Main Menu

Just how GOOD are American comics?

Started by Art, 01 July, 2003, 10:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will I. Cooling

Plus it has great art. Although I'd check your local library before buying any as there's a good chance they may have the TPBs.

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Will I. Cooling

I'm just getting into American comics as its only recently I've been able to get to leicster on a regular basis to actually buy them however the ones I'm buying at the moment are:

Ulitmates/Ulitmate Spider-Man/Ulitmate X-Men

As someone has said all the Ulitmate titles are excellent in particular The Ulitmates and Ulitmate Spider-Man both of which contain great art and writing. Anyone who likes The Authority will love the Ulitmates and anyone who loves Buffy will love USPM. Ulitmate X-Men is good and should be getting even better with the might Bendis taking over this issue.

New X-Men: I've collected all bar two issues of Morrison's run on New X-Men in TPBs/comics and there are excellent. His writing shows th evolution  of Xavier's mission to a more stonewall-mutant rights organisation. There has been problems with fill in art when Quitely's not there although the current art by Chris Baccholi (bad spelling) looks good.

Alias: All hail mighty Bendis. Its a "crime noir" series that although its set in the Marvel Univese doesn't revolve round superheroes. The next arc sounds like its going to be a must read as it reveals why the lead character Jesserica refuses to be a superhero. MUST READ! As is Powers also by Bendis.

Punisher: Controvesial one this. Some people think that Gareth's writing is a bit one-dimensional and dislike his attempts at humor with the character. Me I love it although I do have massive obession with Ennis anyway and plus the next issue will be drawn by Cam Kenndy!

Y The Last Man: Only read the TPB although I've put it down as a regular. Great premise (what if all men bar 2 die (his pet monkey survives as well) with which Vaughan works in some great storylines and jokes! Must read!

The Authority: Love the characters, love Ellis's run (not read Miller's) but urgh the art on this is terrible plus Robbie isn't putting in his best writing. I'm sticking with it but only for a few more issues.

On the TPBs there are loads of great ones Preacher, Transmet (which due to its Sci-Fi bent would be the best way for a 2000ad reader to get into American comics), Stormwatch, ABC stuff (d'uh) and also Moore's Swamp Thing which despite its garish colouring is great (and there all in my local library).

However there is the question which do you prefer getting stories in 5-6 page weekly chunks or the 22 page montly ones of American comics? Me I thinl it depends on the comic in question. Team books work alot better with 22 pages as it gives room for all the characters to shine however the pure concerntrated thrill power of the 6 page burst is great for stories like Dredd that focus on one character.

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Mikey

Well,being weaned on 6 pagers,I'll go for that every week.Monthlies sometimes feel as if nothing's happened,a bit tune in next week for the sake of it.(Based on me own experience)Collected of said issues work better for me as you can get the whole arc in one sitting,plus the TPB's are where the creartors make some decent money off them!
"Always thinking of others"Mikey.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

JamieB

Some are, some ain't. I *did* try...

J-Bo-1

Pyroxian

>as its only recently I've been able to get to
>leicster on a regular basis to actually buy them

I hope you're going to Magic Labyrinth and not Another World then... (BTW Magic Labyrinth post my standing order to me, which makes it easier for me to get them)

Ummm... Comics I'm reading...

The main 3 X-titles (Love New X-Men (Grant Morrison - hoorah!), the other two are OK, but I've stuck with the X-men since the mid 100's, so I'll carry on)

Astro City - comes out very Sporadically but is one of the best-written superhero comics ever. I also like most stuff Kurt Busiek's written

The America's Best Comics stuff, apart from Promethea.

Authority and Planetary - both top.

I was getting Young Justice, but that's stopped now. I think I need to find some more Peter David titles to get though, as he's a very good writer.

I cancelled Thunderbolts and X-Force due to Marvel's 'stealth marketing' on them. i.e. keeping the title and numbering, but completely changing the comic - incredibly crap.

