Main Menu

The Vigilant

Started by Leigh S, 11 August, 2018, 11:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

Great artwork, the story was hard to follow at points but very enjoyable and would pick this up if it went monthly

Steve Green

Read it on the way home from the signing - agree that it could have been expanded to give it a chance to breathe. It was a bit like being dropped into the climax of Zenith without too much build-up.

Still enjoyed it though.

I'm not sure it was necessary to cram quite so many characters in there, felt like it could have been a 3 issue series.

Liked the Steel Commando and Deathwish standalones, not read the Yao one yet.

Is the Iron Major from something, the only one I could find online wasn't British.

Liked the Nazi/Judge Fear combo headgear, thought that was pretty striking.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Steve Green on 19 August, 2018, 12:26:28 PMIs the Iron Major from something, the only one I could find online wasn't British.
The character's from Jet.

Steve Green

Greg M.

Read this today. Art's good, script is... well, I can see what Furman was aiming for, but I don't think it quite works. When Marvel and DC do this sort of infinite crisis crossover, they're reliant on pre-existing knowledge of a shared universe - depending on their vintage, the readers might not know all the featured characters, but they know enough of them to be invested in the story. Most of the characters in The Vigilant (or The Forgotten, as Dr Sin seems to think the comic is called) haven't seen print in at least thirty years. They needed to be much fewer in number and much more strongly established within the story itself, rather than just their introductory bio. I could have seen either Blake Edmonds or the Leopard From Lime Street (probably more so the latter) as good focal point characters to give readers an in-roads into events - I feel the story needs more of an anchor.

robert_ellis

This is break-neck gibberish with beautiful art. I feel like I'm reading part 11 of a 12 part series. I don't have time to engage with anyone. It's absurdly dense. Zenith Phase iii (which this kind of resembles) works because we know and care about a couple of the characters. Go read 'The Magic Order' by Mark Millar and see how each character gets 3 pages to settle with the audience before the fireworks begin. I guess this might work better for people who know all the characters - are there any readers like that? I was delighted to see a certain SCREAM character. Let's have more with a slower pace. Great art & good to see Dani on the back-up strip.

Hawkmumbler

I did find some of the choices odd, Steel Commando though a popular character lacks the iconic nature of Robot Archie, arguably one of the few truly well known British comic characters of the era.

Funny looking back on all the crossovers these strips had, The Spider vs. Robot Archie, Archie against Steel Commando, Steel Commando meets Cpt. Hurricane, I have to wonder how long it will be before we see the more well known figures of IPCs catalogue.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Suffers from the same faults as so many contemporary comics - disembodied first person narratives and incongruous time/location shifts that take so much concentration and deduction to work out that the joy of reading is removed by exhaustion ... Emma Beeby's otherwise excellent writing is also marred by this tendency. The art is spellbinding, though, muscularly bursting every page.

Woolly

I enjoyed this in a baffled way. No real idea whats going on to be honest, but it still flowed pretty well.

It felt a bit like an episode of Frankie Boyle's Rex Royd.

Blue Cactus

I wasn't sure if I enjoyed this or not. No doubt Coleby is great. I have a lot of time for Furman as an avid reader and re-reader of his UK Transformers stuff. I have no memory of any of these chacacters, so there's no nostalgia factor for me at all. As such the story itself was what I imagine a lot of Marvel and DC stuff to be like, which is why I don't read a lot of Marvel and DC superhero stuff. There were some character moments, but not enough to get your teeth into. The action gave no time to rest or take anything in. I dunno. The use of the 13th floor was absolutely nuts though, the kind of bonkers nonsensical idea I might have come up with as a kid playing one story mixing action figures from Star Wars, He-Man, Thundercats and M.A.S.K. all at the same time. Which I liked! But surely it would have been utterly confusing for any new readers why Max was sending illusory giant rats at them while they were having a team meeting! The comic was a headscratcher for me. Not sure if I'd buy an ongoing series.

DrJomster

Think I agree with the general feeling. It's too dense for me, but I'd really like to see more if it were a bit more spread out. I would definitely pick up the next release, particularly if it was over several issues.

It's a bit like an advert for future material, as in one of the previous summer or autumn specials. That said, I think it's brilliant that we are getting this kind of material and I really hope this continues in years to come.

Ps. Lots of gorgeous art!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

IndigoPrime

Thinking about this more, it was like a trailer. Dense, a bit bewildering, but providing an insight into what the full thing might be. I suspect a full series would be a bit more relaxed (if not, I think it'd break a bunch of readers).

TordelBack

Finally got my sweaty mitts on this today.  Forewarned by this thread, I started reading the shorts at the back first, re-familiarising myself with as many of the cast as possible before tackling the main story: and it worked brilliantly. 

Particularly enjoyed the Steel Commando one, a very sharply told origin that seemed to cover more ground than the whole of the original run, lovely Staz Johnson art and colours by my current hero of that art, John Charles.

You get a lot of value for your €5: I'll get more of this as soon as it's available.  In the meantime, heading back for a re-read.

broodblik

I will get this if it continues as an ongoing series. I just think that for the first volume they tried to much with a very complex story line. Also too many characters from the word go and would have preferred a systematically introduction of characters into the main story. 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Smith

Honestly,this felt like issue #8 of a big crisis crossover.Its confusing.