The Aeniad by Virgil
Les Fleurs Du Mal by Charles Baudelaire
The Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio De Maria

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

don quixote
ariel by sylvia plath
love and rockets

Daveycandlish

I've been re-reading the Button Man series and I think it's the first time I've dipped back into Book Four since it was collected. Loved the first three stories but I think I was just on a downer with the the fourth because it wasn't drawn by Arthur Ransom. It's still a damned fine tale and Fraser Irving does a good job with it but even after all these years I still miss A R's work. I do wish Rebellion had continued publishing the series in hardback though - the first book is a thing of beauty.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

zombemybabynow

shades of grey - jasper fforde
hitchhiker's... [5 books]
the city and the city -  China Miéville
Iain M Banks - hydrogen sonata
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

BPP

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 23 March, 2021, 05:15:30 PM
I've been re-reading the Button Man series and I think it's the first time I've dipped back into Book Four since it was collected. Loved the first three stories but I think I was just on a downer with the the fourth because it wasn't drawn by Arthur Ransom. It's still a damned fine tale and Fraser Irving does a good job with it but even after all these years I still miss A R's work. I do wish Rebellion had continued publishing the series in hardback though - the first book is a thing of beauty.

Always baffled by the negativity to book 4. Irving's work is astounding, for me the best he produced for 2000ad. The fusion of his style with a more grounded realism really worked. It always seemed a knee-jerk reaction from fandom not getting more Ransom.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: BPP on 24 March, 2021, 10:27:32 PM
Always baffled by the negativity to book 4. Irving's work is astounding, for me the best he produced for 2000ad. The fusion of his style with a more grounded realism really worked. It always seemed a knee-jerk reaction from fandom not getting more Ransom.

Yeah, I liked Frazer's work on that, too. I keep saying that they should do Bk5 with Pete Doherty on the art — firstly because Pete doesn't do enough strip work, but secondly because he'd be perfect, with his talent for very naturalistic body language and expressive use of deep shadow.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

BPP

Oh yeah, seconded.

Doherty can do beautifully grubby ordinary realism so well. Sublime artist and colourist. He did a 2 part John Smith Meg Dredd in 2009 - old wounds - and it's another of those neglected art joys. See also the Morrison / Taylor Great Executions from megs in 2012.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Bolt-01

Another vote for Pete Doherty here. I adore his work.

AlexF

Inspired by Funt Solo's mention of 'Elements of Eloquence' - a book I'd never heard of but can already tell I'm going to love - here are two comics I can never seem to get enough out of:

99 Ways to tell a Story by Matt Madden
Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud