Main Menu

Pat Mills moving onto new things it would seem

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 August, 2020, 07:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

I do not think he is burning his bridges anymore I would say that he is using a thermonuclear device to annihilate the existence off any bridges
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Leigh S

From the comments here, I'm not sure everyone viewing Pat's blog are doing so to show solidarity as he assumes in his latest blog - moreso to divine if that really is the last time we will see his characters in 2000AD?

I find this all more than a bit depressing.  I'm with Pat on copyright, so much so that the memo has really infuriated me, but not just in the way Pat might suppose - The idea that there seemed to be a genuine chance to return copyright back then just breaks my heart. Pat is more interested in using this to show Sanders sharp practices, but if that is the case, where is the missing chapter of this tale where Moore or Mills called his bluff on returning copyright and it exposed it for the sham it was?

And if it really was a "divide and conquer" strategy to give one creator ownership, how does he square that with him angling for and getting copyright on "The Terra Meks"?

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

moly

Would be a shame if Defoe and savage didn't appear again and apart from the art slaine and abc warriors have not moved forward in over 10 years maybe longer.

JayzusB.Christ

Aye. I am eternally grateful to him for Sláine, Nemesis, the history of Dredd's world. the ABC Warriors and, of course, the existence of 2000ad, but his ranting does rather get on my wick sometimes. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

Mills confirms he's done writing new stories for 2000 AD but leaves some wiggle room with "just finishing existing ones" in a bizarre Twitter thread that's a whisker away from accusing The Boys of plagiarism: https://twitter.com/patmillscomics/status/1299450861853302798?s=21

maryanddavid

I only read the first few issues of The Boys, didn't like it much so never went any further. Is it similar to Marshal Law?

The Monarch

pat mills wrote a lot of stuff i love but he seems to be going the alan moore route and i am not a fan of that

Greg M.

Quote from: The Monarch on 28 August, 2020, 10:24:11 PM
pat mills wrote a lot of stuff i love but he seems to be going the alan moore route and i am not a fan of that
What, the path of strong principles and admirable personal integrity? Yeah, god forbid.

Dandontdare

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 August, 2020, 10:11:41 PM
Mills confirms he's done writing new stories for 2000 AD but leaves some wiggle room with "just finishing existing ones" in a bizarre Twitter thread that's a whisker away from accusing The Boys of plagiarism: https://twitter.com/patmillscomics/status/1299450861853302798?s=21

Wow. So many questionable assertions in so few characters - guess that sums up both Twitter and Pat.

I'm glad I don't do Twitter, because Pat is someone I would follow, and a constant drip-feed of tosh like that would likely have eventually finished off my remaining respect for him.

The one that irked me most? "partly because policing Rebellion and my 2000ad stories takes up so much time".

broodblik

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 August, 2020, 10:44:06 PM
The one that irked me most? "partly because policing Rebellion and my 2000ad stories takes up so much time".

"How to make friends and influence people"
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

If you read his Facebook postings, then he states that he will continue with the current open stories in AD but most likely too close them up. He will not produce new series for AD he will focus on Spacewarp rather. 

I do not mind self-believe and confidence but there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. I loathe arrogance and this is when I stop supporting the person/cause/work.

When is the last time that we have seen anything that is original and unique from Pat? For me even Spacewarp felt like a rehash but weaker version of his work in AD.  Maybe it is time to see what some else can do with certain properties or just put it in limbo (I have been waiting for almost 36 years for the conclusion of Halo Jones, so what is a few more years ?)

Funt Solo

Quotes from "Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!" (Mills, 2017):

- "Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth, Kelvin Gosnell ... gave me the plot, based on the film Damnation Alley"
- "Harlem Heroes ... our own version of Rollerball"
- "we had Mach One looking like the Six Million Dollar Man and the computer ... 'inspired' by ... a Marvel comic"
- "cool hardware in Flesh was similarly 'inspired' by vehicles in a Marvel comic"
- "Fleshdozers ... were based on the cover of ... War with the Robots"
- "Angus McKie ... produced a ... sf cover that inspired my character Charlie"
- "I was given copyright on ... Yesterday's Hero, a Defiant Ones story ... and The Terra Meks, based on High Noon"

---

- "I don't take kindly to anyone copying my own stories"

---

Quote from Twitter (Mills, 2020): "rip off rip off rip off"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

A lot of us suffer under a condition called "Do as I say, not as I do"

13school

Quote from: maryanddavid on 28 August, 2020, 10:13:44 PM
I only read the first few issues of The Boys, didn't like it much so never went any further. Is it similar to Marshal Law?

A fair few critics at the time pointed out the similarities in the basic concept - in a world where superheroes are lauded but are secretly crap, one hero (well, a group in The Boys) dares to take out the trash (and also the Superman analogue is ultra-patriotic and the worst of them all because America is rotten to the core) - but they're very different in execution.

But if you're focusing solely on the high concept, sell it to Hollywood angle, then they're probably close enough that having one adapted for film or television rules out the other.