Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 28 August, 2009, 04:02:12 PM
Just read #3 of Morrison and Quietly's Batman and Robin.

By god it's good comics.

Ace letterer and all-round top bloke, Todd Klein agrees with us.

Which should annoy the crap out of John Byrne, if nothing else!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

WadesWiddleYellowBoxes

Jumping between Judgement on Gotham, Sandman's Dolls House and What You Make It by Michael Marshall Smith (Superb...)

Odd_Bloke

In my current campaign to finish reading books I'm in the middle of, I'm reading the following (in order of start date):

Key Thinkers in Christianity, edited by Adrian Hastings (started 2009-04-19)
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (started 2009-07-18)
Koppett's Concise History of Major League Baseball by Leonard Koppett (started 2009-07-18)
Collected Short Stories by Patrick O'Brian (started 2009-07-22)
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (started 2009-07-27)

To incentivise myself, I'm not allowing myself to read any TPBs/GNs until these are all completed (which could take a while with The Count of Monte Cristo).  However, I haven't excluded reading actual comics from this, which might be a mistake...

Nap Normal

I've a few books on the go at the moment. Bernard Cornwells  Azincourt and Christopher Fowlers Bryant and May series about two detectives who's offices are above Mornington Crescent tube station.Both authors I can highly recommend.
Falling in love makes you fat.

Paul faplad Finch

As part of my resolve to use my enforced free time constructively and start properly pursuing that writing lark I've been wittering on about for years ,I've been reading The Writers Tale. Fascinating read and a very full on warts and all account of a writers life. I've finished now though and a trip to my local bookshop - which a friend told me had an excellent section on such things - revealed that they had precisely one relevant title.  The Writers Tale.

So I picked up "If Chins Could Kill" instead.

Other than that I'm reading Mark Billinghams latest, a Torchwood book(Twilight Streets) Essenttial fantastic 4 vol.1 and some Delano era Hellblazer. So a decent selection.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

WadesWiddleYellowBoxes

Quote from: faplad on 08 September, 2009, 12:21:03 AM

So I picked up "If Chins Could Kill" instead.

Fantastic read. Campbell is a hoot. I'd love to read a follow up (Make Love...don't count) which delves into his back to backs in Bulgaria and experience on Bubba Ho-Tep.

Satanist

To Kill a Mockingbird - Cos the wife just finished it and I feel I really should read it. So far so good.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Mike Gloady

"If Chins Could Kill" is flat out amazing, he's a character and it's all very good. 

I challenge anyone not to enjoy "To Kill A Mockingbird" - it's really gently done and a good tale, well told. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Tiplodocus

Looks like I'll be reading issues 1 to 26 of THE INVISIBLES as Cosh has rather kindly just posted them to me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

Just finished the latest batch of graphic novels I got from the public library at the weekend:

Top 10 book 1 - This was a very welcome re-read of an old favourite by Alan Moore, inspired by Top 10: The 49ers (the prequel) which I took out a few weeks ago.

The Astounding Wolfman by Robert (Walking Dead) Kirkman & Jason Howard - brilliantly bonkers werewolf/superhero mash up. Recommended.

Tales of the Batman: Tim Sale - a collection of the artist's early stuff (mainly 90s). Some are okay, but oh boy, there were some bad Batman stories being told last decade. The worst, sadly and surprisingly, by Alan Grant. I can't begin to list the things I hated about "Madmen across the Water".

Fantastic Four: True Story by Paul Cornell & Horacio Domingues - Oh dear oh dear. Now I've always loved the FF, from the days when I'd pester my big brother to "show me rock-man" in his comics, and it's hard to write a FF story that I won't enjoy on some level, but this laboured voyage into the "realm of literature" was bloody awful. Imagine distilling all of Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore's worst reference-dropping tendencies, (but removing the ability to actually write convincing scripts) and then filtering the results through the brain of a 15 year old art student, whose girlfriend has added some pictures ('cos she's, like, really talented, yah?) and you'll have some feeling for this.

Dog Deever

Just finished rereading Just A Pilgrim (Ennis / Ezquerra), both books- for the umpteenth time.
It really is good stuff.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Roger Godpleton

Started "The Kraken Awakes" by Juan Wind Ham.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Paul faplad Finch

Finished If Chins... today. A very fast read but not in a bad way. I just couldn't put it down. Everyone on here who praised it were spot on. 

Trouble with fats reads is you need to replace them fast and so yet another trip out beckoned. This one netted me "My Boring Ass Life" by Kevin Smith. I've yet to be disapointed by one of his movies so I'm hoping his "voice" will come through in the book.

Can I ask a question about To Kill A Mockingbird?

Read this at school and got really peeved at my teacher about it. During the trial the girls says something like [spoiler]"I've never kissed a boy, what Daddy does doesn't count."[/spoiler] I read this, and I wasn't alone, as a reference [spoiler]to sexual abuse[/spoiler] but my teacher flat out refused to accept it as a theory and openly mocked anyone who thougt it. He went on to tell us that if we mentioned this theory in any coursework on the book it would harm our grade.

Whose read this book? Did anyone else think this? I just remember being totally pissed off by the whole stuation. I tell you, I love dreading before Eng. Lit. GCSE but those two years pretty much sucked the joy out of it for me. I didn't read for pleasure for years afterwards which I would imagine is not the desired effect.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

TordelBack

Just finished Denise Mina's run on Hellblazer.  (Un)holy crap, that was poor.  The oh-so clever punchline to a year's worth of incoherent drawn-out comics appeared to be [spoiler]"Scottish footie fans support anyone against England".  [/spoiler]Not arguing the point, just wondering about the mindset of who commissioned this?  And to think they booted Eddie Campbell.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 September, 2009, 02:05:33 AM
Just finished Denise Mina's run on Hellblazer.

You're obviously constructed of sterner stuff than Stevie there TordelBack; I dropped Mina's from my standing order after her second issue (cue trademark grumbling from comics retailer who is unable to comprehend anyone following creators not characters).

I generally give new teams 3 issues grace, but not being a big fan of Leonardo Manco's art didn't help things either.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"