Umm - I was getting Battle of the Planets, which was OK but I slipped up in getting the issues and am now about 5 behind - so I'll wait for a Graphic Novel.

Ooh, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 'cos it's great!

Steve

Oddboy

I got the GN of The Crow... that's brilliant.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Trout

I buy JLA, JSA, Green Lantern, LoEG, Promethea, Tom Strong, Sleeper, New X-Men, Ultimate X-Men and various others on an occasional basis.

The Flash is usually pretty good, too.

I'm probably going to drop Ultimate X-Men, Green Lantern and JLA in the near future, due to ruthless cost-cutting and the fact that GL's been shit for years.
I've only been buying it out of habit.

However, I intend to look out for new Astro City and Planetary, although I'm arriving pretty late on those, I think.
I haven't been on one of my comics trips for a while.

- Trout

JamieB

There are two Planetary trades - All Over the World (#1-6) and The Fourth Man (#7-12), plus "The Planetary Reader" (#13-15), which came out a couple of weeks ago. Get that lot, and you're bang up to speed. It should be bi-monthly from August, IIRC.

J-Bo-I-Know-Who-The-Fourth-Man-Is-1

Trout

Hey, thank your sir. Most good of you.

I have the first two trades and, I think, #s 13 and 14, so I'm not too far behind.
I can just place an order now and keep up well enough.

So I also know who the fourth man is. I was a little disappointed, actually.

- Trout

JamieB

Heh. You *really* need to read #15 - the fight back starts here... ;)

J-Bo-And-I-Hope-They-F**kin'-Leather-The-Four-1

Matt Timson

"I hope you're going to Magic Labyrinth and not Another World then... (BTW Magic Labyrinth post my standing order to me, which makes it easier for me to get them)"

I worked in Another World way back when it first opened- when it was *actually* a comic shop.  These days it's full of PS2 games and the shitty staff look at you like you're from Mars if you want to buy comics.  Which is why I stand and read them instead- before buying them at Magic Labrynth.

Speaking of the Labrynth, they seem to feck up my order on a regular basis.  And move premises without telling anyone.  Mucho confusing.

Ultimates, Ultimate Spiderman, Daredevil, New X-men, Battle of the Planets (yes, I'm afraid so) and the Hulk.  Lots of other stuff here and there- depends on a mixture of who's writing or drawing.  I picked up issues one and two of Invincible (Image) because I really liked the artwork.
Pffft...

Trout

Forgot to mention The Filth, even though it leaves me quite upset a lot of the time. I have cats and I do court cover for a newspaper, which means I hear the sorry tales of paedophiles' lives often enough already.
The bastard who was jailed today (15 months) today was particularly evil. Don't even ask me.

Also, The Authority. I'm giving it a chance, for now, although I'm not desperate to get it forever. I suspect its day has gone but I like Robbie Morrison's work elsewhere, so he's getting a little patience for now.

- Trout

Tiplodocus

Your highness,

were you doing court a couple of weeks ago when that bloke legged it, dived into (presumably)your river and tried to swim to freedom.

I did laugh.

your humble, long necked and tiny brained guardian of the Knob Gag
Tips
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Ooh, and I don't get much time to read american comics but I have snuck a few Ultimates into my son's Christams and Birthday present lists and have been pleasantly suprised.

Was it Bendis did Ultimate Spiderman - I rather enjoyed that.

And the Ultimate X-men was quite fun too - though I'd like to have seen the characters over a sustained run to see if Millar has stopped making everyone 1-D action heroes.

A while back I did enjoy The Authority (Relentless) - was that Ellis.  

And I quite liked the start of Ian Edington on The Establishemnt (??) but lost interest halfway through.

I get them all mixed up The Authority/The Establishment/The middle management/The Guvnors/The "We gonna Bitch Slap ya lessen ya do as ya told".

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Leigh S

Somebody care to give the address of this "magic Labyrinth" place then - and does it have a lot of old tat as opposed to new tat?