Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Not so much 'watched' as 'watching'. Excalibur. It's just started on ITV3. I've seen it a couple of times before. It was a good while ago though.

mygrimmbrother

Helen Mirren's well slutty as Morgana.

Mardroid

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 08 April, 2011, 01:36:00 AM
Helen Mirren's well slutty as Morgana.

Isn't she just! [spoiler]Her own brother, no less![/spoiler]

I enjoyed that, although some parts feel a little clunky at times. (I don't intend that as a big criticism. It does lend to the charm somewhat. Not meaning that to be patronising.)

I love the depiction of Merlin. Remains the best Arthurian Legend film adaptation there is, I reckon. Possible exception being Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but that's a different kind of film altogether.

Michaelvk

But that's a different kind of film..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Noisybast

But that's a different kind of film!
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

The Adventurer

Watched: Evangelion 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance (Blu-ray)

Got my Blu-ray copy (via Amazon) watched it, and... welp. That happened.

I've pretty much gone into Rebuild of Evangelion cold, the few episodes of NGE that I watched left me cold. I thought the characters were annoying, the premises boorish (oh boy, ANOTHER anime about 15 year olds intrusted with super robots), and the symbolism over done. Also the complete collection boxsets have always cost a small fortune, so I've never felt the need to spring for the DVDs.

I picked up Rebuild 1.11 on Blu-ray because I'm a HD animation junky, also... might as well see what all the fuss was about, since I never gave original much of a chance. Surprisingly I liked 1.11. A lot actually. A lot of my problems with the the series seemed to have been addressed. Characters and reasonings seem a tad more believable this go around. However in watching the first movie, with the 3 Angel attacks, it really felt like three episodes of a TV show glued together, with some character stuff slipping through the cracks (mostly concerning Shinji's school friends, which is actually fine, since 'High School Drama' is one of my larger annoyances with 'Teen's with super robots' anime). But overall it flowed well.

Now we have 2.22. And... well... things seem a little more, I don't know.. rushed? Slapped together? The movie's got so much going on it never seems to find time to breath. New characters are showing up left and right, and never given time to develop very much. There never seems to be a sense of time between Angel attacks. And then the ending sort of goes bananas.

BUT. And this a big but. I'm still intrigued by what's going on. To the point I'm sort of pissed that Rebuild 3.03 hasn't even premiered yet in Japan. So... that's a long ass way off to see what happens next.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Keef Monkey

Someone loaned me an Evangelion movie once (think it was called Death And Rebirth). It looked nice and was quite disturbing in places, but I couldn't work out what was going on at all.

Tombo

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 08 April, 2011, 10:46:44 AM
Someone loaned me an Evangelion movie once (think it was called Death And Rebirth). It looked nice and was quite disturbing in places, but I couldn't work out what was going on at all.

That's because you'd missed out 22 episodes and another movie (or two, can't remember).  The two new Rebuild Movies (with a third on its way) start off following the same basic story as the original show but from 2.2 onwards its a totally new show.

Professor Bear

Watching the series might not have helped much given Gainax's penny-pinching and the most significant events having a tendency to happen offscreen.  When you're talking about stuff like where the embryonic angel is being hidden you can probably get away with that, but the deaths of several main characters and the extinction/forced evolution of the entire human race happening offscreen is arguably another matter entirely.

It is a good show, but highly overrated.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 08 April, 2011, 10:46:44 AM

As Tombo said, Death & Rebirth is the conclusion movie of the TV series, so you might have missed out on a few... details.

Rebuild of Evangelion is a retelling of the TV series in four feature length films, only 2 have come out so far Evangelion 1.11 You are (Not) Alone & Evangelion 2.22 You can (Not) Advance. While the movies follow the TV series, they soon start to deviate from the original so they start to become their own thing.  If you're at all interested in EVA, I recommend checking out Eva 1.11 and 2.22.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Keef Monkey

Thanks, I might actually do that. I liked what I saw, just couldn't comprehend it! Not sure why someone would loan me that as a starting point actually...

Keef Monkey

Doublepost, but watched The Good The Bad The Weird last night and absolutely loved it. Rented it on the strength of Tale of Two Sisters and I Saw The Devil, and I would now consider Jee-woon Kim one of my favorite writer/directors. This was so different to those movies but still pulled off with the kind of flair and energy you know Hollywood wishes it could muster. Really funny, action-packed stuff.

Tiplodocus

THE EAGLE - Solid if unspectacular with a charisma void at the centre. Good roman stuff, nice scenery but goodness me it's violent for a 12a.

HUBBLE 3D at IMAX - It's a while since I've seen a space shuttle take off on telly let alone on a cinema screen let alone on an IMAX screen let alone in 3D so consider me gobsmacked. The 8 to 11 year olds I was with also thought it was awesome.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 09 April, 2011, 11:29:12 AM
THE EAGLE - Solid if unspectacular with a charisma void at the centre. Good roman stuff, nice scenery but goodness me it's violent for a 12a.

Tookey was right!!!

Tiplodocus

There's a pretty full on decapitation (you even see a spurt of blood) and the effects of blades on chariot wheels on legs is also shown.  Tiny Tips (now 11 so I'll have to stop referring to him as Tiny) didn't have a problem with it as the context was fine. 

(As compared to say the gleeful punching through of a chest and driving a car with you hand through the abdomen in the 12a Terminator 3).

Anyway, I remember Eagle of the Ninth being one of my favourite books back when I was 11 (even though I can't remember any of the detail of it) so it was nice to move it along a generation.

Oh and finally saw the last two episodes of OUTCASTS as well. They made the last episode exciting in a way that only the whiteout episode had managed.  It was just too slow.  And Liam Cunningham has the appearance of gravitas (that voice, that worn face) but not the actual charisma to go with it; which means again, there was a void at the heart of the show.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!