Main Menu

Does that work in real life?

Started by Proudhuff, 19 December, 2017, 11:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

ooookay, there is a load of these and somewhere on the Tinernet it will be addressed, but I thought this is the place for this.

In movies there is stuff that happens that in real life I suspect would get you hurt, or looking like a twat.

The classic is jumping from something and grabbing on with your finger tips... really! I bet some poor bastard has believe that and came a cropper.

But there are things that I do wonder, would that work?

First off: shooting a lock?
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

I'm sorry but I can't watch that kind of TV... so many annoying people in one room!

WTF is that stupid hat and beard combo about, what is he trying to distract from hmm?
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

I must apologise to whichever forum member explained this, and whose name I've forgotten, but the whole "running towards a large area of glass whilst emptying a firearm" will not dramatically shatter the glass, due the layers of plastic laminate.

Instead, you'll create a lovely pattern of spiderweb shattering and, when you hit the glass, the laminate will flex and then flex back, cutting your skin to ribbons.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Using a credit card between the doorframe to open a door-lock

Proudhuff

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 December, 2017, 11:40:19 AM
I must apologise to whichever forum member explained this, and whose name I've forgotten, but the whole "running towards a large area of glass whilst emptying a firearm" will not dramatically shatter the glass, due the layers of plastic laminate.

Instead, you'll create a lovely pattern of spiderweb shattering and, when you hit the glass, the laminate will flex and then flex back, cutting your skin to ribbons.

There goes my party piece!
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 December, 2017, 11:43:54 AM

Using a credit card between the doorframe to open a door-lock

hey I use that all the time to get into a friends stairwell, works on a simple lock but importantly, there's no door jamb.
DDT did a job on me

JamesC

Is this just for things that happen in films or can we ask about stuff that friends tell us down the pub?

Like the thing with half a tennis ball that opens car doors? Apparently you could use half a tennis ball on older car doors, place it over the lock, give it a good whack and the air pressure would open the lock.

I was also told that on older ATMs, they would only count the money going out, not the money being sucked back in if the customer forgot to collect it. So if you ordered £60, you could split the top and bottom note and take the middle note out - as long as you didn't move the little wheels that move the money back and forth it would then take the top and bottom notes back into the machine without knowing the middle not had been removed. This way you could get yourself a free (illegal) £20. I've always wanted to try it but never have. Sounds too good to be true.

Fungus

Pyroxian

Quote from: Proudhuff on 19 December, 2017, 11:35:15 AM
I'm sorry but I can't watch that kind of TV... so many annoying people in one room!

WTF is that stupid hat and beard combo about, what is he trying to distract from hmm?

:( I love Mythbusters...

Anyways - they managed to do it with a Shotgun and an M1 Garand, but handguns didn't work.

Dandontdare

igniting a puddle of petrol with a tossed cigarette is the one that bugs me. Wouldn't recommend it as it may occasionally work, but most of the time - nah

Daveycandlish

Quote from: JamesC on 19 December, 2017, 12:26:06 PM
Is this just for things that happen in films or can we ask about stuff that friends tell us down the pub?

I was also told that on older ATMs, they would only count the money going out, not the money being sucked back in if the customer forgot to collect it. So if you ordered £60, you could split the top and bottom note and take the middle note out - as long as you didn't move the little wheels that move the money back and forth it would then take the top and bottom notes back into the machine without knowing the middle not had been removed. This way you could get yourself a free (illegal) £20. I've always wanted to try it but never have. Sounds too good to be true.

Don't ask how I know but yeah, that used to be possible.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Pyroxian on 19 December, 2017, 12:29:37 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 19 December, 2017, 11:35:15 AM

:( I love Mythbusters...

Anyways - they managed to do it with a Shotgun and an M1 Garand, but handguns didn't work.

Good to know!

They do loads of stuff I'd be interested in judging by the titles of the youtube clips, I just CBA with the fast cut/constant review update style... bring back HOW?  :lol:
DDT did a job on me

Theblazeuk

That was a must-watch for me, but it'd be forever king of TV if they'd had firearms and explosives on HOW

Eric Plumrose

Back in the day (early '90s), an old five pence superglued to a penny could trick a train station ticket machine you'd entered a quid.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.