Main Menu

GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 March, 2017, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

"Fans" that seem to be ex-Trek cast members who spend 90% of their free time at conventions and don't have a bad word to say about anything - and including at least one cast member of Star Trek Continues, a show that can only release its final two episodes if CBS don't call out the lawyers.
Seems airtight to me - the show must be good after all.

TordelBack

Quote from: von Boom on 22 September, 2017, 09:37:39 PM
Abram's influence on ST:D.

https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/21/exclusive-akiva-goldsman-on-influence-of-jj-abrams-films-on-star-trek-discovery/

My grud but that was some professional-level bollocks. 

QuoteA more kinetic camera, a more dynamic way of existing, a much greater use of practical sets so when you're running down a corridor, you're running down a corridor. A sense of rhythm...there is a sense of litheness, a kind of fluidity in the characterizations

Reads like Waldo Dobbs translating a Torquetto Jubbli script.

Professor Bear

Fuck all y'all, Goldsman wrote the best Batman movie and the best Lost in Space reboot film that came out in 1998 starring a member of the cast of Friends and Gary Oldman, this still might be good.

von Boom

What I wanted from Goldsman was to say 'Abrams? Fuck Abrams!'

IAMTHESYSTEM

The shows Producers seem upbeat about Discovery, and the soundings from the screening have been brimming with confidence, so it might be that we've all got the wrong end of the stick and ST:D is a competent piece of work and not the oddball mess it appeared to be at first. I hope it does well and becomes as popular as other Star Trek series have become and if not, well that's' life sometimes.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

blackmocco

Pretty excited. Took a while to come round for me, but really looking forward to it now. I'm not gonna bag on Orville but "it's not as bad as I thought it would be" isn't exactly what I was hoping for with a new Trek-ish show.

Outside of the official twitterscape, I've a mate who happened to be drinking in a pub near where the premiere screening was held. He was telling me a big crowd arrived in after the event and were very happy with what they'd seen. Different enough to feel new but very much still Star Trek. Apparently it looks beautiful.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Professor Bear

All kvetching aside, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is one of my favorites, and actually made a profit at the box office, but I've enjoyed pretending Trek has a high bar.

blackmocco

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 23 September, 2017, 03:52:18 PM
...I've enjoyed pretending Trek has a high bar.

This is the truth of things.  Over the last two or three years the combo of my kids' unnatural interest, Netflix and lot of boring nightshifts have resulted in me rewatching almost all of Trek (not really dug into Enterprise yet, but once we're finished Voyager), and the reality is that it's ALL pretty crap (except when it isn't), but it's also all pretty enjoyable crap (except when it isn't).  'Star Trek' as a coherent brand of good-quality thoughtful SF (or even 'SF') is very much something that has existed in my head rather than on the screen, but somehow the aggregate discordant protracted mess of the thing still manages to engage and make it so.

Here's hoping Discovery follows the trend.

Goaty

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 September, 2017, 05:12:16 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 23 September, 2017, 03:52:18 PM
...I've enjoyed pretending Trek has a high bar.

This is the truth of things.  Over the last two or three years the combo of my kids' unnatural interest, Netflix and lot of boring nightshifts have resulted in me rewatching almost all of Trek (not really dug into Enterprise yet, but once we're finished Voyager), and the reality is that it's ALL pretty crap (except when it isn't), but it's also all pretty enjoyable crap (except when it isn't).  'Star Trek' as a coherent brand of good-quality thoughtful SF (or even 'SF') is very much something that has existed in my head rather than on the screen, but somehow the aggregate discordant protracted mess of the thing still manages to engage and make it so.

Here's hoping Discovery follows the trend.

I think that's pretty spot on. The brilliance of Trek for me lies in what it aspires to be and not in what it actually is.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

I guess now we know why CBS weren't too worried about The Orville - Fox have done what they usually do and the show's new (and presumably temporary) timeslot saw the ratings take a nosedive.  I guess we can stick a fork in it now, which is a shame even if I just can't unsee Star Trek when they're sitting in the ready room jawing away about a clash of cultures that can only be resolved by returning to the aliens' home planet and having a tribunal because yes episode 3 is one of those, but it's... uh... actually pretty good?  It's a thing about gender norms being surgically enforced by an all-male species and is surprisingly earnest for something that opens with a dick joke, but those looking for a TNG-scented sci-fi comfort blanket need look no further for something to cuddle.

blackmocco

Quote from: Professor Bear on 23 September, 2017, 10:15:54 PM
I guess now we know why CBS weren't too worried about The Orville - Fox have done what they usually do and the show's new (and presumably temporary) timeslot saw the ratings take a nosedive.  I guess we can stick a fork in it now, which is a shame even if I just can't unsee Star Trek when they're sitting in the ready room jawing away about a clash of cultures that can only be resolved by returning to the aliens' home planet and having a tribunal because yes episode 3 is one of those, but it's... uh... actually pretty good?  It's a thing about gender norms being surgically enforced by an all-male species and is surprisingly earnest for something that opens with a dick joke, but those looking for a TNG-scented sci-fi comfort blanket need look no further for something to cuddle.

That scent's a little too overpowering for me. Just watched the latest one. Oof. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Thursday night's the slot it was always intended for here in the US. First two were following huge audiences watching football on FOX to get it in front of people. (Which is just as well for my further employment. Orville was playing in Family Guy's timeslot...) They've moved Gotham too to launch them as a Thursday night double-bill. Tough night. Biggest TV viewing night in the US and up against vile but very popular filth like Grey's Anatomy, Big Bang Theory and the now about to be relaunched Will and Grace <shudder>.

They may have anticipated the ratings. Hard to know. If it were any other network, I'd say maybe they'll give it a chance to find an audience - they've invested heavily in this and Big Mac makes them a boatload of money - but this is FOX. Absolutely merciless if something doesn't perform. Unless it starts grabbing viewers quickly, I could see this being a one-way trip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oMTmtN7lHI

www.BLACKMOCCO.com