order tomorrow.

Blue Cactus

Mark Harrison really has a unique style, doesn't he? Always interesting to have a non-action 2000ad cover and this one is pretty eyecatching.

Enjoying Dredd. It feels like a while since we had Joe and Anderson working together and I always enjoy seeing that, little moments like the hand on her shoulder at the top of page 5 that show us their relationship. The story is decidedly odd which I'm enjoying too!

Full Tilt Boogie is great, it looks great, the universe feels solid and convincing and it really feels like there are all kinds of strange cultures and worlds out there waiting for us to explore. Love that we have someone's gran as a main character too. Do we know her name, I can't remember?

Speaking of all kinds of strange cultures and worlds to explore, here's The Out. I love Cyn's feeling of tiredness and that idea of her moving further and further out through more and more breathtaking places to the point that 'you can only say 'wow' so many times'.  I have no idea what kind of story this will become, but the inclusion of Cyn's photos as a series of images running through the strip is cool, Harrison is at his wildest (I mean, that food vendor's face is insane!). Anyway, looking forward to seeing where this goes.

The Order is The Order, I think I'm still following it this week, Burns remains a unique and wonderful artist. Enjoying this series.

The Diaboliks - still loving Reardon, but I'm still not really on anyone's side. I like the ossophage though. Especially the scene in the car.

Shame that Sindex didn't get the big long run some of us were expecting, but the lineup feels very fresh (Dredd aside, The Order is the longest-running strip here, and it still feels like a relative newcomer to me! Unless you count Caballistics).

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Out of the interview Grey Area is not done and is only resting
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tomwe

Quote from: Woolly on 22 June, 2020, 05:29:53 PM
My bad. I honestly thought it was the 'job' of whoever started the thread, and wondered why it didn't always appear right away.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Tomwe on 23 June, 2020, 02:42:07 PM
My bad. I honestly thought it was the 'job' of whoever started the thread, and wondered why it didn't always appear right away.
Woolly is kidding. I sometimes post the cover images here but anyone can. First come is first served.

Woolly

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 23 June, 2020, 08:32:24 PM
Quote from: Tomwe on 23 June, 2020, 02:42:07 PM
Woolly is kidding. I sometimes post the cover images here but anyone can. First come is first served.

S'right  :)

norton canes

Another fantastic prog, with an excellent line-up of stories (written by four of the GGC's most prolific big-hitters alongside an equally talented newcomer) that has a really nice balance of styles. At one end of the spectrum there's the grim, apocalyptic End of Days, leavened only by shards of the darkest humour; while at the other, Full Tilt Boogie has blossomed into a wonderful, whimsical treat. As if to reflect the new plurality of styles, Dan Abnett's new tale is skewed to the playful end of the scale - a position balanced by Gordon Rennie's avowedly grisly approach to The Diaboliks. Finally Kek-W defies classification by positioning himself firmly at the fulcrum with the ineffable otherness of The Order.

Something for everyone and for me, thoroughly zarjaz.

TordelBack

Quote from: broodblik on 23 June, 2020, 02:02:47 PM
Interview with Dan Abnett & Mark Harrison on The Out: https://2000ad.com/news/interview-dan-abnett-mark-harrison-take-us-to-the-out/

Great interview, that - Mark gives one of the great artist  soundbites:

QuoteWell Dan's just this guy... you know? He wakes up, types a few words like "Epic", and  "Huge"  and "Impossible to contemplate" and "massive crowd scene"  and then falls asleep again.Then I wake up, read it, cry, drink spectacular amounts of caffeine and just draw the whole thing like a bloody hero almost to a deadline.

But the big takeaway for me is that Out is Creator Owned.  If that was trailed previously,  I completely missed it. Enjoyed first part, alien language ahoy!

Elsewhere,  Dredd is certainly different.  Taking bets on when angelbonce will end up top OK of Jonas' conveniently-sized soulless body, and whether Patrick and Wan will become Pestilence and War respectively, or just be done in by them ABC Warriors style. Dredd as Death seems a bit obvious.

Diaboliks is a bit by-the-numbers so far, but it's pleasantly light-hearted and Dom's art is a real marvel.

Full Tilt Boogie is ace, adding elements, moving along and looking lovely. Same review for The Order.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 23 June, 2020, 02:02:47 PM
Interview with Dan Abnett & Mark Harrison on The Out: https://2000ad.com/news/interview-dan-abnett-mark-harrison-take-us-to-the-out/

Great interview and as you say Broodblik its fantastic to hear we'll be getting more Grey Area.

broodblik

Thank you Tharg for keep giving us the Thrills !!!!

Dredd – or me the highlight of this episode is the wordplay between Anderson and both the Angel and Azrael.  The episode also ends with an interesting climax. So far, the whole series reminds me of City of the Damned, but I think that was Williams aim from the beginning.

Full Tilt Boogie – I am enjoying this series and it does have a manga feeling to it.  Great story great art more please.

The Out – There is not much of a story here yet, but the first chapter is more of an introduction to a strange new world. This feels remarkably familiar I have been there a stranger in stranger land without the cultural and even language references. I am ready for this strange new world. Great visuals especially that opening page.

The Order – As per usual this series is a fun ride but at this point it is a lot of talking going on. I like the quip about growing old.

Diaboliks – I like the way the boss-fight ended in not your typically fashion[spoiler] as a new team member is added[/spoiler]. So far so good to the newest entry in the Caballistics-verse.