Main Menu

Doctor Who, 13/5/06 - Taffy Borg in Steampunk Land

Started by Bico, 13 May, 2006, 07:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bico

The usual Whovians are off t'Bristol to get sketches of the Gronk, so it falls to ssomeone to start a thread about the Cybermen episode.
Loved to see the zeppelin - ubiquitous or not - in the preview for the episode, and I'm quite looking forward to seeing the big tinfoil goofs clomp about Cornwall.  My only concern is that the alternative Earth's K-9 will lure them all to Fort Knox or something for the deus ex finale - unless the season finale is an invasion of the 'real' Earth by the alternate Cybermen.
Anyway, it'd take an act of self-destructive anti-genius not to do a decent episode here, as you've potentially got the chance for a really fun stand-alone episode with an alternate version of the main cast, where maybe the Doctor is a woman played by Diana Rigg or something.

Adrian Bamforth

Not being an expert myself, is alternate dimensions really in the spirit of Doctor Who? I often think that kind of thing opens up too big a can of worms unless done very skillfully.

ADE

SamuelAWilkinson

It's been done a lot more than you'd think. There was a huge Tom Baker (or possibly Peter Davidson) story arc where he had to go through a big load of alternate universes looking for the Key to Time or some such.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Dudley

opaque

Also there is the school of thought that everytime someone changes something in the past another dimenaion is created.

Dark Jimbo

Weeeeeeeee!!!!

The Cybermen are back!!!
@jamesfeistdraws

Bico

Relative dimensions surely relates to curved space rather than alternate realities?  I was always under the impression that the internal space of the Tardis  was artificially created, rather than an actual bit of physical space The Doctor carted about.  A pocket in spacetime, basically, which would explain why the exact size of its internal dimensions are open to debate.
All this techno-wank is probably something to do with how they end up in bizarro-world, though.

Eric Plumrose

Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

SamuelAWilkinson

I agree with Bumsex. The Relative Dimensions stuff refers to the internal dimensions of the TARDIS itself.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Bico

You might want to phrase that differently in future - "I agree with Mr Superking", perhaps.
Less likely to be open to interpretation.

Bico

That was a bit slow for my liking.  Seemed to take ages to get going, even though the makers must have known there was no point building up to the Cybermen's appearance since that would be spoilered to buggery in the papers for weeks preceeding the show.  Trig from Only Fools was a bit hammy, but not as bad as you'd expect given he didn't have a whole heap to work with beyond 'he's a bit like Davros in pantomime'.
Not much of a cliffhanger, either, as I daresay he'll survive - though no trailer for next week's episode to spoiler how.
It was alright as a whole, but I reckon they could've fit both parts into one week's episode without much trouble if they'd been so inclined.

Dark Jimbo

I think possibly I prefer the 'big-headed' era cybermen, but otherwise these new guys looked pretty damn funky.

All round pretty good.
@jamesfeistdraws

Bico

Oh, and I spotted two references to Torchwood Institute - does that mean the Doctor has a counterpart on this Earth?

Artificial Idiot

Two? I only caught one (at the party, Rose's dad asked some guy who it was going). Getting a bit tired of them, to be honest...