Main Menu

First single or album bought

Started by 8-Ball, 27 April, 2014, 03:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8-Ball

Nothing to be ashamed about here. It always fascinated me, back when I was a student in the late nineties, that the people who proclaimed that they had always been into (insert moderately obscure indie band here) after one or two snakebites let slip that they owned records by Jive Bunny or Belinda Carlisle.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

JamesC

I used to get a lift to work with a guy who had 3 tapes to play in his car (and he was always playing one of them). They were the Miami Vice soundtrack, a tape with about 20 versions of Axel F on it and the Jive Bunny album.
My favourite was the Axel F one.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: JamesC on 27 April, 2014, 06:40:22 PM
First single I bought was either Ghostbusters, The Frog Chorus (Paul McCartney and Rupert) or Band Aid.

My party trick used to be doing Paul McCartney's Frog Chorus in burps. Unfortunately time has not been kind to my oesophageal sphincter, and every time I try to do it these days I just end up with a mouthful of sick.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Fungus on 27 April, 2014, 05:17:08 PM

It's OK.
I had thought this was mine too, as my mate from primary school often mentions it being the first song he remembers dancing  to. At my house. However, I've just been looking at some chart lists and I think it may have been second after Eye of the Tiger.

First album, bought with Christmas money, was ABBA: The Singles: the first ten years.

I still have all three records.
We never really die.

amines2058

The 1st single I can recall purchasing was 'The Bucket Of Water Song' by the TISWAS team. The 1st Album I remember buying was Guns And Roses - Appetite for Destruction (Still a classic in my eyes / ears!)

Link Prime

To my ever lovin', baggy-panted shame, the answer to both is 'You Cant Touch This' & 'Please Hammer, Don't hurt 'em' (on good old cassette tape).

As a fan of 2000AD you know I must have some good taste!

Jim_Campbell

First single bought for me was The Animals' House of the Rising Sun on its 1982 re-release. First single I bought myself was (slightly bafflingly) Men Without Hats' Safety Dance, although I immediately discovered that the B-side was much better.

The following year, I bought my first album — The Works by Queen.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SmallBlueThing

First single I can remember owning was 'Mississippi' by Pussycat- but I can't remember if I bought with pocket money, or it was bought for me. I definately remember buying 'I'm Still Standing', by Elton John, in 1983 and being acutely embarrassed in having to go up to the counter to pay for it.

First album was 'Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of War of the Worlds' (abridged version).

SBT

Spaceghost

First single I bought for myself was the bleeding cool 'Hi Fidelity' by The Kids From Fame. The first album, which I saved up pocket to buy, was 'Prince Charming' by Adam and the Ants.

I wouldn't ever make up a 'cooler' first purchase because, you know, not a tit.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

amines2058

Forgot to mention that my second single ever owned, that I believe I still possess, was the free one that came with the 1st issue of Oink comic.
If memory serves me right it was pink and floppy (oooerr!!)

Professor Bear

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles soundtrack, as I couldn't believe it was real and I'll be honest here - I'm still not sure.  I've seen the film and these songs are on it, and I had a physical copy of the album, but it all might still be some elaborate Borat-style lark: exhibit A - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81-CtojeMrA
I think I was erring towards believing it was a real album right until I saw the sequel movie had an album with a Vanilla Ice track on it, and since then I'm fucked if I can tell either way.

judda fett

First single I bought wirh pocket money was The Show by Doug E Fresh and The Get fresh crew on 7". The first LP with my own money was Salt N Pepper's 'A Salt With A Deadly Pepper' on tape. Strangely remember the first 'casingle' I ever bought being Mantronix and Ruthjoy 'Don't Push It'.

Frank

As far as first albums are concerned, my parents bought me a cassette player for Christmas along with ABBA's Greatest Hits (they'd definitely already split up by that point); Parallel Lines by Blondie, which had so many great songs on it I thought that it was a greatest hits collection as well; and a Status Quo compilation that had lots of their greatest hits missing but had some of their early stuff, which just confused me. I couldn't get my head round the same band being the Paisley-shirted mods who made Pictures Of Matchstick Men and the hairy nonsense of Down, Down. Then I saw This Is Spinal Tap.

First album I bought for myself once I was working and could afford comics and music was PJ Harvey's Dry, but that was after years of cheekily taping stuff my mosher and B-boy pals loaned me.

Old Tankie

Mott The Hoople, "All the young Dudes" written by Bowie, 1972

Albion

First single was either the Smurf Song by Father Abraham and The Smurfs (B-side was The Magic Flute Smurf), or Captain Beaky And His Band (B-side was two tracks, Wilfred the Weasel and Blanch), when I was 7.

First album was Dr. Heckle and Mr Jive by Pigbag when I was 12. Even then I liked weird music!
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.