Main Menu

Prog 2070 - Dead Space

Started by Richard, 24 February, 2018, 01:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

I've enjoyed this one. Dredd is still good. I still don't remember who Lamia is but I like her and wouldn't mind seeing her in more stories (assuming she survives this one).

Blackblood gets his comeuppance and reveals himself to be the snivelling little turd I'd long suspected him to be.

But the standout episode this week is Brass Sun. I'd gone off it a little, but this week it's excellent and it's redeemed itself. When it finishes I think I'll go back and re-read the whole series.

Savage is much like it was last week. I like this for Patrick Goddard's art, which is some of the best the prog has seen in recent years.

Bad Company is still okay. I enjoyed reading it, although looking over it again now as I write this I'm now a little concerned that it seems to [spoiler]undo the sad ending of last week's chapter.[/spoiler]

Tjm86

I'm with you on this.  Still feels a little like the prog is treading water but I think that is because we have been so spoiled in recent years.  Taylor's art on Dredd is absolutely first rate.  The subtle colour palette suits the story perfectly and it puts me in mind of the likes of Moebius at times.  Plus the odd nod towards the likes of Blade Runner.  It has the added bonus of servicing an interesting story and character.

Richard

I've just re-read Lamia's first appearance in progs 1640-1643. It's a good story, worth digging out again if you have it. (And there's a bonkers Droid Life too.)

Woolly

Magnetica

A fairly decent Prog this week.

Dave Taylor's art on Dredd is just great. I didn't really appreciate it before but it suits this story perfectly.

I might be in the minority but I enjoyed ABC Warriors. Somehow I can't see this [spoiler]being the end for Blackblood. He is just so much a part of the ABC Warriors strip.[/spoiler]

Brass Sun continues the surprises. Well it was for me anyway.

I'm going to miss Savage when this book ends next week.

I have been reasonably critical of  Bad Company on this run. On the basis of this episode I think I have been way too lenient. I didn't think it possible but I liked this even less.

The line up for the new jumping on Prog looks good - Pin and Jaegir are back.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Woolly on 24 February, 2018, 05:47:30 PM
Best. Damage Report. Ever.  :lol:

Wasn't it.

Inside you are pretty much as you were. Aside from a frustrating ABC Warriors - oh I've re-introduced this tired old band of anti ABCs and having done this used a magic barrier so next to nowt happens - making them even more pointless???!!!??? Still the Blackblood stuff was pretty good and lets see what Unca Patsy does with it.

Over in Savage he does a much better job, the manical look of Bill's face as he demands to go back is Patrick Goddard at his best too.

Dredd has simply glorious art and a good story. Bad Company continues to intrigue but as last week its Brass Sun that really steals the show. Quite tragic and quite brillant.

Woolly

Truly enjoyed this prog.

Dredd is on fine form already and, as many have said, Dave Taylor is always welcome.

ABC Warriors - I must admit, for me the Warriors are always at their best when squabbling and fighting each other, so I'm loving this particular series. That said, the Mills droid really needs to start compressing his books together into smaller, complete tales instead of dragging stuff out over decades. I appreciate he needs to think about his overall page rate, but still...
Also, I've learnt to fully embrace Clint Langley's digital art style. I'll admit it's been a long time coming, but I finally prefer it to his hand-drawn style. Great stuff.

Brass Sun is heart-breakingly superb comics. One day in the future, when Brass Sun is complete and a distant memory, we'll be hailing it as one of the prog's very best thrills of all time.

Savage - I literally only started bothering with this due to the current series, and now cannot wait for the Essential Collection to start reprinting it. I hope it's always this bonkers!

Bad Company - I'm trying, I really am, but I just don't know any Bad Company (aside from what was reprinted years ago in the Meg) and haven't got a clue. But by Grud, the Dayglo droid should get far more work from Tharg than he currently does! Always a joy to behold!

So yeah, good Prog!

Trout

Brass Sun was my favourite this week and that's a great Dredd story, especially the art.

broodblik

Very good prog

Dredd my favourite (first time in weeks that I can say this).  I really liked the way the colour schema supported the script and the atmosphere of the story.
Brass Sun is close second and I even liked Bad Company (I still miss the Brett Ewins art from the original)

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Trout on 28 February, 2018, 03:12:35 AM
Brass Sun was my favourite this week and that's a great Dredd story, especially the art.

This ^^^

Just waiting for the rest to expire....
DDT did a job on me

norton canes

Unfortunately it's another ho-hum prog after the excellent Dredd story - even the renewed promise showed by Brass Sun over the last couple of weeks has faded a bit.

Which means I can instead canvas some opinions on the cover. Am I the only person who thinks Lamia's apparel isn't practical or appropriate, and that it's not even especially accurately rendered? I know certain conventions are often followed when it comes to illustrating the human form for comics, especially when the subjects are clad in skin-hugging attire, but this looks ridiculous to the point of tastelessness. Artists don't draw male Judges with intimate parts of their anatomy bulging through their uniforms (at least not in the prog they don't, what they draw in their own time is their business) so I'm not sure why Lamia has been depicted in such an explicit fashion. It looks gratuitous, exaggerated and to be honest a bit tawdry, and detracts from an otherwise excellent illustration.

Just me thinking along those lines..?

Taryn Tailz

Today would usually be the day I would pick up the prog from my local newsagent, but not a single delivery has been able to make it through the snow; bearing in mind that I live within the part of Scotland currently under 'Red Alert' for snow.

I'll just be hiding beneath my bed, huddling a loaf of bread, until all this is over.

DrJomster

That was a nice step up in thrill power levels. Really enjoyed all of that. Particularly Dredd and Brass Sun. Lovely stuff indeed!

Can't believe I've got to wait 6 days till the next Prog!

*stumbles off in the direction of the digital shop app thingy*
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Tjm86

Quote from: Woolly on 25 February, 2018, 04:08:05 PM
But by Grud, the Dayglo droid should get far more work from Tharg than he currently does! Always a joy to behold!

Not sure about 'always'.  There is a lot to commend his style but for me he was woefully misapplied on the last Rogue Trooper series.  His strengths lie in the cartoon style that gives a degree of whimsy to a strip.  Probably why he has worked so well on Tank Girl.  His attempts to develop on Ewins' original style have had mixed results.  Enjoyable but not overwhelming.