Main Menu

BICS

Started by mygrimmbrother, 08 September, 2009, 11:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Can anyone help me with a hotel recommendation that's walkable (or not too extortionate in a taxi) for both the venue and New Street station? I can only afford to stop over on the Saturday night, and -- frankly -- I'm struck by the paucity of hotels in Birmingham city centre!

I've had less trouble finding affordable rooms in central London ... I'm not picky -- a bed and an en suite shower and loo will do me, but I really need the room to come in close to the £50 mark than £100 ...

Help very much appreciated!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Kev Levell

Never stayed at one, but a quick search here led to a couple of options with the Ibis group.

hope that helps, they were showing rooms available at reasonable rates...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: KevLev on 21 September, 2009, 08:42:40 AM

hope that helps, they were showing rooms available at reasonable rates...

Thanks for that, Kev, but as with all the other hotels I've found it founders on the reviews. I'm not picky, but when multiple reviews use the word 'dirty', it's not worth it.

Looks like Birmingham's shitty hotel selection has defeated me, then, and I won't be stopping over on the Saturday night.

Arse.

Jim

stacey

Hi Jim

We are staying at the Brittania, its cheap and walking distance of both station and venue.  It's not the best hotel ever but it's ok and I think there are quite a few folk staying there. 

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: stacey on 21 September, 2009, 10:10:58 AM
Hi Jim

We are staying at the Brittania, its cheap and walking distance of both station and venue.  It's not the best hotel ever but it's ok and I think there are quite a few folk staying there. 

Yeah. It's full.

Cheers

Jim

stacey

Oh - sorry.  Erm after quick squizz on internet the cheapest I can find is £71 for the Jurys Inn (after the Ibis!) I haven't stayed there so can't say what its like.  I am rubbish at this helping lark I think I should probably stop now!

Jim_Campbell

Don't worry, Stacey! It's largely my own fault for leaving it so late.

Besides, I'm only coming from Nottingham (although the trains are inexplicably slow -- I can get to St Pancras in a mere 15 mins more than it takes to get to New Street), so a pre-booked single each way will only cost me £7.00.

Cheers!

Jim

moly

the jurys inn isnt to bad, try the city inn just off broad street they sometimes do some good deals at the weekend also if you fancy i nice pub to meet up try the pub at the burlington hotel really nice boozer with a gothic decor and no idiots.

stacey

Jim if you aren't too fussy there is always this place http://www.hb-247.com/aff/index.cfm  its the backpacker place, they still have space and private rooms and its dead cheap!

Jim_Campbell

Actually, the Burlington itself is surprisingly affordable for a single room on the Saturday. I think I'm booked -- I'm just waiting for a confirmation e-mail!

Cheers

Jim

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 September, 2009, 06:19:08 PM
I'm just waiting for a confirmation e-mail!

And we're confirmed. Unfortunately, the Paypal shopping cart for the BICS tickets seems to be on the blink now. I can get tickets on the door, can't I?

Cheers!

Jim

Odd_Bloke

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 September, 2009, 08:40:54 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 September, 2009, 06:19:08 PM
I'm just waiting for a confirmation e-mail!

And we're confirmed. Unfortunately, the Paypal shopping cart for the BICS tickets seems to be on the blink now. I can get tickets on the door, can't I?
As I understand it, you definitely can't pick up pre-bought tickets on the door.  I don't know about buying them on the door.

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 19 September, 2009, 01:35:54 PM
Open invite to any and all boarders- Make sure you stop by the FQP table, buy your copies of our comics and I'll make sure we can all arrange to meet up in the vening for drinkies and rubbish talking.

I'd also 'really' like to meet up on the friday- so if someone wants to nominate a pub I'll do my utmost to make sure that at least three boarders are there.

Hopefully bringing two Judges to raid the FQP table. We've got two costumes from the Minty fan film and two volunteers from the Galactic Knights costume group. They've got daysticks and like to get into character, so it might be an idea to give them a wide birth.

Steven

Odd_Bloke

There's another BICS thread going on over here which people might want to check out.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Odd_Bloke on 22 September, 2009, 10:51:09 PM
There's another BICS thread going on over here which people might want to check out.

Yeah, but that bastard Bluemeanie is on the other one, so I'll be stopping over here, thankyouverymuch.

Cheers

Jim