Main Menu

Terry Pratchett's Hogfather on Sky 1, 8pm

Started by Bico, 17 December, 2006, 05:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bico

Anyone planning on watching Hogfather on Sky 1 tonight?
I've just been watching the 'making of' for it, and it was quite masturbatory how much everyone was congratulating themselves on what looks like one of the cheapest, tackiest things on television since they stopped repeating Rentaghost.  The man who plays Mr Teatime needs a right good slap - or at least whoever told him to deliver his lines in that manner does.
Watching this will dovetail nicely with Torchwood - possibly even make it look a lot better as a consequence.

I could be wrong, of course - Hogfather could be the second coming in terms of tv fantasy shows.  I suppose I'll find out at 8 o'clock tonight.

SamuelAWilkinson

I'll be watching it going in blind - no trailers, no making ofs, no nothing. That way it'll still be good right up until the point that it starts.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Byron Virgo

Why do people insist on watching shite that they don't like, just so that they can then bitch about it at great length afterwards?

It's quite simple - if you don't think it's any good, why are you wasting time watching it? Turn off your TV and go and do something else, or at least go and watch something more worthwhile if you can't bear to have the magic eye box off for more than five minutes - The Sweet Smell of Success, for example.

paulvonscott

I'll definitely be avoiding this, in no way interested in anything to do with Terry Pratchett.

Bico

That's crazy talk, Berridge - if we only watched good stuff on television, we'd have nothing left to watch at all! And it hasn't been on yet anyway - I was going by the self-congratulatory Making Of documentary, which I freely admit are always puff-pieces regardless.

This one tickles my Sunset Beach senses.  I may enjoy it for reasons other than those intended by the producers.

Byron Virgo

"That's crazy talk, Berridge - if we only watched good stuff on television, we'd have nothing left to watch at all!"

You say that like it's supposed to be bad though. Take this Christmas TV schedules - bugger all on that any sensible person would chose to watch. So why bother?

"This one tickles my Sunset Beach senses. I may enjoy it for reasons other than those intended by the producers."

I don't agree with this ironic TV-watching, 'it's-so-bad-that-it's-good' silliness - either it's good or it's 'so-bad-that-it's-bad'.

Except for Love Boat. That's fantastic!

Buttonman

Once again Byron you show your foolishness to a wide audience. The Love Boat, or VD Boat as it was known in my house, was a cringeworthy, laughter tracked piece of crap where everyone got laid. We all know that doesn't happen, eh comic fans?

The best show of that era would have to be 'Soap', especially when Burt got replaced by an alien with humerous consequences.

Byron Virgo

"Once again Byron you show your foolishness to a wide audience."

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you, being my arch-enemy and all...

The Love Boat was great - there's only one token black character in the whole programme, and they make him the bartender! Brilliant!

JOE SOAP

I can't stand Terry Pratchett so I won't be watching it although that puppet "gnomes" series that was on ITV years ago was kinda good for kids.

The Adventurer

Being an American I won't be watching it live when it airs, but I'll be watching it as soon as humanly possible. I'm stoked because I love Terry Pratchett's work and this looks to be a solid TV adaption of one of his most amazing and deepest novels.

Can't wait.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Jim_Campbell

Banished upstairs for a fag while there's a commercial break.

Not bad, so far. The look is a little too Victorian for my tastes (but -- I suppose -- appropriate for the Christmas theme). Fantastic cast: David Jason, David Warner, Joss Ackland, Iain Richardson ... who actually does sound like Death ...

This might actually be the first piece of Sky One original progamming that's not complete shite!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bico

Only minor niggles about it, really - the main gripe would be the narrator that points out that Hogswatch is a christmas analogue, which breaks the fourth wall a little too much.  The look is all over the place, but then that's inevitable with tv shows and cgi effects - although the hogs were well done in places.
The actress who plays Susan is a little disappointing, especially noticable because so much of the story hinges on her having a bit of charisma, which she really doesn't.  The Auditor's voice was oddly nasal, though not as bad as Teatime's, which is quite possibly the most annoying American accent I've ever heard.  I kept mistaking the guy who plays him with that guy who took over the central role in Game On after the first series, but apparantly Teatime is played by some chap from The DaVinci Code and Hustle, neither of which I've seen - in retrospect, I've been quite fortunate.
I've seen worse (on Sky 1, usually), but it's not bad enough to be memorable or entertaining, and not good enough to be a classic.  I'm not sure how well it'll play with non-Pratchett fans, but then people like Robin Hood, apparantly.

Byron Virgo

"Teatime is played by some chap from The DaVinci Code and Hustle, neither of which I've seen"

Marc Warren. He was in that episode of Doctor Who about the people who sit around in a disused factory and play ELO covers. And he's going to be playing Dracula in the new BBC adaptation, so that'll probably be another one worth missing.

I, Cosh

Why do people insist on watching shite that they don't like, just so that they can then bitch about it at great length afterwards?

Ask PVS.
We never really die.

ThryllSeekyr