Main Menu

Y the Last Man : The last issue

Started by Satanist, 05 February, 2008, 02:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

No one else been reading this? The final issues out and after reading it I don't really know what to think. Did I like it? don't know

The ends been dragged out for so long now and my memory isn't what it used to be.

All my gears boxed up so I cannae even start a re-read to find out.

Any opinions?
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

nofuture

Beautiful and poetic ending with a nice shock twist with his *** (sentence stopped to avoid spoilers)
Very cool and quite emotion provocing for a comic book

johnnystress

Ive been getting the TPB's.

The last one I read I got a felling that it  was starting to meander a bit, which is a shame because I loved it at the start. I'm glad it's reached a conclusion ..but I hope it's a satisfactory one

Trout

Another TPB person here. Frankly, I'm none too hopeful for a decent ending, but I do want to see what happens. It's another example of a comic that started really well but drifted into... meh.

- Trout

Bart Oliver

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Floyd-the-k

I read the tpbs when I can get them from the library . I,
'm not too fussed if I never find out what happens. The ones I've been reading got a bit meandering lately (the one with the yakuza was just silly)

eggonlegs

ive read a few, now i want to know how it ends!!! no spoilers please

Marbles

beautiful, beautiful ending.

think 6 feet under.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Buttonman

Yeah I enjoyed it too. The scene where he euthenises @ was well done and that frame of the light fading in his eye brought me right back to the moment when Blackie the cat had his fatal jab and our eyes met for a second before he passed. 'I know' he says and I know what he means. Sorry Darkness! Beautifully done and a fine ending to a great series.

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/button71/?action=view¤t=BLACKIEMEM.jpg" target="_blank">http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/button71/BLACKIEMEM.jpg" border="0" alt="BLACKMEM">

Radbacker

trades for me too, absolulty love the first half, does meander the second but the quality of the characters kept me reading.  Cant wait, anyone know when the trades solicited.

CU Radbacker

Tweak72

I have found this gripping all the way through and i have found all 5 year story arch's lag a small amount in the course of the story but the beauty of getting TPB is it is easier to get past that point. and to be honest Y is so different to most other storey's it was always worth keeping up with. it will be with my complete collections of Preacher, Transmetropliton and my complete Bone (Stop laughing at the back) book

this is from a recent 'BadSignal' By Warren Ellis just because he says it better.

"*  We've  already spoken, but it's worth saying in public that Brian
Vaughan ended Y:  THE LAST MAN just incredibly well this
week.  And the way Pia Guerra has  grown as an artist in the last
five years is astonishing.  Raise a glass  to the pair of them tonight.
There aren't many of us in the five-year club,  after all.  Wrestling an
original creator-owned book to sixty issues is  tough enough --
ending it well is even tougher.

*  And, since  you're all sick of me saying it, here's Brian saying it,
from a recent  Newsarama interview:

"...Iâ??m always shocked by my fellow creators who are  reluctant to
make their own characters solely because they donâ??t think that
creator-owned books can be profitable. I was paid very handsomely
to  write Top 10 books like Buffy or Ultimate X-Men... but it was
definitely a  pay-cut compared to what my artistic collaborators and
I make over the long  run for relatively lower selling work that we OWN,
which will be taking care  of us in various forms for years to come. Plus,
whatâ??s more fun than making  something new?"

-- W"

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Satanist

Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed most of this its just that the last years have taken so long that I feel I missed quite a bit of the story.

As I said I do plan on rereading the whole lot as soon as I can get them together. Still haven't read 7 Soldiers...or the Programme...or Ex Machina. I really should just start buying trades.

***Comic fans nightmare - I had to pack about 12 boxes in a rush and store them with friends and family. There was no order to the packing so I don't have a clue where everything is!***
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Bico

"Another TPB person here. Frankly, I'm none too hopeful for a decent ending, but I do want to see what happens. It's another example of a comic that started really well but drifted into... meh"

A common problem with Vaughn's writing, unfortunately.  His early runs on any given title are worth checking out - he usually comes on board with a whole bag of ideas and throws them at you in rapid succession.  It's only when he stops doing that you might start analysing the characters and plot and start unintentionally picking holes.

Regardless, I'm hoping for a good ending to Y - it'd be a shame for a creator-owned series with so high a profile to fall at the last hurdle, as it sends the wrong message to industry people.

Something Fishy

I'm hoping to receive this soon, didn't know it was out.  Hoping it ends well.

TordelBack

As I mentioned ecently in some other thread, the Vaughan issues of Buffy are amazingly good, if you liked the series (I did).