Main Menu

Toxic

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 09 January, 2019, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyNailz

I still have the first 10 or so issues of TOXIC!  There are some great stories in there (Accident Man, Bogie Man, Marshall Law) and some not so great ones (I really couldn't get behind "The Driver").

It's a real shame the experiment didn't work out.  I'd happily buy another few weekly or monthly British comic anthologies alongside my Prog and Meg.

Bolt-01

Jimmy- if you are looking for extra anthologies suited to 2000 AD, you need look no further than FQP.

https://www.futurequake.co.uk/

Shameless pimping I know, but so many of the latest crop of prog regulars cut their circuits working for me.

Funt Solo

Wasn't Professor Grabblefax a character in FutureQuake?  I liked him so much I use him in my math questions quite a lot.  For example:

Professor Grabblefax has a collection of mutagens, which he has labelled Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta & Epsilon.  If the professor picks one mutagen at random, then changes his mind, replaces it and picks another: what is the probability that he chose the same mutagen both times?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trout

Zero. He replaced it and chose another.

Funt Solo

Nice try, yer majesty, but no banana.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Lobo Baggins

No, Trout is correct - it's zero. Interacting with the mutagen changed the mutagen's status thus making it impossible to pick the same one twice.

Or it's 50/50 - he'll either pick the same one again or he won't.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Funt Solo

On topic: Toxic.  Had it's ups and downs.

---

It takes me while to think things through, but it's slowly dawning on me that the His Royal Fishiness may have a point.  Let me reword the problem in an attempt to remove ambiguity:

Professor Grabblefax has a collection of mutagens, which he has labelled Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta & Epsilon.  If the professor picks one mutagen at random, then changes his mind, replaces it and picks another again: what is the probability that he chose the same mutagen both times?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Bolt-01

Grabblefax- maybe I'm wrong but the closest I remember to that is Brabblepap from Omnivistascope... of course I could be wrong.

Funt Solo

That's the fella!  Omnivistascope, it was.  My brain did a backflip and converted *Brabblepap* to Grabblefax somehow.

I got my fanzines muddled.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Pyroxian

Quote from: Funt Solo on 25 January, 2019, 03:34:48 PM
Professor Grabblefax has a collection of mutagens, which he has labelled Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta & Epsilon.  If the professor picks one mutagen at random, then changes his mind, replaces it and picks another again: what is the probability that he chose the same mutagen both times?

1 in 5, or 20%.
As far as I understand it, it's the equivalent of rolling a 5 sided dice and getting the same number twice.

M.I.K.

Need more info. Is he looking at the labels after he picks them? Are the individual containers of mutagen labelled or is it one big label on the entire collection? How many individual containers are there? Are Delta and Episilon on the same label / in the same container? Has some of the mutagen leaked out causing his hands to immediately mutate into cactussy things like that bloke out of The Quatermass Experiment, thus making it near impossible to pick any subsequent items?

Fungus

So many variables, it's an exercise in pedantry...  :)

So there are 5 labels. Maybe it's one mutagen and a set of misleading labels. All bets are off.

If you returned a mutagen and placed it on the left-end, you wouldn't pick that obviously-the-same-one back up if you changed your mind. Unless you're nuts. Maybe you're nuts.

So: what's up with this question anyway? Do tell.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: M.I.K. on 25 January, 2019, 04:06:37 PM

Need more info. Is he looking at the labels after he picks them? Are the individual containers of mutagen labelled or is it one big label on the entire collection? How many individual containers are there? Are Delta and Episilon on the same label / in the same container? Has some of the mutagen leaked out causing his hands to immediately mutate into cactussy things like that bloke out of The Quatermass Experiment, thus making it near impossible to pick any subsequent items?

Of course, only some sort of boring Sensible Scientist wouldn't include the dreaded Omega Mutagen in the selection. Any proper Comics Based Scientist would automatically pick that one and say it was a random choice, no matter what the options.

Or Pi, of course. No one's going to turn down Pi...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Funt Solo

MIK, Lobo & Fungus get points for artistic creativity, His Royal Trout gets point for grammar.

Pyroxian gets points for mathematical correctness.

It's 5/5 * 1/5 = 1/5 = 20%

Designer Notes:

Professor Grabblefax is insane, yes.  This neatly explains his random, haphazard selection of mutagens, his omission of the dreaded Omega Mutagen (and Pi, which he turned down), and his rather odd single-labeling system which (as rightly pointed out) is simply a bizarre, wrong-headed way to label a mutagen collection.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trout

Grammar is more important than mathematical correctness. We should have a riddles thread so I can annoy people there, too.  :D