Main Menu

1567- Swing Out Stronty

Started by Huey2, 20 December, 2007, 07:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Hmmm, I liked the balls up in timing. Great big luvverly prog 2008, a two week break, new prog, two week break, regular progs. I think I'd prefer it if Tharg followed this model every year!

My thoughts:

Dredd - Nice art, rubbish story (I can't even remember the character from before.) I think Dredd has been so consistantly brilliant for so long now that throwaway strips are just getting in the way. Dredd's attitude to mutants felt a bit off too, considering current events.

Shakara - Nuts but beautiful.

Kingdom - Readable and intruiging. I like it but can't see why people are raving about this strip.

Stickleback - Joint prog highlight. What a horrible character he is!

Stront - The other highlight of the prog. Wagner expertly juggles drama with humour. For dramatic effect I'd have liked Billy to have stayed dead beyonf the last panel. Now that would have been a cliffhanger (excuse the pun.)

Leigh S

good call on the Stront cliffhanger, though my disappointment after 2 weeks of celebrating might ahve been too much to bear!

Mardroid

Dredd's attitude to mutants felt a bit off too, considering current events.

Not really, I don't think he said anything negative concerning mutants in general, only that there were reports that a mutant was causing trouble... and its his job to prevent trouble from perps whoever/whatever they are.

Course, it wasn't a mutant, but that was the info. he was given, and it's an easy assumption to make. That or an alien anyway.

I liked the remote control broomstick.

TordelBack

Dredd's attitude to mutants felt a bit off too, considering current events.

Poor Joe, that whispering campaign is really gathering strength!  Dredd hasn't gone "soft" on mutants - he's just realised that there are decent mutants (Novar, Moze and Henry, the Fargos), and lawbreaking mutants, and that the Law needs to distinguish between them on that basis, rather than their 'genetic status'.  Rampaging mutant beasts are a clear-cut case.

Pete Wells

Re: My Mutant comment - I dunno, it might have been a nice if Dredd could have made a comment along the lines of "A rampaging mutant, that's all I need!" or some such. Would have tied a weak story into the continuity.

TordelBack

Try as I might, I can't like Alan's modern take on Dredd.  The babelicious Roach art was nice, the story was okay-ish, but as usual, Dredd was just wrong for me.

I  loved everything else, but with four of my all-time favourite 2000AD strips running alongside the Dredd, that's no surprise.  

I, Cosh

Try as I might, I can't like Alan's modern take on Dredd.

Agree. It seems like, when he does write it, he's doing anything he can to avoid writing about Dredd: inventing pointless recurring characters and so forth.

On the bright side, mister Roach does draw exceedingly nice ladies.
We never really die.

Trout

I liked the ladies, too.

It was a strong prog overall, with a decent Dredd and excellent second parts of the other four.

Kingdom's bloody good, and Stickleback's my highlight.

I'm not bothered about the logo.

- Trout

The Amstor Computer

Agree. It seems like, when he does write it, he's doing anything he can to avoid writing about Dredd: inventing pointless recurring characters and so forth.

Perhaps out of consideration for Wagner? If he's only going to write a one-off for the strip every now and then, why not create a character like Toots who is essentially your own and whose adventures won't really impact upon the current "arc", or need to refer to it? Edginton has done the same with his time-traveller, as has Si Spurrier with Domino.

Oh, and the new logo reeks. The way it's used now it essentially hacks off the top of the page, duplicates the comic title & looks damn ugly. It just seems that finding a decent new design & identity for the comic is proving much harder than for the graphic novels.

Proudhuff

My Huffthoughts:

Dredd - what a come down after last progs vote-a-thon, I'm just wanting to see how the mutie thing pans out, this felt like a bit of a filler to be honest, sorry AG.

Shakara - Big frogs with shiney eyes, mental roboty things, great art work this is what 2000ad's about.

Kingdom - fine

Stickleback - Prog highlight. Bill Cody did indeed come to Britain, the stories of him and his native pals in Glasgow are a hoot!

Stront - How great is that artwork now CE has mastered the colouring?

Hate the new logo a waste of the top half of the page, what does it DO? does it help recognition? nope help if the comics are stacked behind one another? nope. what does it DO?

Huffski
DDT did a job on me