Main Menu

Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 22 October, 2016, 12:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: SIP on 15 June, 2018, 08:47:22 PM
Figures I heard this week say last jedi only sold just over half of the blu rays that force awakens sold.......though I would like to see more official sales figures. On top of the large drop off rate for last jedi, it's 700 million less in box office than force awakens, and then solo reportedly losing 80 million.....you have to wonder what they will pour into star wars over the next 18 months.

Red Letter Media are on the case: https://youtu.be/XQmKabdArUg

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 15 June, 2018, 08:47:22 PM
Figures I heard this week say last jedi only sold just over half of the blu rays that force awakens sold.......though I would like to see more official sales figures. On top of the large drop off rate for last jedi, it's 700 million less in box office than force awakens, and then solo reportedly losing 80 million.....you have to wonder what they will pour into star wars over the next 18 months. If it was my business, I'd be feeling jittery. The trend is down at the moment.

Looking at the bigger picture, no matter how well the sequels are received in a Star Wars trilogy, the initial film always seems to come first in earnings. The Last Jedi is in-line with the Star Wars penultimate sequel pattern.

The Empire Strikes Back earned 30% less than Star Wars.

Attack of the Clones earned 30% less than The Phantom Menace.

The Last Jedi earned 30% less than The Force Awakens.

So far the third instalments Return...and Revenge.. have made a bit more than their second sequel counterparts.

https://www.the-numbers.com/search?searchterm=star+wars

How Rogue One and Solo fit into this picture is more difficult to judge since there's an array of factors at play in the fortunes of each.

TordelBack

Good man, Joe - that fact-based analysis fits well with my own gut feeling. I remember well the realistation that AotC's box office had slumped badly from TPM's insane heights: although unlike TLJ, it largely deserved it.  And did it hurt the numbers for RotS?  Not really. 

What's different about the TLJ situation is the perception foisted on us by loud and relentless internet criticism that it 'killed Star Wars', and that the Arch Bitch Kennedy's foregrounding of Ethnics, Wimmin and (worse) Ethinc Wimmin is part of a political war on the true (white, straight, wanker) fans.   I know, I know, plenty of ye are as woke-liberal-cuck as the next man, and didn't like it for other legitimate and defensible reasons, but your voices are drowned out by the post-GamerGate narrative that uses you as buoyancy for their vile brand of entitlement. 

Add that to the fact that a Solo origin story seemed like a terrible idea for a film (it wasn't, mea maxima culpa), and that it arrived just months after the last SW film and mere weeks after the last big nerd event movie, and it lacked both in-built goodwill and the savour of anticipation.  It's sort of a miracle it hasn't done worse.

I've felt that the return to a Memorial Day Weekend opening was Disney's way of dumping/burying this movie, taking it out of the established pattern and firmly into Infinity War's shadow, so I doubt the box-office is going to come as any kind of surprise.

Magnetica

I guess it says a lot that so many people spend so long discussing a film / film series they don't like or no longer like or have no intention of seeing.

It just shows that even so called "bad" Star Wars is still important.

MCU has a long way to go before it becomes more important than Star Wars. Indeed for me it never will be.

Just so I am clear, I don't mean anyone on this forum and I don't think any Star Wars film is truly bad. Maybe disappointing compared to others in the series. Nor do I think TLJ or Solo will bring Star Wars to an end. After all TLJ is way better than TPM (IMO) and it survived that.

Going to the cinema and then buying the DVDs are mandatory for me. Can't say that about any other film series.

Colin YNWA

But...

QuoteLast Jedi killed Star Wars 'cos I don't like it!*

*Please note I'm being childish and snarky here, as I've noted many time here I really like Last Jedi.

SIP

I guess we will all find out what the reality is in 18 months.

If I was a gambling man.....I'd bet that episode 9 doesn't perform as well as Last Jedi. That had the more removed viewers at least interested in seeing Luke. I think there will be far less general interest.

TordelBack

Quote from: SIP on 16 June, 2018, 03:48:58 PM
I think there will be far less general interest.

You could well be right, but by extension that suggests that the only reason a lot of people wanted to see new Star Wars movies was to see the old cast wheeled out to perform their old tricks - not even new tricks, as the Leia Poppins backlash implies. 

If Star Wars depended entirely on reprises from Hamill, Ford and Fisher, well that's a sad state of affairs. What I wanted of the old gang in the Sequels was force-ghost Luke at most, and maybe the droids, so given that that's where we (eventually) are, and that I'm fully invested in Rey, Ben and Finn's stories (less so in Poe and Rose, although I like the characters) and I'm in a good place going into IX. 

Countering that, my fears are now twofold, that Disney execs take fright and give us even more rehashed pablum, and that skilled as he is, Abrams has never yet written a satisfying ending to anything. 

Professor Bear

Episode 9 is the last movie in a series that has spanned decades, so it's guaranteed a huge opening and even the hardcore haters will show up for it.  There is almost zero chance of it making a loss and the only question that needs to be answered is "will it perform as well as the movie which preceded it?", which I shall answer in the spirit of The Last Jedi* and say "yeah probably."

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 June, 2018, 04:15:00 PMAbrams has never yet written a satisfying ending to anything.

Abrams said ages ago that Ray and Finn's stories won't be finished in Episode 9, although he does actually lie about the content of his work ahead of time ("He's not playing Khan", "the island is not purgatory", "we'll answer the Rimbaldi question" and "the island does not move" to name but a few classics) so maybe it'll all be wrapped up in a neat little box by the time the credits roll, though I wouldn't bet on it as I don't see branding-obsessed Disney as willing to let that opening scrawl/John Williams theme combo be put beyond their use.

* IE: the least interesting answer possible to any questions you may have.**

** which means it is actually the cleverest and most satisfying answer of all IF YOU ONLY UNDERSTOOD IT LIKE I DO.

JOE SOAP

Unlike Solo, Disney are going to market the unwholesome fuck out of Episode IX – and maybe they'll pull the trick that worked to boost Revenge of the Sith, The Force Awakens and Rogue One: putting Darth Vader in the trailer. If anything we'll be getting the whole End of a Saga montage in some trailers. That alone will be enough to pull the lapsed from every generation back into a cinema.

I don't think it ever expected or the point for this to be the end of the road for the new cast but the end of the Skywalker story,so there'll likely be more from those Master Luke flashbacks – we've had them in each episode so it's part of the Sequel format – along with his always inevitable force-ghosting.

SIP

That is a good trailer trick! Montage clips from the original films.....they did that successfully with the prequel trilogy.  Good shout.

I think they need something nostalgic and stirring in the episode 9 trailer to drown out all the negativity that 'appears' to be floating about on social (and broader) media and youtube. I thought they might go with a Luke twist....but the old footage is probably a better tactic again.

James Stacey

Saw it yesterday (£4 in Cardiff) and thought it was excellent. Bettany stole the show for me but Glover came a close second. Didn't think it was a necessary film before hand but will be in the queue if there's a sequel

radiator

radiator

I honestly don't know why so many people evidently want an Obi Wan Kenobi movie - is it purely because Ewan McGregor is now about the right aged to play him in a movie set around the timeline of Solo? Because that isn't really enough to hang a film on imo...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 20 June, 2018, 08:06:57 PM
I honestly don't know why so many people evidently want an Obi Wan Kenobi movie - is it purely because Ewan McGregor is now about the right aged to play him in a movie set around the timeline of Solo? Because that isn't really enough to hang a film on imo...

Four words: Star Wars Spaghetti Western.

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

But Kenobi is a totally nothing character...?