Main Menu

Prog 1950 - YOU FEEL LUCKY, PUNKS?

Started by Buttonman, 26 September, 2015, 01:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Lovely crisp card cover and some sexy contents. More to follow...

Darren Stephens

That covers a thing of beauty and no mistake. Enjoyed all the strips this prog, but the highlight was the return of Bad Company. The art team have done a superb job.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Geoff

The cover doesn't just look great, it feels great too!

McNeil & Wagner, Dredd & PJ Maybe - loving it.

I came late to Defoe and whilst I've always liked the art and the period tone, I've found the story a bit flat. Starting with part 1, maybe I'll be able to judge better with this one.

Also came to Brass Sun late and have struggled a bit with it.  My main problem, I think, is that I'm not really that fond of the central character Wren.  Again, I do like the tone of it and the art, although the art can rather eat up the pages.

Bad Company. Great art, lovely opening pages. In fact very impressive throughout - really intrigued to see where this is going.  I'll have to do some back-reading though, last time I read Bad Company Danny Franks was the Krool Heart..

All in all, a very enjoyable prog! 

Dark Jimbo

Corking cover!

As Geoff said, it's Dredd and PJ, Wagner and McNeil - what's to fault?

Defoe has a map! Mapmapmapmap! Love 'em, more of this please. More maps, more cutaways, more star scans. Anyway, it's great to see this thrill back (even if the ending of the last book did hit a few bum notes for me). It'll be intriguing to see how it goes forward given that the 'big bad' is now dead and gone.

Brass Sun lost a lot of my goodwill last time out with that fairly dull (imo) sky-pirate jaunt. Here's hoping it can win me back this time. Have to agree with Geoff though, my biggest impediment to enjoyment has always been Wren herself - she's just not a likeable protagonist. By accident rather than design, the script tends to have her moaning and sniping at her well-meaning comrades (like this week), and the art almost without exception depicts her as scowling and moody. I just can't warm to her - thank god for Septimus, then, who keeps me reading.

Very hard to know what to say about Bad Company just yet. Given that [spoiler]Thrax, Flytrap and Tommy are all dead[/spoiler], and [spoiler]Earth died and was abandoned one year after Ararat exploded and ended the Krool War[/spoiler], something's obviously not quite right here - bad dreams? False reality? Psychological breakdown? The key obviously lies with Danny, and it's certainly going to be interesting finding out what's going on. For now it's more than enough to just to bask in the triumphant return of Milligan and Dayglo to the prog.
@jamesfeistdraws

ZenArcade

Never a big fan of pink/rose covers (personal taste). Won't get this untill Wednesday so a question: 4 strips, which is the double lengther? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: ZenArcade on 26 September, 2015, 08:11:23 PM
Won't get this untill Wednesday so a question: 4 strips, which is the double lengther? Z

Dredd has 6 pages; Defoe 7; Brass Sun 10; Bad Company 8.

So a good spread of bumper episodes rather than a single double-lengther. Defoe includes a map and single-page splash; Brass Sun a double page spread; and both Bad Company and Dredd have 2 single-page splashes apiece! A nice indulgent use of the space this week.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Well this might be an over reaction coursed by the fact I wasn't particularly keen on the Progs leading up to the relaunch, some of the weakest for a long while, but this issue by heck its a corker and then some. Quite brilliant.

I'm with Dark Jimbo on Dredd, Wagner and MacNeil a teasing return for PJ Maybe, what's not to love. Well okay its a fairly functional opener but it beautifully sets a scene and I'm hackering for more, so al good.

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 26 September, 2015, 04:18:30 PM

Defoe has a map! Mapmapmapmap! Love 'em, more of this please. More maps, more cutaways, more star scans. A

This, so very this. I struggle with Defoe, never been a fan at all, never been entirely sure why, just hasn't worked for me. This opener though I thought was great and not just cos of the map. Its a fine turn and a great set up. The only trouble I've had is Defoe has done this to me in the past, tricked me with nice opening, so I remain cynical about where this will go, but couldn't have had a better start.

Brass Sun has never lost my love. I find Wren a freshingly honest and engaging led and so it'll be no surprise that this is a FANTASTIC thrill of the week for me. A quite glorious rip the rug from under you opener that gives you the back story with wonderful craft and then throws you, unwarned into the dilemma.Don't get better than this, quite brillaint.

And as Brass Sun is fantastic so Bad Company is intriguing. So wonderful to have this thrill back and it has a great openning. I suspect the answers we seek are in the dancing light around Danny's eyes, but by heck this sets things up a treat and I can't wait to find out what the answers to all the questions this poses are.

So yeah a near perfect Prog and with Sinister Dexter returning next week (I think) the only downer is the now predictable saddness I feel that the glorious production values of the relaunch Prog, paper quality etc, will be saddly snatched away from us next week. Still if the stories stay this good frankly who cares!

ZenArcade

Always an advocate of differing opinions Colin, I found the last 4 progs hugely enjoyable: Dredd and the Dark Judges tales were topline stuff. Z

Darren Stephens

Quote from: ZenArcade on 26 September, 2015, 08:11:23 PM
Never a big fan of pink/rose covers (personal taste). Won't get this untill Wednesday so a question: 4 strips, which is the double lengther? Z

It's not as pink as that pic would have you believe. More peach.  :lol:
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

ZenArcade

IndigoPrime

All really good this week. Great to see Rufus back, and nice to note the subtle Brett Ewins tribute.

oshii

Glossy cover!  Do like a glossy cover if only for the fact it stops the postie mangling my prog when putting it through the letter box.

Top marks for all thrills from me.  Really enjoyed the extra space given to each thrill as well.  Made the whole thing seem more meaty with out losing any sense of variety.  Not thrilled at the thought of Sinister Dexter returning again next week.

ZenArcade

Oh for F##k's sake not more Sinister Dexter. Z

Colin YNWA

Don't you lot make me warm up my Sinister Dexter dance...

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 September, 2015, 08:56:14 AM
Don't you lot make me warm up my Sinister Dexter dance...

Is it just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right?  And then please jeebus stop there.