Main Menu

Storming Heaven

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 February, 2010, 05:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

With all I'd read about 'Storming Heaven' I figured it'd provide a good way to sum up Andy Diggle's time as Tharg's little helper. The thing is, while I understand people's opinions about it I really enjoyed it and it lacked the frustrations I've had with a lot of whats been on offer during Diggle's time.

To start with the obvious it looks bloody beautiful, really really beautiful. One of the most visually striking stories ever in the Prog. As for the story itself sure it packed a lot in, sure more time and space might have made it more accessible but to me it felt right. It felt like a trip, ideas crashing down at an incredible vibrant rate, firing up then spinning off. I also have a feeling that if it'd had longer to dwell on its concepts and ideas it'd have been in real danger of becoming pretentious naval gazing.

So maybe it did provide a fitting end to Diggle's rein, if not a summary of what'd gone before, rather as the accomplishment of his 'mandate'. Where so many of the ideas he tried to tie down to short punchy runs left me gasping with frustration at missed opportunity, this one worked and left me gasping with exhilaration. It is the perfect story for his concept of what 2000ad should be and so to me made perfect sense.

Trippy

Mike Gloady

BEEN in danger of BECOMING pretentious naval gazing?  Different strokes for different folks I guess.  I found it to be one of the absolute low points of Twoth history - worse than Ant Wars.

Woooo, drugs iz kooolllll.  Expand yore mindd, mannn......  Really?  It was like spending an evening in the presence of mates getting "off their face" on mushrooms or something.  No, it really didn't work.  Confirmed me in my "straight" and "non-hip" lifestyle for life.  So I guess I ought to be grateful.  

Frankly though, Colin, I'm really glad that it worked for you.  I honestly couldn't imagine it working for anyone, so it's good to hear a different point of view.

The art was amazing though.  Even if not quite my thing. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever