Main Menu

What is your favourite time for 2000ad?

Started by La Mer, 10 July, 2003, 06:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slippery PD

For me it was just after the appocolypse war up to about SD rage.  After that I think my wide eyed enthusiasm got the better of me and lft.

Boy did I love the getting the prog every saturday and finding time and space to read it all by myself...

Yer Slips

Pyroxian

Hmmm. He played C64 games - most ones published by US Gold, so yeah - I reckon there was some sort of deal going on there. As a games addict, I loved it.

13th floor was originally in Scream, but then moved to Eagle along with some other stories.

Steve

DavidXBrunt

Overkill was the uk marvel comic.

13th floor started out in Scream, and carried on in Eagle when Scream was finished and folded into Eagle a la 2000 A.D./ StarLord. Unless I'm much mistaken.

Pyroxian

Oh yeah, and as for being on-topic (oopsy) - From about Prog 200 to prog 550.

Steve

ARRISARRIS

The comic WoD is refering to is probably Load Runner, i got it for about 20 issues before it disappeared, anyone know anymore about it? I remember it was fortnightly and some of the strips where cool.

My favourite time for 2000ad is from Judges Death Lives and beyond untill about prog 400. Classic stuff.

longmanshort

After years of wondering about it, I finally got hold of the first four issues of Wildcat. And, sorry PVS, but to say the scripts are appalling is to insinuate a certain level of competancy. I suppose they were from a different age but even when they WERE around, they seem curiously dated.

Also got the freebie comic that explains WHY everyone's crowded onto this big ship. Terrible.
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

petemaskreplica

I suspect my favourite time is the same as most other's, i.e. the first few years when I was reading it (in my case prog 281 - ca. 500), when I was still young enough to be innocently thrilled by it all. I certainly remember prog 500 as being one of, if not my most favourite ever.
I also remember the excitement reading Destiny's Angels, which began at that time, not really knowing who the characters were but realising that there was some major stuff going on here, then digging around collecting back issues and hte titan reprints, putting the jigsaw together... it's that sense of discovery that you can't recapture as a cynical weary adult.

Having said that, I think it's on a roll at the moment, mostly of course because of the efforts of Andy Diggle and Matt Smith, but possibly partly because having begun the slide into senility I'm returning to that wide eyed state of mind...

Smiley

I agree and reckon readers tend to personally connect with the comic for a while, having the same 'before - during - after' phases. For me, until about Prog 100 it was everyone's comic. After 520 or so it felt like someone else's.

WoD

ARRISARRIS - Well done that peep.

Yep Load Runner, That was the one.  I've had  look on a few searches, but can only find a reference to a cover mounted record on one issue (which I think I remember), but nothing else.

I remember enjoying the comic as a kid, but I think all the issues have long since been thrown.

WoD.

Queen Firey-Bou

for me its always been the NOW.

but just now it really is 'now', because its great now.

Trout

I just read my prog in a comfy chair on my back porch, with gorgeous Perthshire countryside all around.

Paradise!

- Trout

Richmond Clements

Ahhh... but without a monkey in a hat... it's nothing.

chris_askham

Aah... I still remember my first prog as if it were only yesterday...Dredd taking on Nosferatu, Slaine battling the Cythron's, Ace Garp taking the night light flight...433 I think it was and I were just 12 years old.

I'd love to see more multi part series in current progs. Back in the day, we used to get 20-odd parters and nowadays everything's done and dusted in 9 parts. Lets have somrthing meatier - forget about tying everything up in time for the next 'offensive'.

Floyd-the-k

I think La Mer means `what stage of 2000 AD`s history is your favourite time?` rather than `when  do you like to read 2000 AD?`
    My favourite period is still the one when I started reading it, about 1995-96, with great stuff like Goodnight Kiss, Venus Bluegenes, Canon Fodder and the rambling, Alpha-less Strontium Dogs.
 My favourite time of day for reading it is on the train in the morning, if I can get a seat.

cheers,

Floyd

Oddboy

I can tell you when my LEAST favourite time was... this week while reading progs 868-872.  Normally there's at least ONE story in 2000AD worth reading, even in the Dark Ages, but no: if I hadn't already stopped reading 2K the first time round by this point, I would have then.
The only thing that looks like it might redeem the rest of the 800s is Luke Kirby, and possibly Clown II (although I've heard it's not good, but I liked the first one), and possibly Sl?ine (but I don't have high hopes on that front).

After that moan... here's some good periods of 2000AD:
Really starts getting good around prog 86 (after joining with Star Lord...) although Verdus had started a little before hand & I'd include that as a forerunner of the goods to come.
Then it pretty much stays on TOP FORM until the 700s - So I guess it would be Autumn '79 through to Autumn 1990 were (IMHO) the high time to be a 2000AD reader.

It been bloody good the last few years though mind.
Better set your phaser to stun.