Main Menu

prog 2184 End Times A-Coming

Started by The Monarch, 01 June, 2020, 03:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 June, 2020, 09:52:49 AM
Quote from: Timothy on 03 June, 2020, 09:45:54 AM
Wasn't Full Tilt Boogie meant to start this week or have I misremembered?

There have defo been some changes based on the solicitations - but then they do come out way ahead of time and don't anticipate global pandemics. I think we were expecting:

Dredd (Of course)
Full Tilt Bogie
Slaine
A New story but not Diabolics
The Order

So I imagine for all sorts of reasons Thargs had to be juggling things and its this type of thing that makes me so pleased that the good ship 2000ad is being kept on its journey uninterrupted, all be it taking a slightly different route.

Adding to this I just read that Slaine is rescheduled for September: https://downthetubes.net/?p=118596
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

I've adjusted the number and Tag-line, so things should tie-up better now. I'm not reading spoiler threads till I get my prog.

Praise be to TMO and all the droids for keeping it together and getting the prog out.

I'd love to know what the rationale is for the cover design this week. I don't get the black box at all. Why not crop into Steve's linework? There must be a reason, so I'm just wondering.

Steven Austin

Hi all, not often I actually post anything on the forum as don't often have much to say, however there seems to be some question as to the rationale behind the use of black bordering the cover design and I thought i'd shed some light on why (I think) this is.
When I drew the cover last September/October I realised that I hadn't left quite enough room for the 2000ad logo, or at least not enough room that Dredd's head wouldn't be covering a large portion of it so decided to finish the design and then extend the top of the image electronically - which I did. My thought behind this was that it would give the graphic droids room to maneuver and move the image down as much as they felt it needed to be for the title, this would have meant losing a little of the buildings below Dredd. However I didn't convey this and assumed they would crop it as they saw fit, however, and to their credit, from what I can see from the published cover they decided to keep the image in its entirety and make up for the fact it is too long for the prog format through the inclusion of the blacks. For what its worth I actually like the black border and think it gives it a darker more sinister air which is fitting with the tagline BUT get why there is some confusion, hence me dropping in!!  :D

JayzusB.Christ

I liked the black border too, and thought it made the illustration stand out more.  Which is fecking awesome, by the way; congrats to the above Six-Million-Dollar Droid Mr Austin.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Bolt-01

See, there 'was' a reason.

Thanks for clearing that up Steven - I remember seeing this on your table at TB so to have it as a prog cover now shows just how far in advance TMO thinks.

Proudhuff

Great cover and given blackout Tuesday was the day I received mine, very apt, especially watching the protest s across the world.  I can also understand why TMO will be nervous of this image and title going out this week.

Dredd is stunning, the art, the story and nod to the horse motif along that guest appearance, wonderful stuff.

Sin/Dex, oh what a cliff hanger, will they survive, tune in next week chums....

New World Order...Never really got this, I think it's the worms motivation that perplexes me, and their sidekicks too.

The new world order raises its head again in Futureshocks and very good it is to, so much RAW in one story, everything is under control

Diaboliks bookends well with Dredd, hopefully the Grennie droid will give this his nice light touch and take us all on a epic hurl, fingers crossed

Nice starscan by Cornwell, the lighting effort seen to draw one's eye to Old Stoney Face's lunchbox, Shirley shoom mistook! 
DDT did a job on me

Leigh S

now Dredd is Rob Williamsy meaas I'm a little disengaged in it already I'm afraid - the fact it plays with something I think marrs his work for me, the idea of fiction that knows it is fiction.  One way it would have won me over, peculiarly, is if [spoiler]the head had been the Millar/Morrison Crusade macguffin head[/spoiler] - I'd have laughed my socks off over that!

Another good Future Shock, a sure sign of the End Times as advertised on the lovely cover, which I had* to buy as my sub has yet to land.....

*didn't have to, but they had about 4 copies in the shop, and it's been a while...

Goaty

Back after so long break to said the latest prog is the best I ever read in long time!!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Goaty on 03 June, 2020, 06:53:05 PM
Back after so long break to said the latest prog is the best I ever read in long time!!

Wow Pete Wells and Goaty in one week - we're blessed we is.

DeadBeat

I wouldn't explain a damn thing, Steve. It's an amazing piece of art on an amazing cover.

73north

Firstly - what a great cover
The Prog 2000AD certainly proves we are miles better than the drivel Marvel are supposedly putting out
- eg  New Warriors ( Internet Gas )

Dredd - What Can I say , it seems to be an epic that is along the lines of what potentially Johnny Alpha had when he entered Hell -
but set in Mega City One and with Judge Dredd - what's not to like
I read the issue , then watched the Podcast involving Rob Williams - so I think I am on the right lines
I totally think this is another superb story along the lines of Titan - the art by Colin MacNeil was superb
looking forward to the next part !!! ( 5 out of 5 )

Sinister Dexte
r new story  Bulletopia - looks to be a cracking new story - 5 out of 5

The Order was actually pretty good ( I never thought I would be typing this ... re the ORDER )
3 out 5 - and its merited ( as ever the art is fab )

Future Shock was very good- with a nice twist - one of the best Future Shocks for a while
( 5 out of 5 )

The Diaboliks is the new story from Gordon Rennie - not a bad effort - I need to see the next part and see it develop ( 3 out of 5 )

overall , a fabulous read - and Dredd was the standout part for me
I look forward to Full Tilt Boogie next week  !!

TordelBack

Well, that was certainly a surprising prog!

Great cover, the black frame actually makes it stand out more.

Dredd, lovely work from MacNeil, but haven't I read this episode before? Isn't this almost exactly the start of Origins? I certainly wouldn't have guessed the twist, but nor would I necessarily have welcomed it. I don't mind the donor strip, at all,  but one can have too much 3rd-wall breaking. Still, at least it looks like we might learn something about Shergar the Wonder Horse. Or not. Anyway, worst comes to the worst I can always look at the very pretty pictures.

Diaboliks. Yay! A welcome return to The Cabsverse, and to Dom's electrifying art.

Sinister Dexter off to a great start, beginning to nicely pull together the pieces of the last few years,  with Yeowell  on fine form.

Future Shock: very enjoyable in every respect, some beautiful designs.

The Order.  I will never say no to more of this madness. Amusing that Ben Franklin was living under the alias of one of his fake-news columnists,  and perhaps a missed opportunity in that's it's also the name over Winnie the Pooh's door?

Woolly

Y'know, after reading this week's Dredd, I kinda wish it was [spoiler]Sid and his mates[/spoiler] who turned up! [spoiler]I loved Ichabod when he first appeared in the Prog, but eventually lost interest when it all went up it's own arse. (I sometimes feel I'm just not smart enough for Rob Williams' stuff. Not a slight on his skills!) Not sure Dredd needs this...[/spoiler]

That said, this opening episode already lays some groundwork for this [spoiler]all being a dream[/spoiler], and regardless of whether I like it or not, the Williams droid can certainly write a good page-turner.

Fingers crossed!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Quote from: broodblik on 04 June, 2020, 04:54:10 AM
Here is an article related to Williams Dredd tale: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/judge-dredd-writer-how-end-days-presents-a-new-challenge-1297059?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

It looks like it will run for 15 weeks.

How do you modify a post because I wanted to add a spoiler warning for people who has not yet read the Dredd episode since key things are talked about here