Main Menu

STRONTIUM DOG: SEARCH AND DESTROY WEBSHOP EXCLUSIVE

Started by Rogue Judge, 08 April, 2020, 09:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tjm86 on 12 June, 2020, 04:07:06 PM
I suppose it will be too much to hope that they will give the hardback treatment to the 2000ad year stories now?  Probably not but we can live in hope, no?

Doubtful, so soon after the Ultimate Collection giving us just that.
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

Just ordered the standard version. The web shop confirmed the only differences are the front and rear covers - the content is the same. So with my newly re-instated subscriber discount I got it for a tenner - bargin.

Not that I'll actually have it until November 😉

sintec

My copy just arrived today.  Only read the first couple of stories so far but absolutely loving it.  This is the intro the strip didn't get in the Ulimate Collection. Really glad to have grabbed a copy to round that out.

seanharry

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 June, 2020, 04:17:21 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 12 June, 2020, 04:07:06 PM
I suppose it will be too much to hope that they will give the hardback treatment to the 2000ad year stories now?  Probably not but we can live in hope, no?

Doubtful, so soon after the Ultimate Collection giving us just that.

Quite a bit of Strontium Dog Goes to hell featured painted or coloured art, and was apparently printed in B&W in the Ultimate Collection, so it may work to bring out a second volume.

Tjm86

Now that I would love.  Granted the first post merger SD story was fairly mundane but "Goes to Hell" was Ezquerra on full form to my mind.  Colour repro of some of those centre spreads would be something else again.

I get that the Ultimate collection has been quite recent and might cut into uptake.  That's a shame really.  Like I say, I live in hope.  I'm not completely convinced the relationship with Hachette was the best choice.  When you consider the fun and games that some folks have endured with the UC, the state of some of the books when they have turned up, the quality of repro in some cases and the spines (Cook's art is lovely but finding anything ....)

:'(

Rogue Judge

I'm also holding out for a hardback collection of the SD 2000AD years...not living in the UK, so I didn't have access to the Ultimate Collection, and I'd much rather have a complete Rebellion set like this hardback. (Which includes the final SD story by Ezquerra, of course...currently missing from my TPB collection)

IndigoPrime

Honestly, I would look at the paucity of 2000 AD HCs right now and drawn conclusions from that. Hachette might not be great in various ways, but there is no way we'd have ever seen full HC runs of the sheer number of 2000 AD characters we have otherwise. (Frankly, I'm a little surprised the 2000 AD collection appeared at all, and that it's looking like being extended so heavily.)

Mostly, repro has been fine. It's clearly been taken from existing Rebellion volumes for the most part. Deliveries can be a problem, but I've never had an issue in getting replacements for damage. The spines remain a major bugbear of mine though. If there was a way of printing custom spines somehow, I'd gladly do that for all my volumes. (I've not found anything viable for that, sadly.)

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 June, 2020, 11:38:18 AM
Honestly, I would look at the paucity of 2000 AD HCs right now and drawn conclusions from that. Hachette might not be great in various ways, but there is no way we'd have ever seen full HC runs of the sheer number of 2000 AD characters we have otherwise. (Frankly, I'm a little surprised the 2000 AD collection appeared at all, and that it's looking like being extended so heavily.)

Mostly, repro has been fine. It's clearly been taken from existing Rebellion volumes for the most part. Deliveries can be a problem, but I've never had an issue in getting replacements for damage. The spines remain a major bugbear of mine though. If there was a way of printing custom spines somehow, I'd gladly do that for all my volumes. (I've not found anything viable for that, sadly.)

What about a bellyband? Not ideal - you'd have to slide it on and off when you took a book down to read, and they tend to get scuffed and ripped easily (I believe it's why retailers aren't keen on them) but you could probably run a batch off on card relatively cheaply with a simple two-part template, and you could fit a reasonable amount of information on them, as well as printing something sympathetic to the cover design on the UC. Preferable to stickers or a fixed cardboard spine to cover the existing ones, and you could always print new ones as and when.

IndigoPrime

That could work. I have researched sticker-based replacement spines, but couldn't find anything that would be suitable for the long term.

The Amstor Computer

It'd be a bit of work, but TBH I take most of my books off the shelf little enough that bellybands would work fine for something like this. Waste of time for stuff like my type reference books or anything that's coming down to be read over a week or two, but for something that's going to be shelved for most of the year and read quickly when it's down it could work.

I've never come across sticker spines before - are they available as a simple solution or would you have to make your own?

IndigoPrime

I was for a time looking at designing my own and printing them here, but I couldn't find anything that would properly last. Perhaps I'll ask in town—although applying the things could turn out to be a horrible nightmare.

I do wonder about this. For how many people is spine art really a draw to stick with a subscription?

Dark Jimbo

I'd much rather just have titles on the spines, however nice the art - particularly as I'm cherry-picking anyway! The Eaglemoss partwork books are a no-brainer solution - the art takes up roughly the bottom half to two-thirds of the spine, and the title is on the top third.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

That would work also. Even the Marvel ones better the 2000 AD spines, through having character indicators.