Main Menu

2019 Sci-Fi Special: A Tribute to Carlos Ezquerra

Started by Leigh S, 15 June, 2019, 10:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Coleby's art is fantastic these days – he's a dynamic, exciting comic-book artist. MacNeil is an artist I've always appreciated, although his figure work somehow feels a bit stuff to me. Not sure why. However, if there's an artist that can 'take over' from Ezquerra (assuming the editorial staff want continuity of a kind, rather than a very obvious diversion), I really can't think of anyone better. Perhaps add into the contract – if he's game – that we'd like some chunky focal outlines and panel borders!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Frank

Quote from: broodblik on 16 June, 2019, 12:40:33 PM
Is Spector creator owned ?

Wagner said he and Ezquerra had been developing the character for decades, so I'd expect it to be creator-owned. I haven't heard him say he and Ezquerra had to sell Tharg the rights*, but maybe they did.

* As Edginton & Brooker had to for Scarlet Traces

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Frank on 16 June, 2019, 01:15:18 PMAs Edginton & Brooker had to for Scarlet Traces
Had to? They didn't have to do anything. They decided to.

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 16 June, 2019, 12:40:33 PM
Is Spector creator owned ?

By Mark Zuckerberg, as recently reported on LSN (Legendary Shark Network).

Frank

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 June, 2019, 01:28:43 PM
Quote from: Frank on 16 June, 2019, 01:15:18 PMAs Edginton & Brooker had to for Scarlet Traces

I'm not going to split hairs or derail the thread with tedious forum-drama. Get to footnote*

* Edginton and D'Israeli took the decision to surrender copyright because they wanted to finish their story. Presumably, they felt they'd exhausted all possibilities of continuing the story as a creator-owned proposition. I can't find the quote, but they said they had a good working relationship with Tharg and trusted him to do right by their creation. If you know Tharg offered to publish new chapters as creator-owned work but Edginton and D'israeli decided they'd rather surrender copyright and take a flat page rate (with royalties on trade collections) instead, I'll be happy to take a look at your working, but as far as I'm aware Tharg agreeing to publish more Scarlet Traces was conditional on the sale of all rights. That's the decision Edginton & D'Israeli made.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 June, 2019, 01:28:43 PM

That's certainly my understanding. Edington and Matt Brooker took the offer to Tharg and dealt with it all very amicably from what I've read.

Might not be right, but to state anything else as fact appears to be a bit silly and could even be said to be an attempt to stir up "tedious forum-drama"

Frank

Anyone questioning the factual accuracy of anything I wrote in my lengthy footnote, rather than talking about the Sci-fi Special, should feel free to contact me by PM.

Magnetica

Quote from: Leigh S on 15 June, 2019, 10:24:25 AM
MacNeil for me, but that would apply in just about any circumstance!  I'll lay off reading the script for the time being.

I've decided to read the script. That way you can imagine how Carlos would have drawn it. Once someone else does that will be harder to do. A bit like I can no longer read a Harry Potter book without seeing Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint.

Something Fishy

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 June, 2019, 09:31:09 AM
Quote from: Something Fishy on 15 June, 2019, 02:43:18 PM
Has this started to arrive for pre-orders? I got my subs but not this today.
Yeah, mine showed up this morning, albeit with a chunk out of the back cover/back few pages, for some reason. Not sure why/how, given that it's shipped in a stiff card envelope.

ahh thanks for confirming.  Very unusual for my lot not to all turn up together.  Fingers crossed for the next few days.  I have had the odd rebellion thing not make it here but it's very rare thankfully.

M.I.K.

I pre-ordered it as part of the bundle and don't have it yet either. I think the Villains special showed up on a monday, though.

Buttonman

Got mine and it's great.

The deceased creator at his desk surrounded by his creations is becoming a bit of a cliche but Robinson and Teague pulled it off for Carlos in great style.

Tharg's £20 for all the specials, post paid, has been a great offer - no doubt I'd have otherwise missed one throughout the year - instead it's regular surprise time!

Hopefully this offer will be repeated each year.

CalHab

Something Fishy

Quote from: M.I.K. on 16 June, 2019, 10:44:27 PM
I pre-ordered it as part of the bundle and don't have it yet either. I think the Villains special showed up on a monday, though.

and funnily enough mine did arrive today.  Different packaging to the subs so perhaps not sent from same place?