Main Menu

Just how GOOD are American comics?

Started by Art, 01 July, 2003, 10:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Tom

Personally, I love the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Hellboy.
League is absolutely superb- great story, intelligent and multilayered. But my 12-year-old brother picked up the most recent issue and demanded to know what Hyde was doing. I decided he could wait until he was older.

Oddboy

I wasn't impressed with Hellboy from the Megazine reprints.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Pyroxian

>Somebody care to give the address of this "magic
>Labyrinth" place then - and does it have a lot
>of old tat as opposed to new tat?

They moved about a month or so ago, but they're on Charles Street sandwiched between the Job Centre and Wilkinsons.

They have old tat - though when I was last in there they were in the middle of sorting out the 2nd floor and all the back issues.

Steve

JamieB

"Seed of Destruction" is the first HELLBOY story, but not the best, really; for one thing, it's co-scripted by John Byrne (gack!). Mignola really finds his voice on some of the later stories ? especially the shorts, like "Pancakes" or "The Corpse". I'd also recommend the brilliant non-HELLBOY one-shot THE AMAZING SCREW-ON HEAD, which showcases Mignola's droll sense of humour very well indeed.

TASOH, referring to the stuffed dog he keeps in a glass cabinet: "We must be close. He smells the evil!"

End of the book:
"We were going to bring you the secret origin of The Amazing Screw-On Head, but we can't. So, instead, here's three horrible old women and a monkey". Cue four splash pages...

J-Bo-1

MOONSHINE

The best American Comics.

Those written by Brits of course!!!!!

Trout

Tips - that court escape was hilarious, wasn't it?

I wasn't there, but I was down the next day and the place was buzzing with it.
Apparently, he ran past a whole load of dozy cops before he jumped in the river.

Daft bugger.

(NB look out for him in another court soon, on more serious charges. I should really follow reporting restrictions and not mention it on the net, but think of the word Max from Hart To Hart used to end his introduction to every episode with...)

- Trout

Will I. Cooling

And Bendis!

Can't forget Bendis.

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

critter

Lets see I read NInja HIgh School, Warrior Nun Areala, Shoujo (from Antarctic Press), and Tarot Witch of the Black Rose (Broadsword Comics).

Critter