Main Menu

GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 March, 2017, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 August, 2017, 03:38:15 PMThanks for the Les Dennis thing, Greg's Dad - that's my head wrecked too now.  I'll fire one back at you - once observed, the rapidly expanding waistlines of Tom, Harry, Chakotay and even Tuvok as Season 4 proceeds can never be unseen.

Also cannot be unseen.

TordelBack

I used to feel obliged to point this out to the kids every time we sat through the credits, along with the incredibly small solar prominence that Voyager unwisely flies under.  However, my son observed that my precious Next Generation's title sequence is way more astronomically bizarre and I should just give it a rest.  It's probably something to do with thoron radiation or anti-protons, like everything else in Voyager.

Professor Bear

Pulling at the dodgy science thread in a show that gave us Threshold is probably not the way forward, but I would have thought TNG had an in-built get-out for its dodgy CGI intro: it was the best they could do at the time and they are to be commended for trying.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 August, 2017, 01:27:56 PM
Pulling at the dodgy science thread in a show that gave us Threshold is probably not the way forward...

I'll see your Threshold (solution: bombard 'em with anti-protons, and never try a transwarp shuttle again even though it would plainly work for non-organic lifeforms, if only you had one of those on board) and raise you one Demon (solution: spacesuits have hitherto unseen backup systems that allow you to pass out from oxygen starvation in seconds but also keep your unconscious self alive in a ripped suit on a hell-planet indefinitely, and half the crew instantly agrees to have their bodies, memories and consciousnesses duplicated by an unknown alien force and then abandoned on said hell-planet forever).

Professor Bear

I'll raise you that episode of TNG and those episodes of Voyager featuring The Irish.

The Legendary Shark

I'll see your Holodeck Fairhaven and raise you a big green space hand and Spock's brain.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

ENTERPRISE: THESE ARE THE VOYAGES...  as it is finale but it about Riker not about Enterprise.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 August, 2017, 03:30:44 PM
I'll raise you that episode of TNG and those episodes of Voyager featuring The Irish.

I think those are fair and representative depictions of the future of the Irish people, especially Up the Long Ladder which hearteningly shows that J. M. Synge's plays are still taught in US colleges, albeit in Anthropology class.

Dreddzilla

Quote from: Goaty on 07 August, 2017, 05:42:59 PM
ENTERPRISE: THESE ARE THE VOYAGES...  as it is finale but it about Riker not about Enterprise.
Agreed, Easily one of the WORST episodes of any Trek series Ever. It's in my top five worst episodes of Trek.

Professor Bear

Apparently, whoever publishes the Enterprise tie-in novels wasn't impressed, either: the editorial guidance for the imprint instructs writers to ignore the series finale.

I don't even consider the final episode of Enterprise canon: it ignores the Romulan War entirely, and Shran is treated like he lived in a hole for 7 years rather than became a member of the regular cast, as was the plan for season five.  The episode just seemed like a clumsy attempt by Braga and Berman to take their ball home after being sidelined from the game by the network for season 4.

Professor Bear

I dunno - I think if he felt they were dreadful and that he should be fired, he would have said so.

JLC

Quote from: Dreddzilla on 09 August, 2017, 06:48:23 AM
http://trekmovie.com/2017/08/07/les-moonves-tells-cbs-investors-first-six-episodes-of-star-trek-discovery-are-terrific/

Of course they are "terrific".
"It is the perfect vehicle to take All Access to the next level and beyond." There we go, the real reason for this show's existence.

Dandontdare

But TNG had such a good record with the Celtic races - what about that one with Dr Crusher and the Scottish ghost?

The Legendary Shark

And Scotty held by the buffer. Have you ever been held by the buffer, Madam? By Jove...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]