Main Menu

Prog 2039 - Eye in the Sky!

Started by Richard, 08 July, 2017, 01:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: CalHab on 11 July, 2017, 08:08:37 AM
Yes, Brink and Grey Area are the clear standouts in this prog. I really like the way that Grey Area is going, clearly we're building up to something, but the individual episodes are complete and satisfying on their own.

Defoe seems to have decided to become a 17th century Marshal Law at the end of the series. Hmmm.

He does hunt superior heroes.  I don't think he's found any yet though.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 13 July, 2017, 01:07:47 PM
Yes, Brink and Grey Area are the clear standouts in this prog. I really like the way that Grey Area is going, clearly we're building up to something, but the individual episodes are complete and satisfying on their own.

Defoe seems to have decided to become a 17th century Marshal Law at the end of the series. Hmmm.

In case there are any here who haven't had the pleasure...

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 July, 2017, 12:44:42 PM
Brink ... has it been definitely established that [spoiler]the tenatcley space gods really exist?[/spoiler]

Nope, which is what makes it interesting. Like Hobbes in Calvin & Hobbes.

A.Cow

Quote from: Frank on 13 July, 2017, 04:05:41 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 July, 2017, 12:44:42 PM
Brink ... has it been definitely established that [spoiler]the tenatcley space gods really exist?[/spoiler]
Nope, which is what makes it interesting. Like Hobbes in Calvin & Hobbes.

Only problem is ... due to Culbard's line-work also appearing on Brass Sun, I keep thinking that Brink is part of the Edgintonverse and that the [spoiler]eye logo / tentacle stuff[/spoiler] is linked to Leviathan & Ampney Crucis.

There's too much symbolic overlap (unless Abnett & Edginton are secretly working together...?)

Echidna

Quote from: sheridan on 13 July, 2017, 01:07:47 PM

I read Marshall Law recently for the first time and loved it. I wish Mills' recent output was as passionate. Can't say I was particularly affected by the ending to Diehards, and the reveal that young Daniel will grow up to be Daniel Defoe was just cheesy. Lovely work from MacNeil, of course - I didn't think we'd see painted work from him again after Insurrection III.

Hunted is ticking along fine but has yet to really grip me.

In a rare twist, Dredd is the weakest thing in the prog. Like everyone already said, the idea is solid but the story did nothing with it - much like last week's hugely disappointing conclusion to Parental Guidance.

Dan Abnett keeps this prog from being completely forgettable, with a funny/sad Grey Area interlude and a tantalisingly tentacley Brink. As usual, Abnett has all the best lines: I can't choose between "Verging on the non-Euclidian" (Lovecraft references FTW) or "A 'friend' is one of the terms humans use to describe organisms they are obliged to spend time with."

norton canes

I might have to go for "In almost every form, it closely resembles vom"