Main Menu

2000AD Lego builds

Started by ming, 10 February, 2014, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Woolly on 17 March, 2018, 05:29:43 PM
I've run out of superlatives for these creations. Just cannot praise them enough!

Pretty much sums it up. As soon as you think these have got as good as they can get something like Cal and Fish comes along. You need to build new superlatives out of lego for us to use.

SpaceSpinner2000

Judge Fish is my new fave! OMG
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

ming

Thanks, as always, for the kind words!  I've really been enjoying these (and it probably shows).  Very different from the simple stuff (War Games, Boing®, et al.) and the other, more story-based stuff (The Teeth, Cry of the Werewolf, etc.) but these seem to go down well with the boys - there's nothing better than hearing one of them saying something like "that's a really good Uncle Ump, Daddy!"...  Aaww.

I'll chip away at a few other characters when I get time; some will be completed but I might have to abandon others if I can't figure out a way to get them to work at this scale.  I toyed with the idea of adding Grampus or a generic Klegg to Cal & Fish but I'd have to change the head shape and that's a slippery slope...

Suggestions for other characters to have a crack at are very welcome!

IndigoPrime

This could be an interesting parts pack for kicking off new Brickheadz:

https://brickset.com/article/35172/review-41597-go-brick-me

sheridan

Quote from: ming on 21 March, 2018, 09:20:17 AM

But what's been done already?  It'd take ages to go through 33 pages of this thread, right?

Still existing following the photobucket purge of 2017:

ming

Quote from: sheridan on 07 April, 2018, 05:32:07 PM

But what's been done already?  It'd take ages to go through 33 pages of this thread, right?

Blimey - I have been busy!  Mind you, it's been a few years since we embarked on this...  Thanks for the handy list, though - much appreciated!

sheridan

Quote from: ming on 13 April, 2018, 02:45:36 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 07 April, 2018, 05:32:07 PM

Blimey - I have been busy!  Mind you, it's been a few years since we embarked on this...  Thanks for the handy list, though - much appreciated!

Least I could do after the work you've put in!  This thread brings much pleasure to our household (well, the cat seems disinterested, but that's par for the course for anything except wet food or dreamies).

Actually, one or two of those are by people other than you - should possibly have marked that when I was compiling the list - too late now!

ming

Back in the 2000AD Lego saddle with a pair of characters I've had in mind for ages but imagined would probably be beyond me.  Not sure that these are 100% done but they're close, I think (and as always they'll look better with the proper eyes).  Will order the bits in due course and ponder what to take a crack at next...

IndigoPrime

Two characters I wouldn't have thought could work in this form. Lego should hire you.

Hawkmumbler

The chin. You managed to do the chin!

IndigoPrime

I'd forgotten just how good some of these were: Uncle Ump, Nemesis and Torque in particular really stand out. And I must at some point get around to Bricklinking Johnny Alpha and Wulf, which I've been meaning to do for bloody ages.

ming

Thanks, as always, for the kind words!  These continue to be a joy to do as well as educational for the younglings...

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 29 August, 2018, 11:06:55 AM
The chin. You managed to do the chin!

You can't have D.R. without The Chin, really.  It's hard to do satisfactorily though - the chin bumps need to be represented without them dominating too much.  I've tried another approach (using the ice cream bits) but they need setting back a bit otherwise they jut out too far.  Side-by-side comparison below; not sure which I'll opt for yet (I'll probably order the extra few bits so I can try both).  (And the ears are in place here but I can't angle them in Stud.io; they look okay in the phyiscal test-build I've done though.)

TordelBack

That's like, totally awesome, man.

SpaceSpinner2000

The pompadour is also a work of art! Excellent lift!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

ming

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 29 August, 2018, 05:03:47 PM
The pompadour is also a work of art! Excellent lift!

Luckily D.R. has those long feet - he needs them to counterbalance the quiff*.  This pair ended up being pretty easy once I got started (I spent a LOT longer trying to figure out Anderson's hair).  I should open my own styling salon!  :)

I'm looking at my list of candidate characters and thinking about what to attempt next...  Most are probably a bit over-ambitious but we'll see what I can come up with in due course.

* Not the best quiff in 2000AD (those would be in Sooner or Later) but a close-run thing.