Main Menu

Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd

Started by wrly_bird, 04 December, 2007, 11:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Nah, I saw the actual stage show years ago and really enjoyed it, so I'm sure I won't really have a problem with the film. I've seen/read various versions of the story over the years and liked them all, but the original will always be the best.
@jamesfeistdraws

the shutdown man

Very much liked this, in spite of my initial misgivings about the music. Some of it is what I regard as the cheesy Broadway stuff, and thus not my cup of tea, but I did love the song discussing possible types of pie....

And man, Tim Burton loves him some blood. Really really loves that stuff.

You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Adrian Bamforth

I have to say I've never seen a Johnny Depp performance where I've felt any soul in his performance (except maybe Edward Sissorhands, though it's years since I last saw that). I appreciate his skills as a comic performer and versitile character guy, though for a movie lead you expect something more, and a musical even more to as musical songs are always about true feelings, not just what's on the surface. In both Jack Sparrow and Willy Wonka he hid behind imitations (compare this to Gene Wilder's extraordinary interpretation of the latter role). From what I see of this he now sounds like Bowie/Anthony Newley.

Add to this the fact that, from what I can tell, Sweeny Todd is a story about vengence, which i personally tend to find a weak motivation in a plot and hardly a means to warm to or identify with a character.

I'd like to be able to enjoy the film as I like the idea of Tim Burton's films...can anyone who's seen the film reassure me on any of these points or am I just going to hate it?

I, Cosh

I have to say I've never seen a Johnny Depp performance where I've felt any soul in his performance

Watch Dead Man.

I'd like to be able to enjoy the film as I like the idea of Tim Burton's films

I, too, always like the idea of Tim Burton's films but, after so many disappointments, I have finally learned not to bother going to see them.
We never really die.

GeorgeBernardShaw

I would like to see this principally because Nightmare Before Christmas was so good; so full of zest that I overlooked the relentlessly 'cute' horror characters.  
  Dead Man, whilst far too full of self-assurance for its own good, certainly was replete with 'soul'. Usually, I find the quality of soul overrated and would prefer a film to have 'mind', but Dead Man had that too

Buttonman

I like a bit of Burton/Depp, especially Sleepy Hollow. I didn't like Sweeney at all though apart form the sets and costumes. The songs and singing were poor, especially Rickman & Spall who just seemed to read dialogue to a higher pitch to a crashing score.

I didn't care for Depp's character and Helena was a poor imitation of Mrs Miggins out of Blackadder. The teen romance sub plot was ghastly and the killings repetitive and dull apart from Helena getting chucked in the oven. Borat's character, who had promise, was only in two scenes and I found the whole thing really boring.

On the same double feature I saw 'Walk Hard : The Dewey Cox Story' and that had better, funnier songs and a whole lot more heart. Sweeney by comparison was a bunch of luvvies raiding the dressing up box and singing a load of songs, not one of which I could hum 5 minutes after I left.

Keef Monkey

I loved it myself, and I can't stand musicals and only have a passing interest in Tim Burton. Through Depp was great in it and Helena Bonham Carter looked absolutely stunning. Looking forward to seeing it again sometime.

Rob Spalding

I was disappointed.
The first hour was 20 minutes too long and by the time it was starting to pick up, I was into watch checking mode.
Some of the songs outstay their welcome by quite a while.
And the whole subplot about the sailor and Sweeney's daughter I found irritating and distracting - wouldn't have missed it.