Main Menu

Red Seas - Twilight of the Gods and V.C.'s - Down

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 April, 2010, 08:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well almost didn't review these two here as frankly I've not got anything different to say from last time I've discussed them. Then realised they were so bloody brillant I'd crank something out just to applaud them.

Ok a couple of quibbles maybe. 'Twilight of the Gods' all ended a little too quickly for my tastes and... no no that seems to be about it for that one.

The dramatic death at the end of 'Down' was a little formulaic in that old war film kinda way... again nowt else.

Its just bloody wonderful comics. Both strips are rapidly becoming favourites to the extent that when I finished them both last night before going to sleep I had a quick look through the pile of 2004 comics to see if there was more to come 'this year'. Alas a tiny bit of Red Seas aside looks like I'll have to be patient.

One thing that unifies the two strips is the way their respective artists own them, both are just superb and perfect for the strip in question. Steve Yeowell is back to using the denser blacks that I missed for so long (and to be honest seems to have gone again) which really raise his art to the next level for me. Anthony William's work is so kinetic and lively when needs be, almost in a Norm Breyfogle way and yet so atmospheric and creepy at other moments. Don't get me wrong the I think the writing is brillant too its just the fact that the art by two 2000ad stalwarts is something else.

On a side note its becoming apparent that Edginton should stick to nurtical strips 'Leviathon' and 'Red Seas' for me are his best work by a mile!

Double good.