Main Menu

I am the god of drawing, enjoy

Started by traviswellman, 23 July, 2010, 07:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traviswellman

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 July, 2010, 05:06:20 PM
Quote from: traviswellman on 30 July, 2010, 04:32:33 PM
Please. Keep that advice

It's excellent and constructive advice. You've a gob on you and a bad attitude -- you're pulling the same shite on Millarworld, where you already seem to be noted for it. There are a LOT of professional comic creators on this board, including me.

Now, I may only be a humble letterer, but occasionally I do have conversations with editors. Imagine one where they say "Damn, the artist on this book has just dropped out on me and my go-to guy is on holiday. Any ideas?"

A recommendation to an editor from someone already working in the industry is worth a lot, but do you really think anyone's going to recommend you when you come across as an argumentative gobshite, even if your work was ready for the big time, which it ain't?

Being professional is about more than just the standard of your drawing.

Cheers

Jim

aaaaaaaaaah wait a minute. The millarworld pen thread. I was just kidding. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I'm a joker. Can't help it. I didn't mean to annoy you, I just write absurd stuff. I even said their that I was taking your pen advice, and that I wasn't going to ink with cigarettes because I'm not as good an inker as Simon Bisley. Tools matter to me. I don't want bad ones, get bad tools you only end up blaming them. One person even agreed with me anyway.

The Legendary Shark

My brother's a tool, and I blame him for everything. It's rather convenient, truth be told.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Has there ever been better advice for the young than "chill the fuck out"?  Avoiding land wars in Asia aside, I've yet to hear it. 

mogzilla

not a fan of this looks like a series of doodles with a watercolour wash...now i'm not averse to the manga look but this aint doin' it fer me... would like to see a manga style dredd though hows about a shimura or ohnny woo crossoer and get a proper manga arist on duties? hell why not go the hog and have a manga special meg ?
   just dont give "god" a go.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: traviswellman on 29 July, 2010, 01:58:45 PM
pffffft, try and stop me.

No one is going to stop you as you are going to do what you like and what you enjoy regardless of anything else or any advice you are given which is fair enough as you can do what you like but your juvenile cocky self-aggrandising attitude isnt funny or clever.

Quote from: traviswellman on 30 July, 2010, 03:16:48 PM
An artist that doesn't have any originality is about as useful as a car with no wheels.

I would say yes and no to that comment as it depends what kind of art you are talking about but its all too easy to overstate the importance of originality to the extent that its overcompensating for a lack of general competence but sometimes it does work and its worked well enough in music as there are plenty of examples but ultimately its up to you how good you want to be as an artist as shying away from life drawing because figures dont always match up to the Greek ideal which is fallacious anyway is just a copout because a competent artist who is able draw figures isnt restricted in that way because they know how it all works.
Quote from: traviswellman on 30 July, 2010, 02:46:02 PM

Now that seond piece i actually really like and its the closest i have seen of your art that is developing into something that actually works and its far better than your colored art.I dont know WTF its meant to be but it flows really well and i think you deserve a certain amount of credit for being original and apparently not caring about what anyone else thinks to the point that you completely reject advice.

If you dont want advice then say so then you wont waste anyone elses time giving it to you.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

JayzusB.Christ

I just had a nap and dreamed about eating a pink doughnut.  Now I'm awake again I really feel like eating one!  Fancy that, eh?  I don't even like doughnuts.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

mogzilla

only the rasberry jam filled one for me!

Darren Stephens

I have 5 ring doughnuts here......4 now.  :lol:
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Richmond Clements

Step one: learn to draw hands. Proper human ones with five fingers.

Trout

I really like it. What's it supposed to be?

</someone's gran>

- Trout

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: King Trout on 30 July, 2010, 07:19:54 PM
I really like it. What's it supposed to be?

</someone's gran>

- Trout

That's nice. Who's that? Maybe someday you'll draw me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Enigmatic Dr X

When it comes to drawing stuff I know nothing. But I know what I likes.

So some folks say: those hands look wonky, or it looks like it's going to topple over, or it's going to topple over. Me, I just don't see it.

My fundamental concern has been voiced by Rich and Emperor as "do more sequential stuff." But I'll go further:

these are very pretty, and I think pretty good, but what is the point of them?

This is a website for a comic (I originally wrote comic website, but that's a whole other story). Where are the comics? Where are the stories? The problem I have has nothing to do with style, or anatomy, or anything arty-farty. It's more mundane stuff about what makes up a comic:-

1 - These are terribly and overly complicated designs. Why?
2 - Could these be sustained in a comic strip without the page getting messy and confused?
3 - Can you actually tell a story in pictures?
4 - Would you be happy working with a writer? Sometimes the guys that write the stories have their own ideas about what should be on the page. Given the obvious love and attention lavished on the samples here, would you be happy to bow to someone else's view? What if it was needed for the story?
5 - Can you draw mundane stuff? I mean that quite, quite seriously. Show us a page where a man and woman having a coffee have an argument, then make up. Show the emotion on their faces. The anger, the resentment, the love. Because not all comics are boom-boom bang and robots. There's the odd quiet bit (those writers, they have these fancy ideas about "character" and "plot development" and they need a bone thrown at them every now and then with the odd talky bit (see 4 above)).

Normally, I shy away from any kind of comment on anyone's art. As I say, I only know what I like.

For me, these are good pictures. But they ain't right for comics.

I'd add, that if you don't see what I am getting at, then I worry you don't understand what goes into a comic. And you need to know that to even begin making them. THEN you need to be able to draw fingers.
Lock up your spoons!

Dunk!

Why is it copying?

Easy.

'Cos you're not offering any images, just weird random collages of other peoples stuff. They make no sense, and have no weight. Chaotic messes of different images with no purpose. In one you have a complete body at the centre (minus the head which is hard to grasp) with quite good anatomy, in another you couldn't grasp anatomy if you'd been promised the family dog would lick your balls if you managed it.

Draw a woman crying.

Draw a child laughing.

Draw something 2000ad related FFS.

There's a really obvious reason that you're roundly ignored on Deviant Art.

Take advantage of the dozen or so artists on this forum who i'd happily sit at the feet of and learn what it is to draw comics from. Why don't you listen too?

And for those who hold to the opinion this is the "friendlist place on the web": sorry, not in this case.

Dunk!

PS: Cheers, RAC.
"Trust we"

Peter Wolf

"This image has been moved or deleted - Photobucket"

It must have been something i said  :D
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

nev

I find this thread amusing. Also Travis, as has been already said, you seem like a bit of a twat. Welcome to the board.